Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Save the Day' Campaign

Default 'Save the Day' Campaign

Here's a link to the video for the 'Save the Day' campaign, a public service announcement put together by Joss Whedon to encourage people to get out and vote in the US election.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/21...e-save-the-day

It's hilarious. It has a lot of the 'A-list' of actors from The Avengers and other blockbusters, and targets people who aren't going to vote out of apathy or cynicism. The video doesn't mention Trump or Clinton by name, but it's very clear that they are encouraging people to vote for a particular candidate or rather, not vote for a particular candidate. Now get out and vote, because if you do, Mark Ruffalo will have to get naked!

Mark Ruffalo gets Naked every time he has a shower... just thought you should all know lol

Well, at least I have something in common with Mark Ruffalo!

I always get out and vote and I try not to waist my vote. I also try to vote for the candidate I think is the most qualified to lead our nation in a very complicated world and economy. I also vote for the candidate that I think best represents my own personal interests and sensibilities as well as my moral and ethical center.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by LittleManAlex View Post
    Mark Ruffalo gets Naked every time he has a shower... just thought you should all know lol
    So says you, what authority on that subject entitles you to make such a claim? Agh, for the good old days here, where we would collectively demand "Pics, or it didn't happen" upon hearing such a redicolus assertion.

Off topic: The concept of getting apathetic electorate to actually exercise their right to vote has great validity. What has been presented as above described, is no more than one preson's advert. To lay claim it in any way to encourage people to vote, as an aim.....well to be charitable.... is highly misleading. If anything, it would drive peope away in droves.

PS: Rumours abound of a democratic censor on here, I'd know, I started it.
    PPS: So thats all folks, there's feck all else bothering the braincell, just as well really, I hate cyclical redundancy errors.

I've always been one to emphasize the importance of voting, and considering what's on the line, it's incredibly important. It's pretty damn clear who they're pushing for and even though I strongly dislike Clinton, she has to win. Trump is an incompetent racist fascist who is a danger not only to America, but to the entire world with his access to nuclear weapons, short temper, and the fact that he vows to rip up the Paris Climate Agreement will doom us all.

But even outside the Presidential Election, voting is incredibly important. Voting for your congressperson and senator is extremely important (I know it's hard to get excited this year when so few of the people running for Congress are good) and this vote message needs to extend to the Midterm Elections as well, which has abysmal turnout. Hell, even the ballot initiatives are extremely important and that's where the real change can happen this year, with getting money out of politics (Prop 59) in California, legalizing marijuana (Prop 64) also in California, Single Payer Healthcare (Amendment 69) in Colorado, and Ranked Choice Voting (Question 5) in Maine. All of these are incredibly important measures that need to pass and people need to get more involved as there are far more important ballot initiatives than you realize, so please vote. And not just in the 2016 Election. Plus, then we get to see Mark Ruffalo naked. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Here's a link to the video for the 'Save the Day' campaign, a public service announcement put together by Joss Whedon to encourage people to get out and vote in the US election.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/21...e-save-the-day

It's hilarious. It has a lot of the 'A-list' of actors from The Avengers and other blockbusters, and targets people who aren't going to vote out of apathy or cynicism. The video doesn't mention Trump or Clinton by name, but it's very clear that they are encouraging people to vote for a particular candidate or rather, not vote for a particular candidate. Now get out and vote, because if you do, Mark Ruffalo will have to get naked!
    Absolutely you want an important decision made by people who would be influenced by a bunch of Hollywood airheads. Stay home, Nimrods, you might miss something important on Dr. Oz or Ellen.

P.S. Yes, Starrunner, its a well done ad. As you would expect from Mr. Whedon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LittleManAlex View Post
    And you would know this how, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I also try to vote for the candidate I think is the most qualified to lead our nation in a very complicated world and economy. I also vote for the candidate that I think best represents my own personal interests and sensibilities as well as my moral and ethical center.
    That person isn't running, so I'll have to vote for someone who hasn't already sold me down the river and lied about it a hundred times in the process.

So would that be Gary Johnson? Let's face it, all four of the candidates are duds. I think the candidates says more about who we are as a people than all the idiosyncrasies they stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    So would that be Gary Johnson?
    God, no. The man has been smoking too much for too long. Watch any of his speeches or interviews. I'm not exactly sure what libertarian is SUPPOSED to stand for, but I'm pretty sure he's a one issue guy personally.

Edit: It's always possible to write someone in, as I did in 2004 when faced with a choice between Barack Obama and Alan Keyes for Senator... Michael Keller Ditka. I won't be doing a write-in this time. Stopping Hillary is far too important.

Let's face it, all four of the candidates are duds. I think the candidates says more about who we are as a people than all the idiosyncrasies they stand for.
    I won't go that far..... We ARE pretty far down the road to bread and circuses, but the basic problem is the insider game that's being played in Washington, and on a smaller scale in places like Illinois and Chicago. Yes, we've let them get away with it. That's on us.

Still, a few recent developments give reason for hope. Trump is one of them. He may well be a miserable human being, but at least he's outside the cabal. Restoring checks and balances is job one. In Illinois, we elected an outsider governor. State government is still at a standstill as he battles the corrupt perennial incumbents, but at least he's trying. Even Rahm Emmanuel, with despite his Washington pedigree and North Shore Liberal Jewishness is making an effort to change "the way things are" in Chicago. I would like to believe its mostly sincere, as opposed to cynical politics as usual.
    Last edited by Maxx; 23-Sep-2016 at 18:44.

The problem I have with Trump is that I think he's the classic example of the emperor's new clothes. He's said nothing to make me believe he's intelligent enough to represent the greatest nation in the world. I don't mean to belittle other nations with that statement. I simply suggest that economically and militarily what the U. S. does effects much of the world. I've read that he's either filed for bankruptcy four or six times. Either way, he proves to me that he's a failed businessman.

He certainly has no moral center as he's misused money from his so called charitable organization, paying off his legal fees and buying a six foot portrait of himself? That alone sends up all kinds of red flags, especially psychologically. And then there's Trump University and the list goes on.

Yes Hillary has transparency problems, concerning her servers, but not only has Colon Powell used private servers, but so have many members of congress. Hillary has a mountain of experience in the political arena and Trump has none. Hillary may be slippery but Trump is vile, especially considering his pandering to white supremacists and racists. Compare that to Hillary who spent decades helping poor and impoverished children. Compare that to the six foot portrait. I think all of that is important.

I don't mean to belittle other people's feelings because we often support candidates like we support our favorite teams. I'm a Yankees fan and lord knows a lot of people hate the Yankees. Still, I stay a loyal fan. Sometimes we vote for candidates with the same fervor when we should break free and say yeah, it's time the Cubs win the World Series. Well, there's a horrible metaphor for you so I apologize in advance.

I've never wanted to vote less than I do this year, even though I'll surely do it anyway. It's like--how do you want to die? Will it be the noose, or the firing squad? What would you like for your last meal? Week-old road-killed possum, or a fresh coil of dog poop? (And if they both sound horrible, we'll choose for you--and force-feed you.)

I'll be voting for Hillary, but only because her broken moral compass seems to point in the same off-north direction most of the time. Trump's spins like a roulette wheel.

But I hate these political dynasties with a passion. The only thing worse in that regard would have been having Jeb Bush make it this far, but I'd have him any day over The Donald.