Top Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodnitesco96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Anybody here watch Top Gear? I can't say how bad the new one is cause I've only seen one episode of it and I didn't like it in the slightest. I used to love Top Gear with the old trio, and there were some quite hilarious episodes that I watched, my personal favorite was the Police episode where they had to make their own very under budget police cars and do challenges with them. I'm definitely planning on getting Amazon Prime or Amazon when they come out with the Grand Tour, when I think it is released November 18th. I think they have done a filming in Africa and Southern California for the show, but don't quote me on that.

goodnitesco96 said:
...I think they have done a filming in Africa and Southern California for the show, but don't quote me on that.

You don't tell me what to do. Also, yes. I used to love Top Gear and am looking forward to their new show.

I loved the original Top Gear. I don't watch the new British version, only the American version occasionally.

PaddedPuppy said:
Top Gear on History (USA) Was terrible to watch when it first started because they basically copied the UK one in every way from the format to the jokes. It didn't work as the chemistry just wasn't there. A few seasons in it got a lot better once they learned that and made their own style. Now I sometimes find it more enjoyable to watch than the original. It was sad news when I found out it had been cancelled, especially when the UK one was destroyed too.

...New BBC Top Gear was a (very ginger) mess. Thankfully Chris Evans left when put under pressure of being told it was him or the others to be leaving. Again there is no chemistry there and too much of it has been copied for the new team to build their own style.

This is because the BBC owns and licenses everything about the Top Gear franchise. Any Top Gear show, in any country, has to follow this very specific format. There was an interview with Richard Hammond that I have seen where he explains this exact thing when he was asked his opinion of the Top Gear USA show. It's unfortunate because it really forces the show instead of allowing the commentators to gel and build a fluid chemistry.

Llayden said:
This is because the BBC owns and licenses everything about the Top Gear franchise. Any Top Gear show, in any country, has to follow this very specific format. There was an interview with Richard Hammond that I have seen where he explains this exact thing when he was asked his opinion of the Top Gear USA show. It's unfortunate because it really forces the show instead of allowing the commentators to gel and build a fluid chemistry.

Like any cover or tribute band, you can only try to imitate or reproduce the original, but the newer Top Gear was bad, the only presenter I liked was Matt LeBlanc who was on previous episodes for the old Top Gear.

goodnitesco96 said:
Like any cover or tribute band, you can only try to imitate or reproduce the original, but the newer Top Gear was bad, the only presenter I liked was Matt LeBlanc who was on previous episodes for the old Top Gear.

I dunno, given time it's possible things could've worked. You might not realize this (I don't know how long you've watched the BBC program) but the show you refer to as the original is a remake/reboot. Top Gear with Clarkson, Hammond, and May was really really really rough for the first few seasons. There was another presenter in the first two seasons and May didn't come along until season 3. Clarkson was an original member of the Top Gear show in the '90's with Tiff Needell. Tiff left Top Gear and went over to Fifth Gear and Top Gear died in ratings after Clarkson left, then the show was cancelled in 2001. It was rebooted again in 2002 with Clarkson and Hammond and some other guy I can't remember. The show its self has been a staple of the BBC since 1977. It has been re-cast and copied many many many times.

So that means the Top Gear you are referring with the cast that we all know and love, was its self a tribute band.

i agree with most of what's been said, here.
Clarkson has never been liked by most people, but his personality and presentation matured with his [and Wilman's] Top Gear (and he's become more likeable since he stopped dyeing his hair and eyebrows :biggrin:) and i'd say that it was the 'specials' and 'challenges' which really lifted the show and the presenters; a lot of that has to do with the differences between a studio show and a 'free-rangey' road-trip [of sorts] in how and what can be scripted and shown, or not, with the road-trips allowing an insight into the chemistry between the trio by showing quips and banter which wouldn't normally be shown on the telly. a lot of it comes across as blokey and workmatey (often poking fun at their boss, The Beeb) and, for many people nowadays, it fills the gap which has been left by a lot of changes in society and the workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back