I need a new mattress... Current one has stains on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm somewhat apprehensive about purchasing a new mattress because my current one has stains on it where I've leaked, yes it's embarrassing and I want to keep it my little secret but because I'm in a shared house I can't leave it outside in plain view for the council (removel people) to take it away because the stains are pretty noticeable. What do you think I should do?

I have a plan but what do you guys and girls think about it first... I'm thinking about dragging it out the house in the middle off the night and dumping it a few streets away out of mind out of sight, sleeping on the sofa to wait for my new mattress to arrive? Sound good or bad?

Why would removal people care for the stains on you mattress? If you are concerned about anyone else, can you not just turn it on the side with no stains?

And it's a good idea to buy a waterproof mattress cover so you don't stain your new mattress.

This is easy! I have been in the exact same situation and here is what you do: go buy a thin mattress liner that fits over the mattress and put it on before you move the mattress out. That way whoever helps you get the mattress out won't see any stains and they won't ask questions. The covers aren't too expensive so you're not out too much considering you'll essentially be throwing away a brand new mattress cover along with the mattress. I suppose you could take the cover off once you get to where you're dumping the mattress though.

Trust me, this works and it will be over before you know it. You're in good hands! Good luck

Keeping it covered in the house and no one will know. Keep using it.

Instead of throwing away a mattress because of a couple of stains why not get a plastic sheet and scrub the bed?

What I do is spray a heavy coat of peroxide on the stained bits and point a fan at it to dry it out quicker. This will take several hours.
Repeat until the stains are gone.
When they're gone spray on some nice smelling Febreze, Lysol, or scrub in a mattress or carpet cleaning solution.

Couldn't you just buy a new mattress, have it delivered, and have the delivery people take the old mattress back with them to dispose of?

Lots of people pee a bed and for a variety of reasons. Lots of people get sick in the middle of the night and vomit all over their bed as well. I wouldn't worry about it. I would do what Geekboy suggested and that is to get an inexpensive mattress cover if you want to toss it.

How about getting some paint and 'spilling' it on the mattress before you take it out?

Unless you need a new mattress from it passing its best performance or you find it uncomfortable then those stains are badges of pride!

Stains on a mattress could be from numerous things such as spills, as I've done multiple times. Drooling, animals, sweating. I think you're thinking too much.

Rent a steam cleaner for carpet and upholstery. Do the whole house, couch, chair cushions so people suspect nothing. also do your mattress.
If the mattress is still ok for sleeping on, Then get a mattress protector. If it's trash, at least it will be stain free trash.

mattress covers are pretty cheap. Some of the waterproof covers look very much like a slightly padded fitted sheet. If you don't need to get rid of it and just want something that looks clean, put a cover like that on it. If you want to throw it away, put an old fitted sheet on it before you throw it away.

its not really news that mattresses get thrown out for stains of one type or another, tossing a mattress like that won't raise an eyebrow

Yes just steam clean it. Then get a water proof cover for it. Also get some chux aka bed pads.

BabyDenise said:
How about getting some paint and 'spilling' it on the mattress before you take it out?
This. For greatest effect, make it reddish-brown paint. Then, get a butcher knife and stab it into the mattress a few times.

They have this foam like cleaner you spray on the carpet if the cat peed on it, it will remove the stain. It would work on your mattress too, I've had to do it. Plus I used to have a cat so that is why I know it works to remove pee. It's inexpensive and just in a can so its easy to get.

Mmmmm... Stains... Mmmmmmmm... Simple mistake.

Is there anything wrong with the mattress besides the stains? If not keep it but put a waterproof mattress protector on it. They're around $10 or so at Walmart

WABX said:
Keeping it covered in the house and no one will know. Keep using it.

I was thinking this too. If the mattress is still otherwise in good condition having a few urine stains on it is hardly reason to get rid of it. A good waterproof mattress cover will solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back