Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensory Deprivation Tanks

Default Sensory Deprivation Tanks

I am considering giving one of these places a try. Curious if anyone here has ever been in a sensory deprivation tank? How was your experience? Would you recommend it?

It's kinda expensive at $65 an hour, but wondering if it will help with my stress.

For those that don't know what it is, a sensory deprivation tank is a sound proof, light proof tank that is only about 10" deep with water and a very high concentration of salt to make your body float and feel like you are in zero gravity. the lack of light and noise is supposed to be very calming and has different effects on everyone. Supposed to be spiritual. Some people have claimed it helps with stress, anxiety, depression, creative thinking, ect...

I know a friend that does it. Very good experience for her.

One thing I do have done is Breathwork - great way to work through emotional issues / experience altered states without drugs. Try looking up "holotropic Breathwork" or "integrated Breathwork"

I wonder if meditation is similar in that one's breathing might become slower and slower.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I wonder if meditation is similar in that one's breathing might become slower and slower.
    Maybe, I'm really interested in trying it considering the interesting stories I've heard

I've been wanting to try this. There's a place in Seattle that has these, and when they first opened a couple of years ago, one of the local news stations sent a reporter down to try it out and share about the experience. She said she really enjoyed it and gave it a glowing recommendation. It sounded pretty neat.

And it seems a lot safer than meditating while driving, which I do quite often!

OK, don't slam me for sounding off as an expert on this, but I was WAY DEEP into it 37 years ago. I met the creators of the Samadhi Tanks, Lee & Glenn Perry, up in LA, while my friend was trying it out, in their private residence. He bought one, and we used my van to transport it back to San Diego. We bought the hundreds of pounds of Epsom salts, set it up in his condo, and started the experience...

First, to answer your question, $65/hr? Steep, but welcome to, and God bless America! At least you can try, before you buy. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, one hour will not be enough. My first journey found me trying to "get comfortable" with my arms, floatation, warm/cold, etc.

BEST POSITION is with arms folded across chest, hands on the shoulders. Then you'll forget about "position", and get physically relaxed about "body"...

Next were those pesky drips, coming from the ceiling... Right in the eye, too! Brought a dry washcloth, and kept it dry, also upon my chest/forehead, until needed. Problem solved.

The saltwater was superslimy! Loved it! Like being wrapped (mentally) in my slippery plastic pants. Couldn't help that, and never would have predicted it... Gave me wood...

The temp is initially warm, but then you oscillate between warm -> cool -> warm -> cool, until your body adjusts to the 92 soup, and all of the sudden you have NO feeling of temperature, for the duration.

I was a bit put off by saltwater in my ears. I used ear plugs from then on, problem solved! It got even quieter than quiet!

Your eyes initially keep opening/closing, until your brain accepts that there's no visual input, and the eyes relax.

Your toes bump the base of the tank, and maybe 20-30 minutes later, your head bumps... You're literally drifting in your own headspace...

You would lose track of time, if you weren't paying by the hour. My third trip in, I had it mastered. Knew what to expect, came prepared, let things flow, and finally, OMG, nearly had an out of body experience! More introspection revealed it wasn't an out-of-body experience, but the experience of having all sensory stimuli taken away... I felt like I had only a single train of thought in my head, as if I was sitting on top of my pituitary gland, in the center of my brain. That's the target fro me, to be able to fixate on a single thing, and give it my full brain power.

It's like seeing God, or being able to meditate, without the mantra, etc. If you do it right, you'll get there, eventually, too. Can you hit it in an hour? No. Takes three to four hours, but it will feel like it was only an hour or two. Will you want to do it again? If you get there, it will become a life's obsession. I still want to build one in my garage, and go back. Keeping an old waterbed heater for the day...

Yes, yes, and yes!!!

Think TANK! Think TANK! Think TANK! That's the true name of this experience, not sensory deprivation chamber... It's a THINK TANK, where your brain will be freed up to work on whatever troubles you, without those pesky sirens going off in the distance, or that jet overhead, or that dog barking, or that car muffler, etc....

Think TANK!
    I DID!
    Last edited by Jamieboy; 29-Sep-2016 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamieboy View Post
    OK, don't slam me for sounding off as an expert on this, but I was WAY DEEP into it 37 years ago. I met the creators of the Samadhi Tanks, Lee & Glenn Perry, up in LA, while my friend was trying it out, in their private residence. He bought one, and we used my van to transport it back to San Diego. We bought the hundreds of pounds of Epsom salts, set it up in his condo, and started the experience...

First, to answer your question, $65/hr? Steep, but welcome to, and God bless America! At least you can try, before you buy. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, one hour will not be enough. My first journey found me trying to "get comfortable" with my arms, floatation, warm/cold, etc.

BEST POSITION is with arms folded across chest, hands on the shoulders. Then you'll forget about "position", and get physically relaxed about "body"...

Next were those pesky drips, coming from the ceiling... Right in the eye, too! Brought a dry washcloth, and kept it dry, also upon my chest/forehead, until needed. Problem solved.

The saltwater was superslimy! Loved it! Like being wrapped (mentally) in my slippery plastic pants. Couldn't help that, and never would have predicted it... Gave me wood...

The temp is initially warm, but then you oscillate between warm -> cool -> warm -> cool, until your body adjusts to the 92 soup, and all of the sudden you have NO feeling of temperature, for the duration.

I was a bit put off by saltwater in my ears. I used ear plugs from then on, problem solved! It got even quieter than quiet!

Your eyes initially keep opening/closing, until your brain accepts that there's no visual input, and the eyes relax.

Your toes bump the base of the tank, and maybe 20-30 minutes later, your head bumps... You're literally drifting in your own headspace...

You would lose track of time, if you weren't paying by the hour. My third trip in, I had it mastered. Knew what to expect, came prepared, let things flow, and finally, OMG, nearly had an out of body experience! More introspection revealed it wasn't an out-of-body experience, but the experience of having all sensory stimuli taken away... I felt like I had only a single train of thought in my head, as if I was sitting on top of my pituitary gland, in the center of my brain. That's the target fro me, to be able to fixate on a single thing, and give it my full brain power.

It's like seeing God, or being able to meditate, without the mantra, etc. If you do it right, you'll get there, eventually, too. Can you hit it in an hour? No. Takes three to four hours, but it will feel like it was only an hour or two. Will you want to do it again? If you get there, it will become a life's obsession. I still want to build one in my garage, and go back. Keeping an old waterbed heater for the day...

Yes, yes, and yes!!!

Think TANK! Think TANK! Think TANK! That's the true name of this experience, not sensory deprivation chamber... It's a THINK TANK, where your brain will be freed up to work on whatever troubles you, without those pesky sirens going off in the distance, or that jet overhead, or that dog barking, or that car muffler, etc....

Think TANK!
    I DID!
    I appreciate the heads up, I know they make you wear earplugs and you have to shower before and after, I didn't expect it to be slimy though XD That's interesting

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    I appreciate the heads up, I know they make you wear earplugs and you have to shower before and after, I didn't expect it to be slimy though XD That's interesting
    A couple hundred pounds of Epsom salts, in solution, is what gives the buoyancy, and slime, hence the shower before (so you don't contaminate the G's, and after (to wash off the slime).

I find water relaxing. I've fallen asleep waiting for the starting gun at an open water swim race. Back in the day, I'd lay on the bottom of the pool and see how long it took the guards to notice me. You have to be pretty relaxed to get heartrate and stuff down to the point where you can last more than 2-3 minutes.

On the other hand, the rest of the deprivation would probably make me claustrophobic. Scuba diving 100+ feet in Lake Michigan. Quiet except for the hiss sucking air in through the regulator and the burble burble burble of bubbles going by my ears on exhale. Dark, except for the small cylinder illuminated by my divelight..... creepy. Especially when something big and scaly filled the cylinder of light, then disappeared. Sturgeon maybe? Really big lake trout?

Not something I'd spend $65/hour on.
    Last edited by Maxx; 30-Sep-2016 at 21:07.

Just did 2 hours for $64. Found it very relaxing and centering. Will do it again!