Thread: Your Experience With Play Therapy?

Default Your Experience With Play Therapy?

I was looking up therapists in my area, and noticed one used Play Therapy as a form of therapy, not only for kids, but adults as well. I just wanted to know if anyone else has used Play Therapy/ Sand Therapy before and how was the experience like. I also kinda need advice on how to tell my parents that I think seeing a therapist will benefit me. I can drive myself, and probably pay for it, but they pay the health insurance. Thanks so much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbow View Post
    I was looking up therapists in my area, and noticed one used Play Therapy as a form of therapy, not only for kids, but adults as well. I just wanted to know if anyone else has used Play Therapy/ Sand Therapy before and how was the experience like. I also kinda need advice on how to tell my parents that I think seeing a therapist will benefit me. I can drive myself, and probably pay for it, but they pay the health insurance. Thanks so much in advance.
    Maybe its just me and my non-emotional personality, but I don't think you really need to see a therapist to get the "play therapy" If you can swing it just go out and get some Lego bricks or adult coloring books and enjoy yourself. I was depressed for several years but never did even make an attempt to go see a therapist for help mainly because I don't trust them. I recently started reliving childhood moments that I miss by buying some Lego Classic brick sets, adult coloring books, and started watching more Disney movies and other kid-friendly films. Its helped me and it cost a fraction of what a therapist would cost.

Anyway I hope this helps but if not best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbow View Post
    If you're paying for it, even though it's on your parents' insurance, they wouldn't be paying any more than their monthly rate.

As for play therapy, I've heard of it and I've observed it when I was taking a child psychology class at a big state facility. I've heard of it used on adults as well, but not on regressive people like ourselves. I think it's used for a different purpose such as resolving conflicts from childhood are experiencing the nurture one should have received as a child. Anyway, you certainly can pursue it but I think you should be up front with your therapist that you would be identified as an infantalist. I was with my therapist, a psychiatrist.

Well, I'm not really considering going to therapy for my ABDL side of things and I won't be going just for Play Therapy. Mainly, I'd be going to therapy to solve other problems which include conflicts during childhood and some weird eating disorder. I'm okay with talking to other people about things, but I don't know if I even considered bringing up Infantilism. I don't know. I guess it's a possibility if I like and trust the therapist. Thanks for the advice Pawlf and dogboy! 😊

Hi Moonbow. One quick note about your worries. While I don't know the details of your insurance setup with your family, doctor patient confidentiality is between the individual seeing the doctor and that doctor only. Regardless of who pays the bills or whose name is on the insurance plan, the doctor isn't allowed to tell other people about what you do or talk about in any sessions with them (noting the usual exception for serious threats of harm of course). At most, if the mail all comes to your parents' home and gets sorted by them before you get a chance to see it, they'd see a bill for a particular doctor, so they could know you were seeing that person, but not why.

I think it's a great idea. I went for drama therapy which really helped. The great thing with more creative forms of therapy is that you can deal with difficulties/traumas etc through metaphor, rather than directly. This can give you a real sense of freedom and exploration, in a safe, less traumatic environment. Go for it I say!