Tab diapers without feeling unable to opt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Okay guys, I have a brother/bestie. Who's big just kinda depends on how we feel. He's a newbie, and hell, I might as well be. We're busy planning his first playtime. There's an element of volition I don't wanna take away from him. He knows he has a choice, toilet or not, and I won't be unhappy with whichever one at whatever time. He likes the idea of not needing me until things get, ehem. . . Heavy? Did I put it delicately enough?

I totally get it. He wants pull-ups. No fear there. I'm disabled, which means Macgiverism is in my blood. I've told him the only issue with pull-ups is, you gotta take off all your lower half clothes to put a new one on. I said, "Hey, wait. You're British. Can you fake a Scottish accent?"

Kilt joke there.

Now that he knows the fatal flaw of every pull-up ever, he and I are thinking ABU Preschool. We'll be adding temporary tattoos, to make an all-over print. He says the plastic landing zone won't bother him, as long as it doesn't make much noise.

Here's the thing. I'd voluntarily be seen in the most babyish diaper ever, by my backwards-ass, ultra conservative other side of the family, before I'd ever hurt him, or take his freedom of choice. Is handling potty trips easy enough in the Preschool, without ruining the tapes? I assume that's what front and rear waistbands are for, and the Preschool only has the rear one.
How does one wiggle down a tape diaper, without removing the tapes? How many tape removals we got before they lose stickiness?

I'm so glad our main interest is cloth, and we'll only need disposables when out!

I've heard a few people here talk about sliding their diapers off without undoing the tapes. I think it depends a lot on one's body shape. I'm big-hipped and big-butted, and if I've snugged my diapers to where they won't fall down on their own, they also refuse to be pulled down. No chance! I've got too much of a built-in "ledge", I guess. :shrug: The rear waistband elastics are usually mostly above the level of the tapes, too, so their function is kind of limited. Mainly they make it harder for somebody to casually drop an ice cube down the back of your diaper. :rolleyes:

But on the re-stick-ability of the Preschool tapes, I have no experience to share, so I'll yield to a Preschool-wearer. Might wanna have some packing tape handy!

Cottontail said:
I've heard a few people here talk about sliding their diapers off without undoing the tapes. I think it depends a lot on one's body shape. I'm big-hipped and big-butted, and if I've snugged my diapers to where they won't fall down on their own, they also refuse to be pulled down. No chance! I've got too much of a built-in "ledge", I guess. :shrug: The rear waistband elastics are usually mostly above the level of the tapes, too, so their function is kind of limited. Mainly they make it harder for somebody to casually drop an ice cube down the back of your diaper. :rolleyes:

But on the re-stick-ability of the Preschool tapes, I have no experience to share, so I'll yield to a Preschool-wearer. Might wanna have some packing tape handy!

I can actually carefully pull down my Abena L4's, despite also having large hips and butt. Maybe it's because they're a little on the big side for me, and I might not have the same result in say, a DC Idyl, which fits me more snugly.

If you're careful to not touch the sticky part of the tapes and put the tapes back on the little tab they come adhered to (for safekeeping while the diaper is pulled down), you will have no trouble with at least 2-3 refastenings and possibly more. Just have to be careful; bring a mini-roll of duct tape with just in case.

Well,

Another option, some can go pee by shall we say, pull the little guy around the side...

I slide mine down when i have to go BM. Im only uranary incont.

Why not start off wearing a pull-up, then have a tabbed diaper ready to change into if the pull-up needs to go? I've done that before, and it makes a nice sort of one-shot deal as far as opting out midway through a day of wearing.

Then as far as pulling a diaper down, it's really going to depend on body type and how you tape it initially. I'm built like a stick (my circumference at waist, hips, and butt is almost identical), so I generally don't have to much trouble sliding them down but YMMV obviously. If you do end up untaping them, I recommend only undoing one set of tapes (e.g. only the top or only the bottom) and then attempting to slide it down. That way it's easier to slide back up and stick the tapes back in the same spot.

Cottontail said:

I can manage to slide taped diapers off without undoing the tapes, but my experience is that they always fit looser after you do that. Once they've been slid off once, they no longer stay up as well.

why pullups? todays cloth like diapers give you a snugger fit/ let you take them off no drawer rearranging necessary

rennecfox said:
why pullups? todays cloth like diapers give you a snugger fit/ let you take them off no drawer rearranging necessary
I'm guessing there's a desire for kiddish/babyish designs. Sadly, there aren't many cloth-backed adult diapers that have them.

rennecfox said:

It's easier to ditch a pull-up if the, "Oh, nope. Uh-uh. This is too. . .," gets us, and with a bit of reassurance that Sissy can't kill Bubba, and Bubba can't kill Sissy, 'cause if one of us did kill the other, the responsible party would go to jail, love whoever's feeling Little into putting it back on.

Tapes leave you up the creek without a paddle, if that happens, and even on cloth-like-backed with Velcro tabs, 2 tabs per side? What are we; old?! I know they have to put all those lines of different colors on there so nurses can identify the size by sight, but damn, really?!

Kinda like it's easier to have one foot in bigville, so he knows he hasn't completely lost his mind. I'm that way too. The IC disabled adult in me starts saying, "C'mon; at least try! Don't be lazy!"

Bubz is a spectrumite, so fine motor skills might be a bit of an issue, not enough, I'd imagine, to prevent him getting the tabs on and off, but enough to make them a pain in the padded tushy. I, on the other hand, have enough issues with my hands, that it's better if tabs and I don't communicate. I can do and undo tabs if I'm changing someone else, but not myself, because of the angle.

He still wants pull-ups, so I'm thinking Abri Flex Special, Abri San Special, booster combo, specially Mcgivered, so that the Abri San Special is pass though, everywhere the
Abri Flex Special padding touches, but is waterproof everywhere the Abri Flex Special isn't padded. That and a whole lot of temporary tattoo paper, and we should be all set.

Gawd, those Abri Flex Specials are expensive! It's okay. It probably just means they're still made of the better European materials everyone loved before they went to crap. The Abri Flex Specials are made for a tighter fit, and the elastic doesn't go as far up, so it doesn't scream, "elder," as loudly as others. I wish I knew what size to get, as I can't find samples of the Abri Flex Specials anywhere. Kid's lucky I love him so much!

As I've said, we're cloth people, but should my combo idea work?
I'll say this. If it does work, it'll be my travel and vacation solution, too. Who wants to come home and do a lot of cloth diaper laundry? I just want him comfortable. I wonder if he knows how special he is.

Last edited:
problem I've always had with pullups is... leaks... never had lucking getting a good fit, I've heard if you can but problem is you have to try a bunch of them and more likely are going to end up with a lot of unworking products in the closet

rennecfox said:
problem I've always had with pullups is... leaks... never had lucking getting a good fit, I've heard if you can but problem is you have to try a bunch of them and more likely are going to end up with a lot of unworking products in the closet
I know; right?! That's why I'm going with the tightest fit I can find, and boosting it with what's essentially a diaper, with the wings and tapes cut off, and a booster pad. Good news is, ABU is working on it.

Actually SpAzpie, I keep forgetting about the upcoming Bambino Magnifico diapers. Those might be the (nearer-term) answer to your pull-up needs. Having not tried them yet I can't say for certain (I missed out on the samples), but they have stretchy wings much like modern baby dispies, so that would probably be a good thing for what you're describing. I guess keep an eye on those. They're supposed to start shipping next month, and a proper review shouldn't take long.

So the Preschool. It's solid for what you're asking. The panel is useful and the tapes are large, so you can tape, then carefully undo the tapes and they'll stick again. I'd say second use is nearly as good as the first, though third is getting pretty iffy. I'm in the camp of just wriggle the diaper down for peeing, you don't have to go far, just pull the little guy out over the top and pee if that's what's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back