ABU PreSchool Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Adult Baby Universe (ABU) has recently released the new PreSchool Diaper, a "medium-capacity" cloth-backed diaper at substantially cheaper price point than their other products. The diaper has a plastic landing zone rather than being a fully-cloth design, and introduces for the first time in an adult baby diaper product a mixed set of rotating designs within each pack.

I am reviewing the medium size PreSchool as provided in a pack for review in September 2016. It has been stated as of this writing that future runs are intended to differ slightly with the landing zone placed higher on the diaper. The medium size is listed as fitting waists of 28"-36", the large is listed as fitting waists of 36"-46", and the extra-large is listed as fitting waists of 46"-56".

Appearance, Size, and Features

As with other ABU products, the PreSchool comes in transparent 10-packs with a product panel on one side of the bag. The PreSchool's panel displays art elements used across its prints, with what appears to be Seattle's skyline.

277-11-packfront.JPG

277-12-packside.JPG

Front and Back of Packaging, Respectively

The PreSchool prints consist of 4 different landing zone designs each on an all-white backdrop. One is sky-themed, one is night-themed, one is car-themed, and the last has numbers, letters, and shapes. All of the designs are generic, realistic babyish prints. The night-themed print stands out as being a noticeably bolder color scheme than the other prints.

The prints are arranged in cycle in the bag. The idea of cycling through several different prints in a package is novel and innovative for an ABDL diaper. Major brands of baby diapers have been packaged like this since the late 90s, predating the shift to cloth-like covers. Between the existence of multiple prints and the realism of each of them, there's something uniquely authentic about the design of this product that I can't say I've ever felt about other ABDL diapers.

277-1-FrontFolded.JPG

277-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

277-13-PrintComparison.JPG

All Four Different PreSchool Prints

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 9.3 cm (3.7 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.1 cm (1.2 in). It's noticeably thinner than other ABU products and most "premium" diapers, but it's not far off from the thickness of a regular Bambino product.

277-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

The ABU PreSchool uses the conventional double tape design seen on most adult diapers. The tapes have a blue tip without adhesive to pull on and the same wider (4 cm, 1.5 in) tapes used ABU Space/LittlePawz/Simple, which are wider than most diaper tapes.

277-4-tapes.JPG

The Tapes

The inside of the diaper is all white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape. The padding feels packed with a dry, cottony texture, slightly softer than the outer cover. The diaper has standing leak guards. It has an elastic waistband in the back only.

The diaper is notable among ABDL diapers for having a cloth-backed cover. It feels very similar to the touch to the cover on a modern baby diaper – a soft oily paper texture, very different than plastic and much closer to cloth, but still clearly different than actual cloth. The wings are made of only the cloth-like layer and feel less substantial that typical plastic wings; this makes the sides "breathable", and indeed, you can partially see through the wings.

277-5-outside.JPG

277-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 73.3 cm (28.9 in) in length, 67.0 cm (26.4 in) in width at the wings, 27.9 cm (11.0 in) in width at the center, and 20.6 cm (8.1 in) in width between the leak guards.

277-7-length.JPG

277-8-widthwing.JPG

277-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.

After 500 mL of water, I began to notice pooling at my legs after pouring increments. At 700 mL, the front was starting to spread my legs. At 800 mL, I started feeling a "sploosh" when I sat down. At 900 mL, it felt damp while sitting. At 1000 mL, it felt like sitting in a pond. At 1100 mL, water felt like it was at my legs during the entire increment. At 1200 mL, I noticed a wet spot on my chair and stopped the test. By this point, it took effort to put my legs together.

I folded the diaper back up to compare its thickness to a dry diaper. It had expanded to roughly 8.9 cm (3.5 in), about 2.9x its original size. The tapes easily held throughout this test.

277-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 4 hours before beginning to leak at the leg. During my test, I had 3 or so moderate wettings, but did not flood it; it did clearly hold less than typical high-capacity ABDL diapers.

With a 36" waist, I am towards the top of the listed size range for the medium PreSchool. I normally wear size medium in other diaper brands. This diaper seemed to fit my size and frame well, with the thinner profile lending itself to a more snug fit. I also felt like this diaper was less liable to dig into my legs when tight.

This diaper was unusually comfortable and unobtrusive to wear, especially on the breathable sides. It would be far more pleasant to do active and sweaty work in this diaper than a plastic-backed or thicker diaper, though changing more often would also be required.

One common complaint about cloth-backed diapers is the view that they are liable to bleed liquid through the cover. I did not notice this problem in any of my testing even though I was actively on the lookout for it.

The tapes held perfectly in my tests, and given that they appear to be identical to those on the high end ABU products which test to roughly twice the capacity, they are far above what would be needed for the task.

The cloth-like backing muffles the crinkling, but some is still present.

Price and Final Thoughts

I received one pack of these diapers for the purposes of a review from https://www.abuniverse.com. They are available in 10, 40, and 80 packs, and available with added scent for an additional charge. Pricing for PreSchool is $26.99/10, $69.99/40, and $109.99/80. Prices include shipping.

At the case size, this works out to $1.37/diaper. This prices it substantially cheaper versus other current ABDL diapers and a bit under many "premium" non-ABDL diapers, with the tradeoff that it also weighs in at a lower capacity than these options. Capacity for the price is middling in my testing – not up to the high bar that ABU itself sets with the Space/LittlePawz/Simple, but comparable to most ABDL diapers on the market. As of this writing, there is not currently a lower-cost ABDL diaper still being sold, and thus the PreSchool claims this role by default. In a lot of ways, this diaper is set up for a comparison to the old, now unavailable, Snuggies/Tykables Waddler. The capacity is similar and it is being explicitly advertised in the same niche as a lower price, lower capacity "daytime" diaper.

In this role, it's trying to do something different than the typical high-capacity ABDL diaper, and I'm glad to say that I think ABUniverse has created a solid product that shines as one of the most authentic recreations of the modern cloth-backed baby diaper experience. The prints are very believable, the combination of multiple prints is unique and brings a yet unseen aspect of baby diapers to ABDL products, and the underlying diaper is a functional product at a lower price point.

If authenticity in ABDL diapers appeals to you, then you really have to try this diaper! If you're looking for an ABDL diaper at a discount and aren't overly focused on capacity, this diaper nicely fills that niche. If cloth-backed ABDL products appeal to you, then this is a solid option where few currently exist. This diaper won't meet the needs of someone squarely focused on high capacity diapers, but for a wide variety of other appeals, I'd enthusiastically say the PreSchool is worth the try.

• Love
Reactions: MegaLugia
I was waiting for this! After reading this, I'm definitely going to be ordering at least a half case of these as soon as I can find a reliable hiding place for them.

Thanks for your review Fruitkitty!

Thank, Fruitkitty. I was looking forward to a review of these. The looks are quite appealing to me, and I might give them a go at some point. On authenticity, I think that grade has to ride on construction as well as appearance, though, and the "hybrid" aspect of these is really quite inauthentic. Still, I hope these do well and inspire/fund a return to a fully cloth-backed design. As I've indicated elsewhere, I really miss that and am still somewhat puzzled by the discontinuation of the Cloth-backed Cushies. Yeah, I know... :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Thank you very much for this review!!

Reactions: lonewolf19
I would like to add something to this review from my personal experience with these.

Name ABU Preschool's (Medium) SKU PRS-M Bin 1 Batch 7417
Date bought Sep 22 2016 (9:21AM EDT)
Signed by Robby
Box Dimt 12x10x8
Notes This is my first order ever from you guys. Very nervous. But look forward to buying more in future 0//0
Shp mthd Free Shipping (US48)

Received on time. Very good shipping tracking, however on the last 2 days tracking was stalled. This is no matter really, but I personally like having EXACT shipping tracking on my materials bought from an outside source. Package arived in a plain brown box, VERY secure, and it was handed to me in person at my house by the local postal service, who had it passed to them by UPS (Also known as UPS Surepost). The lady who handed to me had no idea to what it was, even from holding it, and "Strom holdings" was written in the corner. Shipping was 10/10, but I did hope to get that faster, but that was my baby side just being impatient!

It felt WAY to large on me, but I knew it was the right size, but this is because I never used AB diapers in my life, so I didnt know quite what to expect. I then proceeded to put it through multiple tests in order to see it's durability and the results are as follows:

NAPTIME TEST: Wearing it to bed proved to be quite comfortable, but I had to loosen the top just a little bit because I like to lay on my side (Not suggested to wear any diaper like this because of leaks) but when laying on my back, I noticed I started to sweat. SO MUCH in fact, that I found it difficult to sleep. It is like an oven, and isn't very breathable. Fantastic for a night diaper in my opinion, despite that the website states it's for "Daytime use". Which led me that I needed to take a bath now, to try to cool off.

BATHTIME TEST: Ahh yes, bathtime. With my watermellon shampoo in hand, I dove into the tests of tests, and slowly filled up the bathtub while still in my diaper. As odd as this sounds, this not only shows weak and strong points, but it tests the tapes, the holding, and the absorption speed. It quickly absorbed, but may be put to caution if you want to wet a lot FAST. If you wet slow, this should not be any problem at all. I actually was able to stand up after, with difficulty, and to my absolute surprise, it was a good 3 or so inches THICKER, much more then any diaper I have ever seen before, and quite a nice surprise for entering the world of AB diapers instead of the cheap adult diapers I ussually get at my local drugstore. Furthermore I expected it to blow out like the other diapers from my tests, and was pleased that it did not, until of course.....I sat down. A major cleanup ensued...:( The tapes seemed to hold the weight quite well. It barely got under the tape, but once it did it became impossible to hold on and kept pealing off. However, a major pass. for this test. Though the tapes could be slightly stronger....

MOTION TEST: I put a new one on, threw on some pants and took off outside. It is immedietly noticable that the top pokes out of almost any pair of pants, so bear this in mind or if your under stealth, wear a tucked in undershirt. I immedietly started sweating within 5 minuites, and chaffing on my leg made it hard to keep straight evrey 10 of 15 minuites. Definantly a good diaper if you are playing on the floor quietly or coloring at the desk. I do NOT suggest this diaper for movement or heavy motion.

IMPORTANT NOTES: During changing, the tape is INCREDIBLY loud, especially at night. If you like to change a little one who has just fallen asleep playing with theyre soft toys, I do not suggest having this diaper on, because you will wake your little sleeper with these. If your half awake, and changing yourself, it to, is quite a startle. The thickness is nice, and the designs are adorable, and I never tried cloth back diapers before this, but I really wish this company had a night diaper with the stars and moons design that they had on these. Wearing them makes me just want to fall asleep.....or jump in a pool worried about becoming a piece of jerky from the heat.

PROS: Cute and playful designs, SUPER thick, holds well, Cloth back so good for cold nights or winters.
CONS: Builds heat fast, loud & not so sticky tapes, slight leg scratchies if used to long or with excessive motion.

Just got a sample pack this week. I will defently ordering me some. I love my super dry kids, but feel really good. I was use to it an older child any way when I was younger.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Hands down my current favorite diaper. Perfect balance of absorbency, discretion and comfort with great designs to boot! I love the cars and trucks pattern. I always save those ones till the end.

Great diapers

I'm ecited. I just ordered my preschool diapers in a package. Tried the sample ones a few weeks ago. Now I'll be set when they get here. A very comfortable diaper to where anytime. Brings back a lot of good memories for me too

May mâke them my full time diaper besides super dry kids

Can't wait to put them in a diaper stacker too

kewl reviews. just thought some of you wold like to know they also supply with plastic backing too (or at least in UK they do) nappies r us supply to UK market. its where i get mine

babybadger

I've tried both, but I personally like the plastic version of Pre-schools better.

You can't bet em

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Beat em

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

I wrote ABU an email back in 2012 about doing a pack of diapers like from the 1980s- 1990's having different prints in one pack how baby diapers especially huggies use to be and then they came out with preschool years later =DDDD.

I've purchased several bags of these and like them a lot. The prints are good and these make me feel like a toddler again. I'll wear them during the day as they're not as thick & bulky as my overnight boosted diapers. They hold up well and are much better than a lot of the lighter OTC diapers in the retail stores. Thanks for the review.

Cute!

Back