Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabpad

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Hello everyone,

I started my 24/7 journey soon two weeks ago. Problem is i'm getting leaks from every diaper. I use Tena Super for the day and Maxi for the night but sometimes when i'm in school and I see that I've leaked quite a lot I often get so frustrated that I go back home and put on a Maxi. I seriously don't know what i'm doing wrong. Today I changed my maxi after only 3h!!! And even then it was some small leaking at the crotch. The tena Super I had to change every 2-3 h. All I had for drink was one 50 cl drink (over several hours), so I didn't even drink much. I mostly sat in the library so when I peed everything accumulated in the front of the diaper. This is probably why it leaked all day, I believe.

I seriously don't know how to solve this. As i'm new to 24/7 I don't know if leaking this much is normal and to be expected. I can't use a maxi during the day since it's bulging quite much and with super I have to change way more often and it feels like it's leaking more? I mean, I can't change every 2 hours, then what's the point of having a diaper?

Are you guys also leaking? Is this a part of being incontinent? What should I do?

You will have to seek out a better Diaper like the Abena Abri Form X plus M or L 4 or the Dry 24-7 you need the max ASAP! or if you want to be bold the Idiyl a blue pretty one or DC Amour a pink one also cute as well.

Sorry yes leaks are part of being IC realistically.

3 things you can do. 1st swap to a better diaper, Tena used to make good products a very long time ago now they are shrink flation junk. I would recommend anything from ABU personally.

2nd booster pads, if you plan it right after your booster starts to get wet you discard for comfort and rely on your diaper for the rest of its service.

3rd is plastic plants over your diaper for an added bit of protection.... I personally don't like this due to excess heat, crinkling, having extra clothing and then you have a damp layer making trickey changing.

Argent,
I never could for the life of me think of the reason for Plastic pants since when you "break the seal" of the plastic pants to change if there is liquid between the diaper and the plastic pants you become instantly wet! defeats the purpose of them right ? sure it will keep you dry while the seal is there when you pull down the plastic pants instantly you become wet and everything around you becomes wet also. I tried plastic pants once and threw them suckers away! To me its pointless dry for hours and wet in seconds crikey !

Wow, how much were you leaking, and were you using depends or something? Diaper covers in general are only intended to catch, that first little bit of pee and help you realize you've leaked so you can go change really quick. And even if you do leak a lot into a diaper cover, you could pull the top of them down just enough to put a wad of tp down there to soak up the pee. Only then would you remove the plastic pants.

Everybody leaks sometimes, but with the right product not often, not a lot, and not without some notice. I did test a bag of Molicares that seemed to "give up" a little too easily and stopped wearing them, and have had a couple Abena 3's that seemed to spring little leaks in areas that should clearly be waterproof. I'm not familiar with the European Tena Supers, but do they have leak guards? That might make a difference, but a quick web search was inconclusive. For the short term, to use up those Supers, I can't think of anything better than a booster.

Hang in there!!!

Last edited:
xpluswearer said:
Argent,
I never could for the life of me think of the reason for Plastic pants since when you "break the seal" of the plastic pants to change if there is liquid between the diaper and the plastic pants you become instantly wet! defeats the purpose of them right ? sure it will keep you dry while the seal is there when you pull down the plastic pants instantly you become wet and everything around you becomes wet also. I tried plastic pants once and threw them suckers away! To me its pointless dry for hours and wet in seconds crikey !

Yep that was my experience too hence not using them but sometimes it can prove helpful.

Argent said:
Yep that was my experience too hence not using them but sometimes it can prove helpful.

Plastic pants are not made to hold liquid. They are made to use over cloth diapers, which hold the liquid while the pant acts as a waterproof barrier. I never understood plastic pants over disposables, except maybe to mask the noise or prevent a messy diaper from getting worse.

To the OP. Leaks are a matter of either: poor fit, low absorbency, too much peeing or you've stayed in your diaper too long. Sometimes in guys they can also be the result of 'pointing' the wrong direction (basically anyplace else but down). I've had many leaks over the years. Move up to a more absorbent diaper and don't drink like a fish.

Spaz said:
To the OP. Leaks are a matter of either: poor fit, low absorbency, too much peeing or you've stayed in your diaper too long.
Low absorbency doesn't necessarily cause leaks, exceeding the absorbency in a specific location does. Two other factors that matter are absorption speed (a super absorbent material does you no good if it takes hours to fully do it's job), and wicking ability (all the absorbency in the world doesn't help if you can only use a tiny fraction of if).

Bad quality diapers and flooding seem to be the big contributing factors to leaking to the best of my knowledge.

Ok so basically if i'm sitting down all day (limiting absorption to only half the diaper) I should wear something thick like maxi so I don't have to change every 2 hours? As I understood it you guys are saying that leaking is when the diaper has reached its limit. But i've experienced that even before it's reached its limit is a little damp on the sides of the crotch area (like a thin line of damp area).

Also, people recommending discreet options are tena plus, do they change every 2 hours? Cause even a maxi only lasts me for 4h

Fabpad said:
As i'm new to 24/7 I don't know if leaking this much is normal and to be expected.
I'd say it isn't - not on every diaper or every couple of diapers, which is what you seem to be experiencing. I have minor leaks on average maybe 1 every 15 to 25 diapers, but usually not big enough to be a problem - not big enough for me even to be sure they're leaks, I just suspect from experience that they are. An actual major leak, less than 1 in every 250 diapers, I think.

xpluswearer said:
Argent,
Well, with cloth, plastics provide the same function as the backing of a disposable diaper.

I wear plastics with my disposables. I use them as a barrier against smell and tiny leaks through the diaper cover, which you often get with cloth-like disposables - using plastics means I can still buy relatively cheap disposables (rather than buying expensive plastic-backed or wearing indiscreet cloth) but get damn good protection against smells and tiny leaks.

Fabpad said:
As I understood it you guys are saying that leaking is when the diaper has reached its limit. But i've experienced that even before it's reached its limit is a little damp on the sides of the crotch area (like a thin line of damp area).
Not its total limit, but its local limit in that specific spot. Once the padding in one spot has taken all it can hold, any liquid reaching that area has to go somewhere else. Ideally that somewhere else will be into the adjacent padding, but if it happens to be adjacent to an opening, you'll get a leak.

If you're going to wet while sitting, what you really need is a diaper that wicks well. Then use it very slowly so that there's time for liquid to disperse. I'd also recommend experimenting with different taping schemes. Also make sure the bottom of the padding has a V shaped channel in it, rather than a W. That will help encourage liquid to pool in the center where there's time to absorb it, rather than against the leg gathers where it'll leak out.

irnub said:
Not its total limit, but its local limit in that specific spot. Once the padding in one spot has taken all it can hold, any liquid reaching that area has to go somewhere else. Ideally that somewhere else will be into the adjacent padding, but if it happens to be adjacent to an opening, you'll get a leak.

If you're going to wet while sitting, what you really need is a diaper that wicks well. Then use it very slowly so that there's time for liquid to disperse. I'd also recommend experimenting with different taping schemes. Also make sure the bottom of the padding has a V shaped channel in it, rather than a W. That will help encourage liquid to pool in the center where there's time to absorb it, rather than against the leg gathers where it'll leak out.

Do you know any diaper that has superior wicking capability compared to tena? (if you haven't tried tena so that you could compare then no need to answer this question)

Not sure what you mean with the V and W shaped channels.

Btw, if anyone have tried both tena super and maxi: I've noticed that maxi has some kind of filter that looks like a paper with small holes in it in the crotch area that super doesn't have. Anyone knows what function this serves and know why super doesn't have it? My theory is that it's the "wicking" ability or maybe it catches urine in these small holes when the absorbent material is already full and then slowly releases it (prevents overflooding)

Just my wild guesses and also slightly off topic perhaps.

Fabpad,
here is a answer on the V or W channel in your padding If you just take the diaper out of the bag and just tape it on you will have a W channel in your crotch, Now if you take the diaper and open it all the way and fold the diaper LONGWAYS in half both sides meeting and you fold the diaper or press down and it will make a V channel which will make your Diaper last longer .
hope that helps you out .

Fabpad said:
Do you know any diaper that has superior wicking capability compared to tena? (if you haven't tried tena so that you could compare then no need to answer this question)

I've worn only the US Tena diapers (years ago), but recently tested the Abena M3's and Seni Super Plus, which both seem to wick quite well. Both are cloth covered, but reasonably discrete until they get really wet. (The Seni's have a wider crotch and a little more "bulk".) You might still want plastic pants, because some of my M3's seem to leak small amounts through the waterproof layer, as Kaliborio mentioned.

Fabpad said:
Btw, if anyone have tried both tena super and maxi: I've noticed that maxi has some kind of filter that looks like a paper with small holes in it in the crotch area that super doesn't have. Anyone knows what function this serves and know why super doesn't have it? My theory is that it's the "wicking" ability or maybe it catches urine in these small holes when the absorbent material is already full and then slowly releases it (prevents overflooding)

That is probably a shield to separate the wet part of the diaper from your body when you're sitting. My understanding is the wicking capability comes from paper pulp that's mixed with the gel crystals and other ingredients in the padding. It isn't something you can see.

Fabpad said:
It's been a long time since I wore tena slip maxi, and the rest of the US based tena is terrible, but I did wear them back to back with molicare, and I've found molicare to be the absolute best when it comes to wicking. The published (and even tested) capacity is low, but it was not uncommon for me to change a molicare that I was wetting while sitting down and find that even the padding all the way up the back has been used. Contrast that with an M4 that can hold twice as much (in theory) but then will feel like it's about to leak but only the front padding is used up.

Fabpad said:
Not sure what you mean with the V and W shaped channels.
Fold the diaper in half lengthwise so that the internal padding touches itself, that's a V shaped channel. If you just tape it up without encouraging it into a V shape, it'll make a W shape with the leak guards making the outside edges of the W.

I usually only get leaks when either:

My diaper doesn't fit
Or
I put far Too much baby powder in one and it can't absorb well.

I don't know how many times I've had to say this... You flood, you leak. Most adult diapers on the market can't handle flooding. They aren't meant to contain floods. SAP needs time to absorb. It's not instant.

Do an experiment, open a diaper and pee in it without putting it on. Observe how long it takes to absorb, look at how the leak guards are effected. Then try to rewet and see how much longer it takes.

the crotch acts like a dam. No one has seemed to solve this problem in adult products. Molicare super plus is the best at wicking front to back. I would suggest Molicare and a booster. Padding can tend to bunch in the butt side of the crotch as well. I find that I have to always check and re position that part of the padding during the day. Lastly, leak guards don't always work the way should. if pee gets on the other side of the leak guard it creates a gutter that directs all the pee right down your leg! This is when pointing up. Still, I like pointing up and I like flooding. If they made a comfortable condom catheter, that could be a good solution. Haven't seen anything like that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back