Thread: Alcohol.

Default Alcohol.

Well I bought 60 diapers, I'm still left with way over 30, I've got the 60 diapers coming monday (tuesday) and plastic pants. Holy poop in a diaper, wasn't expecting to have so many, but whatever helps my depression.

I've also bought a bottle of jack daniels which I'm going to mix with pepsi, kind of ironic as I used to be known as DrunkBear, DrunkBunny xD.

I should mention that alcohols make my diaper lover side come out, it's hard to explain.

Anyways, I'm kind of new to the alcohol mixing scene, being 19 and in uni, I have to celebrate my success, nothing wrong with being a occasional drunk.

That being said, how much do I actually mix, I'm thinking a cup of pepsi, and like a couple mls of Jack Daniels.

Last time I did that with stones (green ginger wine) I had a vomiting fit, but I think that was due to the strong taste, and being a slim jessica I am.

I must admit, it does help with my depression somewhat, my suicidal thoughts do go away, but I'm not self medicating or anything, just occasional drinking as I'm 19 and am new to alcohol.

Just so you're not confused, the legal drinking age in Australia is 18, so I'm legally allowed to drink xD.

I should add I'm a non-smoker and will never smoke in my life, alcohol on the other hand...

Alcohol has been proven by the World Health Organisation as clearly being beneficial for a whole slew of reasons. BIG asterisk here though- only when consumed in moderation. Getting drunk on the other had has also been proven to be extremely detrimental. I know my cut off, and absolutely detest getting drunk, yet I drink alcohol most every evening because it IS good for me to do so. If anyone doesn't know when to say when though, then it's best to just stay away from it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shybug View Post
    I must admit, it does help with my depression somewhat, my suicidal thoughts do go away, but I'm not self medicating or anything, just occasional drinking as I'm 19 and am new to alcohol.

Just so you're not confused, the legal drinking age in Australia is 18, so I'm legally allowed to drink xD.

I should add I'm a non-smoker and will never smoke in my life, alcohol on the other hand...
    This is the part that concerns me most. Think about what you're saying here. I hate to sound preachy but anytime you're using alcohol as a way to cope with depression or suicidal thoughts, you are simply running away from a serious problem while creating other ones. Alcohol is a temporary escape but the aftereffects like hangovers are worse and last longer than the immediate effects, and can in fact exacerbate feelings of depression and suicide. You can't justify drinking just because you've never been and never will be a smoker. Neither option is healthy and both can have long term consequences.

My concern is you appear to be trying to rationalize drinking moderately to deal with depression. It may sound reasonable to you, but the problem is that when you use alcohol as a crutch to escape the world, you will lose control of being able to keep it in moderation.

I speak from my own experience. When my partner committed suicide, I took the same approach as you and I started drinking 'in moderation.' As time went on, I relied more heavily on it because it took more alcohol to give me a buzz as I became increasingly accustomed to it. Eventually I was drinking a 26 ounce bottle of Southern Comfort every night. I was at constant risk of getting fired from work for going in hungover or wasted. I lost a part of life by drinking it away. It took years to hit the bottom before I finally got proper help to face my losses and move on.

Anytime you plan to have a drink because you think you need one to cope with depression, well.... a drink is the last thing you need.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 02-Oct-2016 at 15:32.

There are times you need a drink (or a 10 mile run - per Scott Tinley, there is very little that can't be fixed by a snappy 10 mile run).

If you think you need 2 drinks, then there's a potential problem.

That said, one shot to a can of Pepsi should work just fine. Mrs. Maxx is a lot of fun on half that.

Yeah, I had an extreme alcohol and drug problem all through college and it ended badly. On the other hand, if you're only drinking an oz. or two for an entire evening, I don't think there's much harm in it. Starrunner makes a good point however that alcohol shouldn't be used to deal with depression, something I did in college. I do hope you can find happiness and find ways to deal with your depression. After graduating from college, I reinvented myself. I changed my entire lifestyle and that changed my life, the way I saw myself and the rest of the world. It took several years but I got there. I hope you do too.

I have to agree with everyone else to not use alcohol as a means to getting over depression. It may work temporarily, but it'll screw you over in the long term. I briefly tried that out when depressed a couple years ago. However, after going to a friends party to get wasted to not feel so damn lonely and depressed and wound up getting alcohol poisoning, and yeah. That'll get you to stop drinking (I sincerely hope). It may have helped with depression while intoxicated, but I always felt just as bad, if not worse, once I sobered up, and that was the end of drinking temporarily and permanently the end of drinking to rid myself of my depression.

Now, I don't think you're going to black out given how much you plan on drinking, though as Starrunner said, it can add up and you could wind up drinking more and more to self-medicate if you're drinking because you're trying to drink away a problem like depression, that's going to wind up being problematic. I can't tell you to stop drinking (and I'd be a hypocrite if I did), but don't drink as a means to deal with depression. There are far more productive and helpful ways to deal with depression.

I have severe depression whether i drink or not so i drink a 6 pack almost daily. I've tried everything possible. Not drinking or doing drug, many many different anti depressants, therapy, spirituality none of it worked for me. As long as its not interfering with other things in your life like work i don't see an issue with getting drunk daily since its your own health but i wouldn't sit here and encourage it either.

I would be more concerned about the Pepsi personally... Especially if it was a diet drink.

2 capfulls into a schooner (or middy size glass not sure what they are called elsewhere) or 3 capfulls into a can that youve just opened and taken a sip from is closeish to what youd get if you got premixed cans.