Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joining the service

I'm not. I'd rather kill myself than join (no disrespect to anyone in any service)

Haha as a matter of fact my brother was approached by a Navy recruiter just yesterday or so. As we've both wanted to join for a fair amount of years, its fair to say thats what we're shooting for in another year or two.

Well looking back I might wish I had. I seriously wanted to join the Navy and be a "Nuke" on the subs but my shy bladder held me back. My sister joined right out of collage (78), wen't to OCS, rose through the ranks and retired a full captian a few years back at age 50. With her pension and medical benefits she's livi'n it up on the beach and will never have to work another day again as long as she lives. I'll have to die in order to retire.

I'm seriously considering enlisting when the semester is up. I have a suspicion that if I don't enlist, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Since I'm almost done with my degree, I can take the few classes on Uncle Sam's dime while on active service, go to OCS, and become an officer after a few years of enlisted service. I'm considering the Army or the Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I'm not. I'd rather kill myself than join (no disrespect to anyone in any service)
    My feelings exactly. Military service is theoretically mandatory in Sweden, but as they get no funding most people don't have to do it. It's actually become a competition between those who want to do it to get in the army. Personally, I couldn't be happier with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
    Some would say they're the same thing.