Cloth Diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxiPad89

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I need some help with cloth diapers, I did a little bit of research through some threads but I definitely need some help getting to a starting point.

I have a 37 inch waist. As such, I'm pretty much smack in between a medium and a large for ABU, Tykables and Bambino. Medium I can't get the tapes on and secure, large, it's so big that the leg gathers just don't get tight and I'm prone to leaks regardless of how tight I make my diaper. It's frustrating and borderline infuriating. I've tried the Tykables overnights, ABU Space and SDK, Bambino Classico and DC Amor (well...just my girlfriend's medium, not the large).

So last night my girlfriend suggested that I look into a cloth diaper. She's not too keen on the idea of me washing and reusing the same diapers over and over, but she wants me to have something I'm happy with, since I'll be out of Tena Slip Maxis at some point and I'm not overly thrilled with the Dry 24/7 since I feel as though the tapes slide and the diaper becomes loose on me.

For cloth diapers, I see that there's the AIO style that has the velcro tabs that you fasten on, so it's somewhat similar to a disposable, and I also see there's the more classic cloth diapers that you pin on. However, if we have to fold them up there's no way we'll ever get it right...so what's a good pin on cloth diaper that isn't complicated to fold. Is prefold the answer? Do you just pin and wear with those?

Also, where is a good place to buy pin on adult diapers? And the AIO as well? I've seen Dependeco and some places on Etsy...but I don't understand this cloth diaper world at all.

Any help?

MaxiPad89 said:
I don't understand this cloth diaper world at all.

Yo!

It's a jungle, so don't feel bad.

If you haven't already, you might cruise down the All About Cloth Diapers article. It doesn't deep-dive into any particular kind, but it's full of good advice nonetheless. I'll let somebody else talk about AIOs, as I don't have any of those and would prefer to speak from experience. The Dependeco diapers are quite popular here, though, so I'm sure that one or two Dependeco disciples will chime in.

I mostly use prefolds, in large part because they're what I was diapered in as a baby, and what I grew up around. Their name is sort of a misnomer in that it's often taken to mean that you don't have to fold them. You usually do fold them, but it's often simpler than with a flat. The so-called "angel wing fold" is probably the most popular way to fold a prefold, and is usually what I do. (I like to put any excess length in the back, though.)

The prefold lovers among us are blessed with many excellent adult-sized prefolds. My own favorites are the Changing Times prefolds, followed shortly thereafter by the Baby Pants prefolds in twill or gauze. I don't like Birdseye. The neat thing about the Changing Times ones is that they're made by the same overseas company that makes most of the baby ones sold in the US, and using the same construction techniques, too.

Prefolds are bulky diapers, though, particularly through the crotch. Combined with pull-on vinyl pants (I get those from Changing Times, too), they're supreme in terms of overnight protection, however they're not the most discreet thing for out-and-about wear. At least a little waddle is guaranteed.

Actually, that's slightly a lie; the Angel Fluff Diaper Co makes gauze prefolds that are so thin and stretchy, they're basically like pin-on tighty-whities. And they're horrendously overpriced for what they are, IMO. But, to each his own! (I have some, and they're pretty much the most neglected diapers in my stash because they just don't feel like diapers to me.) AFDC also makes flannel prefolds. Flannel isn't nearly as absorbent by itself, and so is usually augmented with other fabrics--terry, for instance--in the center panel. There's a reason you don't see flannel being used for baby prefolds. If you're after authenticity with respect to baby diapers, steer clear of flannel.

I'll add that I have a 38" waist, very similar to yours, and find that a Changing Times medium is a great fit. In Baby Pants, I wear a Large.

For pins, I just use actual baby diaper pins. The Dritz brand, sold by Changing Times and available in most fabric stores, works very well. If you decide you want the jumbo adult-sized diaper pins, I recently got a pair of the ducky diaper pins from Baby Pants and they're pretty good--not as sharp as the baby kind, but quite usable. Another type of fastener that I like is the Boingo. Avoid Snappis, as they were too small even before the toddler size was discontinued. Some people wear them one-per-side, but I see little point in doing that when a Boingo is actually designed to be worn that way. (While we're on the subject of these alternative fasteners, I'll mention that they tend not to work well with flannel diapers, which is yet another reason to avoid flannel.)

Other prefolds I own:

• Rearz (Great! Same overseas manufacturer, construction, and sizing as Changing Times, but with white stitching instead of baby blue. That's the only difference. If you're a Canuck, go here instead of Changing Times. If you're a Yank, go with Changing Times.)
  • Babykins (Flannel. BARF. But the prints are cute!)
  • AdultClothDiaper.com / All Together Diaper Co. (Gauze; light and comfy; a bit long and narrow for my body shape; stitched all the way around, so they get a minor demerit for construction authenticity.)
Hope that helps!!

EDIT: Oh! And Tetra reminded me of contours. I have a few of the Changing Times contours, and they're quite good--a much trimmer fit if you're looking for an out-and-about option. Same great twill fabric as the prefolds, but hourglass-shaped for less bulk in the crotch. They come with a doubler, too, and I've found that the absorbency (with the doubler) is not far off from a prefold. I can't say anything about the Angel Fluff contours that Tetra mentions, though.

EDIT #2: In fairness to Angel Fluff and All Together, a neat thing about both of those companies is that they'll do custom sizing! So if you're ok with the materials and construction offered, you can have a diaper made to your exact size. That's pretty neat. Somewhere on my to-do list is having some custom-sized prefolds made by All Together. But IMO that's really the only advantage the domestic diapers have versus the overseas diapers: Custom sizing. After that, thought, you're mainly paying the "made here" premium, which is substantial. And on top of that, the domestic companies have to pay a lot more to get their fabrics, which are almost all made overseas. That's why stuff like flannel is so popular with the domestic diaper makers: It's the cheapest stuff! In prefolds, at least, I've tried just about everything I can get my hands on, and that's my verdict. My four-year-old Changing Times prefolds are in tip-top shape.

Last edited:
I swear by Angelfluff U 3 contours for day and super heavy wright night diapers for overnight, yes they are one of the higher priced vompanies but the sales and service before during and after is priceless , each diaper is also custom made to your exact specification no generic S,M, LG FITS MOST generic they fit like a second skin, I have been using the same Angelfluff diapers and pants for going on 9 years with none sent to shine shoes or wash the car nor have any of my Plastic pants needed to retire or e thrown away, you absolutely get what you pay for , protection you can count on and truly protects even in the most adverse of conditions. Cheaper diapers are just that cheap.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

MaxiPad89 said:
So I need some help with cloth diapers, I did a little bit of research through some threads but I definitely need some help getting to a starting point.

I have a 37 inch waist. As such, I'm pretty much smack in between a medium and a large for ABU, Tykables and Bambino. Medium I can't get the tapes on and secure, large, it's so big that the leg gathers just don't get tight and I'm prone to leaks regardless of how tight I make my diaper. It's frustrating and borderline infuriating. I've tried the Tykables overnights, ABU Space and SDK, Bambino Classico and DC Amor (well...just my girlfriend's medium, not the large).

So last night my girlfriend suggested that I look into a cloth diaper. She's not too keen on the idea of me washing and reusing the same diapers over and over, but she wants me to have something I'm happy with, since I'll be out of Tena Slip Maxis at some point and I'm not overly thrilled with the Dry 24/7 since I feel as though the tapes slide and the diaper becomes loose on me.

For cloth diapers, I see that there's the AIO style that has the velcro tabs that you fasten on, so it's somewhat similar to a disposable, and I also see there's the more classic cloth diapers that you pin on. However, if we have to fold them up there's no way we'll ever get it right...so what's a good pin on cloth diaper that isn't complicated to fold. Is prefold the answer? Do you just pin and wear with those?

Also, where is a good place to buy pin on adult diapers? And the AIO as well? I've seen Dependeco and some places on Etsy...but I don't understand this cloth diaper world at all.

Any help?
Adult Cloth Diaper co!many has contour diapers that I wear, no folding needed, and you can use an insert for night time use

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I have to agree with most of what Cottontail said. I try to wear cloth diapers at night with plastic pants because they are superior over disposables for absorbency. For a few years I also wore cloth during the day but they are bulky, more than the thickest disposable. The hassle is, of course, washing them and, if you mess in them, its more of a hassle. You need to wash them at least every other day or major stink will set in.

I disagree with Cottontail on flannel. I have a bunch of Babykins flannel prefolds (the night version) and they are very absorbent and comfortable, again, especially at night. When wet though, they aren't as comfortable as the gauze diapers. The best part about cloth is you can customize the size, thickness and fit, and then wrap them in a babyish waterproof cover. The first time I put on a Dependeco PUL cover with my Changing Times cloth diapers, I couldn't stop touching them and looking in the mirror. The fit and look was amazing. But, I don't wear PUL covers at night because they tend to weep a little wetness into my sheets.

I also agree with Cottontail. I wear night weight gauze pre-folds. I have a 32" waist and I usually wear size small. That way, I only have to pin them corner to opposite corner without having to use the angel fold. I do have some medium sized that I'll fold with the angel wing fold but I haven't worn them in a long time. I wear over my diaper, the Leakmaster high back plastic pants as they are soft and cover the entire diaper which keeps them from leaking when I'm asleep. Though The Altogether Diaper Co. sells the diapers and plastic pants I wear, I buy them on Amazon.

Plastic pants need special care. I don't wash them with soap as oils or any petroleum product will make them hard and they'll crack and leak. I rinse them in the shower and hang them up to dry on a plastic hanger.

I've got precisely the same problem with poorly-fitting disposables as the O.P. and am currently awaiting some cloth pocket diapers that I've purchased to try for fit. It really and truly is a jungle out there when it comes to getting one's first cloth nappies.

Everything to be said, has been said. I'll even say that I can fit the Snappi fasteners on my diapers that run larger without having one on each side. Boingo fasteners work great as well.

Keep in mind though, plastic pants acts as a shell, on disposable diapers. They also have a potential to leak. You'll need a lot of layers to keep up with the ABDL diapers of today though. You can do this by adding toddler prefolds and putting them in the middle and place them strategically throughout.

I will warn you about AIO diapers. They are not geared to function very well. They seem to only serve as a novelty item that gives a bit of bulk and may look cute. They hold particularly less than a Depend diaper.

AIO'S also self destruct because of the high heat needed to dry the cloth it rapidly destroys the outer waterproof cover , requiring you to but Plastic pants to wear over the AIO, save time save money and buy separates, if the diaper fails you buy another and keep wearing the pant and vice versa.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back