Flu Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone needs to get flu shots that are able to. Its about herd immunity. Some people with no immune system or other issues cannot have it due to allergies etc. Refusing to immunise is why diseases like measels is coming back and killing people, despite nearly being eradicated almost a generation ago.

AEsahaettr said:
A few years ago the government finally rounded up funds (both public and private) to develop a flu vaccine that can be manufactured in vitro. I'm not sure when they anticipate having an egg-free flu vaccine but it's coming.
There has been an egg free vaccine available in Europe for like 20 years , but the FDA will not allow it in the country, every now and then I try to get my Doctor's to try the vaccinating me and none of them will do it, when I went to my first day of 1st grade I got off the school bus to a waiting reception of school administrators and Police who told me I was expelled because I could not have the childhood immunizations either , and at the time allergy to the vaccine was not allowed by law , the only exemptions were Religous or dietary, the school district then filed abuse charges against my parents , we spent four years with legal bills out the wazoo and in court, ultimately we prevailed and set a case law precedent that made allergy a legal exemption, the districts pupil personnel director represented the district in court, when the verdict was rendered he went back to his office without saying anything to anyone and shot himself in the head.

I spent most of my early years of life thinking about the guys own kids , wondering if they hate me for causing his death , until I realized he did it, not me or my family.

At that time the principal and all of the teachers that I was supposed to have all came to the house and tutored me all during the case , and thought it was ridiculous that the district did this , I was the youngest of three so all the teachers had been the same that had my brother and sister and loved our family, so it created a huge commotion in town and all over the coast , photographers and writers from all over came and took pictures and wrote all about this during those years , those pictures are the only pictures I have from childhood, because as an adult I went and got copies of them from the different papers records.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You need to understand what a flu shot is first.

They find strains of the glue they believe are going on be prevalent during the year. They then put those strains into the shot, I believe about 25 is usually what they do.

So unless those are the only strains going around, the shot will work for you. But if you happen to contract a different strain, then you will get sick.

I don't get flu shots, haven't been sick for 3 years now. Fingers crossed!

Wow ... there are a lot of misconceptions about what the flu shot actually is. I would be happy to clarify this for a lot of people on here. Whether you choose to have it or not is your decision, I'll leave that part up to you, though.

So the flu shot itself is actually based on the opposite hemisphere's flu season. So if you are in the northern hemisphere (as most people on here are), your vaccine is based on what we experience in the southern hemisphere during our flu season (and vice versa). The reason for this is that each hemisphere's flu season (conveniently enough) is at exactly the opposite times of the year. This, however, only provides a guide as to what they might expect to see. It isn't perfect and there are plenty of reasons why this is that I'll explain a little later on.

Your standard flu vaccine is what is known as trivalent (tri meaning three). There are some others that are quadvalent, as well as a few different trivalent subtypes of vaccines. And there is also a lot changing as I know that in Australia here we are phasing out the trivalent and opting for the quadrivalent one instead (mostly because these have better coverage as well as are the recommendation for infants as well as elderly people). But I'll just focus on the most commonly used one. So the trivalent one covers three of the most common subtypes of influenza, two types of influenza A and one type of influenza B (with the quadrivalent covering two types of influenza B, instead of just one). These are selected as I mentioned based on what is seen during the influenza season of the opposite side of the world. Usually, there are a few different strains of A or B running around but they usually select the ones that are most commonly seen during that season.

The biggest confusion here is that there is a mix up with two different types of vaccine. The influenza one covers for the influenza virus whilst the other one commonly used is pneumococcal vaccine (called prevenar), given for a prevention of bacterial infection that can lead to pneumonia or severe respiratory infections. The pneumococcal vaccine is usually only given to infants and elderly people (as these people are susceptible to these infections) whilst the rest of us don't really need to have this vaccine past childhood. The prevenar vaccine has twp types, one that covers 13 strains and the newer one (that is replacing the older one) that covers 25 of the most commonly seen strains of pneumococcal.

Next, I want to address the most commonly said reason why people don't want to have the vaccine. I have heard many times that people don't have the vaccine as when they have it they seem to get sick more frequently than if they don't. Or, they say that after getting the vaccine that they end up becoming sick within the week and therefore if they don't have it they won't get sick. Both of these are associative things that happen and I can assure you that the vaccine is not the causative reason (and I'll even explain why). Firstly, most of the "flu" infections you get are not influenza. People that have had influenza know what real influenza is. It is the kind of infection that you become very sick with (and sometimes need to be hospitalized). Severely sore joints, coughing/sneezing a lot, massive fatigue (to the point where you don't want to get out of bed to even go to the bathroom) and really high fevers. Most viral infections you get are a usual respiratory virus but not influenza (and therefore, the vaccine won't protect you against that at all). As for getting sick more frequently, this is hard to really explain why. Some are because they are more "socially" active (i mean doing more things in public, being exposed to more people than usual) and this increases the risk you would potentially catch something from someone. The last one I want to address is the one that people tend to get sick within a week after having had the vaccine given. This is NOT the vaccine causing this (yes, it can cause a little bit of low-grade fevers, headaches, etc). But actually getting sick from it is not what the vaccine does. The reason why is because you were probably already infected with a viral infection before you had the vaccine and it is now only becoming symptomatic. Most viral infections take a few days to "incubate". This means that you are infected, can spread it to others but you won't actually "feel" like you are sick. Most viruses have an incubation period of about a week to two weeks (depending upon the virus). Therefore, you probably have been infected up to a week prior to the vaccine being given to you.

Now, the biggest thing that gets on my nerve about the influenza vaccine is that people expect it to work miracles. This is a vaccine, it helps to reduce how sick you would be compared to if you didn't have the vaccine. This will NOT stop you from getting influenza at all. However, if you are unfortunate and do have it, it will make it much less severe than it otherwise would have been. For older people, this vaccine might prevent them from having to be admitted to hospital. They will still feel like crap having influenza, but not having to go to the hospital is a pretty big difference. Also, as I said that these are either trivalent or quadrivalent vaccine, it only covers for 3 or 4 of the most common ones that are floating around. You could catch one of the ones that weren't in the vaccine and in that case, you would still get pretty sick.

Now I read in some of the past posts about inflammation, not coughing and resting as much as possible otherwise you would make it worse. This is actually not true at all. Viruses have a specific progression and a usual duration of illness. We know what is likely to happen as you progress through with influenza. That is the reason why if you go to ED on day one of feeling unwell and are pretty sick, having difficulty breathing, not eating and/or dehydrated, we might err on the side of caution and look at admitting you (as we expect it to get worse). This is very different than someone who comes in after a week of having influenza and says that they are still feeling unwell, they just need a bit more time to get better but are over the worst of the infection. Coughing, sneezing, moving around and drinking lots of fluids are actually good things. Coughing helps to get rid of secretions in your lungs as well as sneezing gets rid of secretions/mucus in your nasal passage. Moving helps as it gets the blood flowing and this assist with the immune system to be able to attack the virus (or move to the lungs better to attack the virus there). Unfortunately, sneezing/coughing is also the way that influenza (and many other viral infections) are transmitted to other people. So, for this reason, it is best to steer clear from other people when you have these symptoms. Keep in mind though that as I mentioned earlier that you probably have already infected your co-workers/family as during the incubation period of 1-2 weeks you have already been spreading the virus around, you just weren't feeling unwell at the time.

Now onto the thing about why we need to keep changing the influenza vaccine. The reason why viruses continue to exist is because they are very good (and quick) at adapting and changing. There are two terms we use to describe this "antigenic drift" and "antigenic shift". Genetic drift is a random thing to occur. It is small changes in the RNA of influenza (its similar to DNA but a different thing) that means that our immune system isn't able to recognize the pattern like usual. This means that it can infect the person and cause serious illness as the immune system has to go through a lengthy process of learning the viruses "signature" (that is what we are aiming to do with the influenza vaccine). However, influenza is unique in that for some reason our immune system forgets about the "signature" relatively quickly. So that is why in a years time, even if you have had influenza, you can still end up getting it again.

What is more concerning is antigenic shift. This usually doesnt happen in humans, it more commonly occurs in other animals that can be infected by different types of influenza. For examle, the swine flu virus that people knew about occured because influenza in pigs was mixed with human influenza. This resulted in a completely different influenza that humans had not seen before (and cause serious lifethreatenting illness that had the potential to kill). Human influenza can infect other animals, but it tends not to make them sick as it doesnt work the same in them. Where the problem is if another animal is infected with a different influenza AND human infleunza at the same time. Imagine putting two similar viruses into a blender to mix it up and produce a new virus. That is what happens in antigenic shift. It is a complete shift in one (or more) areas of the code of a virus and this causes it to be very different from what we have seen before.

The combination of antigenic shift and antigenic drift is what makes developing a single vaccine for influenza so difficult (if not impossible) and this is why we have to develop one each year (and why we look at the flu season from the other side of the world).

Hopefully, this clarified up a little bit abput vaccines and influenza.

Most people do not even know what the flu is. It's a specific set of viral RESPIRATORY illnesses. The term "stomach flu" is largely a misnomer. It is not influenza. It is not going to be affected by your flu shot. While stomach flu can be caused by virus, it's such a vague term that it can be caused by bacteria or even parasites.

As pointed out pnemonia is a different beast, amost certainly bacterial. Different prevention schemes apply.

It's not quite the case that they only look at the other hemisphere's flu outbreaks. While that certainly goes into the equiatoin they do some other prognosticating based on the specific area the vaccines are targetted for.

For most people baterial infections can be safetly treated with antibiotics. Antiviral treatment is a little harder. While there are a few antiviral drugs out there, you pretty much end up either trying to prevent being infected to begin with (flu shot, etc...) or riding it out once you get it. I disagree with the statement that the flu vaccine doesn't prevent anything. That is not true, often it does, but the answer is that when it doesn't, as stated, it makes the illness less severe.

There are a few egg-free flu vaccines approved in the US, but you're likely to have to hunt for them.

I still cry like a baby when I get mine lol

Every time I've got a flu shot I end up getting the flu every time I avoid it I end up not getting sick so yeah I never get a flu shot and to be honest just in the last 7 years I can count all my illness on one hand...one cold. Not bad for 7 years the last major thing I had was pneumonia 8 years ago I just don't get sick often enough to Warrant getting vaccinated so long as I get enough sleep my immune systems normally impenetrable also taking into account that flu shots normally vary by region and as someone who can be in Florida one week and Canada the next them to California the next. The different amounts of terrains and climates I change on a daily basis changes the mutation of strains

we can all give you advice but there is only one person who can truly give you the right answer, you should ask your family doctor who has assess to your medical records.

I tend to get my flu shots regularly every autumn or winter before I go on holiday/vacation, but no matter how careful you are flu is an airborne virus and its almost impossible for you to avoid this fact and getting ill can be a serious problem Currently I have a variant of Influenza type A which I the tredional one but I really don't like it because of the fact I cant shake it off.

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888

im not getting my flu shot for the first time because i dont want too. even though i have diabetes im still not going to get it. but my gosh my parents are on my *** about my flu shot or lack there of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back