Thread: Using pacifiers/dummies long-term

Question Using pacifiers/dummies long-term

I'm English so I'm going to reserve the right to call it a dummy!

I use a dummy a lot- basically if I'm alone and not eating or drinking, it's in my mouth. I also sleep with it and it stays in my mouth all night.

Shout out to all the other babies who use dummies- which I'm guessing is all of you! Have you noticed or read about this having a negative affect on front teeth? My teeth are important to me and I don't want to damage them. On a positive note, I think it must mean I can no longer grind my teeth at night as I used to.

When I used baby dummies, I could definitely feel a significant strain on my mouth in the morning. It is less of a problem with the adult dummies (NUK 5) but I can still feel some pressure in my mouth and muscles whenever I remove it.

Thanks,
    Annie

You will get used to it the more you use your dummy. I use mine and sleep with it some nights so I am used to mine and I feel nothing when I wake up.

Your experience will vary I think. I personally sleep with a pacifier most nights, which also tends to stay in mouth. I also suck my thumb or the pacifier during the day on occasion, but not as much as I used to. My teeth have shifted slightly, but it's not very noticeable. A few of my top front ones no longer touch the bottom.

I have on occasion slept with a pacifier in my mouth, I like the baby ones, and I did notice a strain on my muscles in my mouth when I woke up, but sometimes it fell out of my mouth during the night.

I'm a long term dummy user (around 8 hours every night) and sometimes I feel strain on my front teeth. It goes away though an hour or so after I take my dummy out in a morning.

I ended up with a gap in my teeth after several months when I first started. Now a days I wear my retainer while I suck on my binkie. I also have a wire on the back of my front teeth.

I've had to get braces 3 times though even without binkies.

Quote Originally Posted by annaabc123 View Post
    I'm English so I'm going to reserve the right to call it a dummy!

I use a dummy a lot- basically if I'm alone and not eating or drinking, it's in my mouth. I also sleep with it and it stays in my mouth all night.

Shout out to all the other babies who use dummies- which I'm guessing is all of you! Have you noticed or read about this having a negative affect on front teeth? My teeth are important to me and I don't want to damage them. On a positive note, I think it must mean I can no longer grind my teeth at night as I used to.

When I used baby dummies, I could definitely feel a significant strain on my mouth in the morning. It is less of a problem with the adult dummies (NUK 5) but I can still feel some pressure in my mouth and muscles whenever I remove it.

Thanks,
    Annie
    I read this article long ago, I believe you'll find it very relevant.I've seen it reposted on many sites, so I trust it to be mostly true.

My teeth shifted because of my use of a pacifier so, I stopped using it though, I was using a baby one not an adult one which was suggested later on

Thanks for all your responses. Though I'm really conflicted now!! Might just limit my use a little and see how it goes.