Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a common problem with cleaning restrooms?

Default Is this a common problem with cleaning restrooms?

I work as a janitor so one of my jobs is cleaning the restrooms on one of the floors. Over the years I have worked as one, a customer sometimes uses it after I clean it and the my boss would check it and think I didn't clean it or do a good job. One time someone came in and took all the toilet paper rolls so the next day my boss was telling me how I needed to leave some extra rolls in there on the window sill.

Today I cleaned them and one of my co workers checks it and accuses me of not cleaning them. So after I got done with the daycare, I go and check them and sure enough someone had used both restrooms because there was paper towels in the trash can, one of the toilet seats was down with a blob of wet toilet paper in it. In the mens someone had left the toilet seat up but put a piece of toilet paper in the toilet and left their soda can on the counter top and it had a drip on the counter top from it. The can was even full and there was paper towels in the trash can.

Has anyone ever had this problem before with cleaning restrooms and you getting the blame?

I wasn't a janitor per-say, but I used to work at an arcade where one of my duties was cleaning restrooms. And I'd always get extremely upset when someone would do this kind of stuff after I had already cleaned for the night. It didn't happen too often because I would purposely wait until EVERYONE left the place before cleaning. Occasionally though there's some people who refuse to leave even after closing time so I have to clean the bathrooms. And almost every single time they'd go in and use it soon after.

I've never been caught, but I always secretly give people who do this kind of stuff the stink eye.
    Staying well past closing and then dirtying things I already cleaned. Come on man.

One time, apparently someone's meal wasn't sitting too well after hours. They splattered a huge tsunami of runs all over the toilet seat and floor of a stall.
    I know sometimes that stuff happens but COME ON MAN HAVE SOME DECENCY AND AT LEAST TRY TO CLEAN IT UP. The guy comes up to me and says the toilets are filthy. I know what you did you're the only one here and I already cleaned the bathrooms rude rude rude he wasn't even an old man who couldn't bend down to clean, it was this young guy probably in his mid 20s early 30s
    I'm ranting now

- - - Updated - - -

I always cleaned up after seeing anyone use the bathroom at the end of the day so as a result I've never gotten blamed for not cleaning.
    Good.
    I can still imagine your frustration for getting the blame though.

I've been working as a janitor for about three years and this is a common problem between custodians and their managers. My best advice would be to take a picture once your finished cleaning and send it to your supervisor, that way there is no question that you did the work. Also if there is any detail work(polishing, extra scrubbing) that can be done that's noticeable I'd add that to your routine so that your work is more noticeable. Just my two cents

I wish managers and co workers would give the benefit of the doubt though like tell the employee instead that someone used the restroom again so clean it up.

Also to everyone on this forum, when you use the restrooms, please try and not dirty them if they have obviously just been cleaned. Us employees tend to get the blame and assume we didn't do a good job because you left water on the counter or splattered water on the mirror or left pee on toilet seats or left some toilet paper in the bowl, etc.

I just can't understand how people can be that messy in a bathroom. I truly don't get it. The worst bathrooms ever saw, and had to clean, were my own in the first few days of basic training. In the first few days it's just GO GO GO GO GO!!!! The mess that creates in a shared bathroom with 59 other guys is jaw dropping.

I don't specifically remember how bad my own flights bathroom was, but I remember the extreme lengths you go through cleaning that place and the even more extreme measures you take when using the toilets, shower, or sinks to make it look like no one ever used it.

Just before I left basic training (after I graduated) I was tasked with pulling guard duty in a "rainbow flights" barrack (guys that just got off the bus and haven't even had uniform issue yet, they're all still wearing civvies). My duty rotation came up around 0100 and I started walking the bays and eventually, the bathroom. Oh dear mother of god. Hahaha! I was absolutely appalled add and dumbfounded. Toothpaste in places that would boggle your mind, shaving cream everywhere, water covering every surface imaginable, they had used ALL the stalls and they were nasty. And that happened in a space of about fifteen minutes. From inspection ready to total destruction in fifteen minutes. I'm sure they learned though.

I don't think some people care because 1) They truly don't care 2) They think just because it's our job to clean them, they don't have to worry about being clean and 3) They don't realize the custodian will get in trouble for it and can possibly terminate their employment

I am thinking of putting up signs in the restroom saying

"Dear Customers,

If this restroom has been cleaned, please be courteous to your custodian by help keeping this place clean. Sometimes my manager or co worker likes to come in here and inspect these and if they see anything wrong with these restrooms, they then think I didn't do a good job cleaning them and I get talked to about it so to help me keep this job, please clean up your mess

Sincerely

(me name) the custodian"

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I am thinking of putting up signs in the restroom saying

"Dear Customers,

If this restroom has been cleaned, please be courteous to your custodian by help keeping this place clean. Sometimes my manager or co worker likes to come in here and inspect these and if they see anything wrong with these restrooms, they then think I didn't do a good job cleaning them and I get talked to about it so to help me keep this job, please clean up your mess

Sincerely

(me name) the custodian"
    Nooo that's a terrible idea. If your boss and co-workers are as stringent as you describe, this will only get you in even more trouble for leaving these kinds of passive aggressive notes towards the patrons and employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepies View Post
    Nooo that's a terrible idea. If your boss and co-workers are as stringent as you describe, this will only get you in even more trouble for leaving these kinds of passive aggressive notes towards the patrons and employees.
    Why?

I don't see it as being passive aggressive if I don't know who is doing it. I can't stand there all the time and guard them just to tell them or otherwise I wouldn't get my other work done.

I suppose it comes with the line of work, but I'd probably get mad anyway. Reminds me of when one of my elementary school friends and one of his other friends decided to have a literal "pissing match" in the boys' bathroom. The whole place was dripping with urine. Justice was done when they were ratted out, and they both got hauled out of class and paddled. No doing that with adults though.

Well, not without consent, anyway.

As for a note, I think it would be better kept short and sweet:

"Please be courteous to your fellow employees--including your janitor!--by helping to keep this restroom clean. Thank you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I suppose it comes with the line of work, but I'd probably get mad anyway. Reminds me of when one of my elementary school friends and one of his other friends decided to have a literal "pissing match" in the boys' bathroom. The whole place was dripping with urine. Justice was done when they were ratted out, and they both got hauled out of class and paddled. No doing that with adults though.

Well, not without consent, anyway.

As for a note, I think it would be better kept short and sweet:

"Please be courteous to your fellow employees--including your janitor!--by helping to keep this restroom clean. Thank you!"
    Hopefully the janitor didn't get in trouble for it. Oh wait, they clean them at night after school is out so no one ever uses the restrooms. That was how it was in my elementary school. They came in the evening and cleaned and one of them even found my teacher's hamster and put it back in its cage when I was eight. I am sure the restrooms were inspected long before kids got to school so if they found piss all over, they would know it was done during the day before the shift started.