Who can educate sighted but curious me on braille?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I've been watching the Paralympics, and the medals have 2 new innovations this year, brail, to let blind athletes know what the medal is for, and metal beads inside to give gold, silver, and bronze a different pitch. It got me curious about brail.

Yay! Finally our Olympics (I'm not able-bodied.) get almost equal coverage!

I agree with you there's people out there that don't understand people with special needs. Being in the Special Olympics was the best thing i ever have done.

I have a braille dymo labelmaker. I've used it to label the office nameplate for my legally blind employee and to make a "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE TOO DAMN CLOSE" bumper sticker.

Last edited:
I don't read Braille like...ever...But I know it. I lost my sight when I was eight or so, so went from print to that. Anything specific you wanted to know? ^^

SnowballFox said:
I don't read Braille like...ever...But I know it. I lost my sight when I was eight or so, so went from print to that. Anything specific you wanted to know? ^^

As much as you feel okay telling me. I hear it's good also for dyslexic people, because they don't feel the letters backwards. I heard that it's not, "one letter, one dot or set of dots." Have you been listening to any of the Paralympics? Brad Snyder is amazing!

SpAzpieSweeTot said:

As much as you feel okay telling me. I hear it's good also for dyslexic people, because they don't feel the letters backwards. I heard that it's not, "one letter, one dot or set of dots." Have you been listening to any of the Paralympics? Brad Snyder is amazing!

I have no interest in sports or the like, so can't say that I have :)
I don't know if it's good for dyslexic people, never heard that before, but I guess it does make some sort of sense. I'm not sure what you meant with it not being one letter/dot/set of dots though.
Basically each character is one Braille cell, concisting of 2X3 dots

1 4
2 5
3 6

That gives you a total of 64 combinations. More recently though, dot 7 and 8 were added to bring that up to 256.

1 4
2 5
3 6
7 8

The first ten letters of the alphabet are made up of dot1245:
A: 1
B: 12
C: 14
D: 145
E: 15
F: 124
G: 1245
H: 125
I: 24
J: 245

The following ten are the same, but with dot3 added, so M is 134, P is 1234 and so on. The remaining letters (except W) will be the first ten Again, but with both dot 3 and 6, so V is 1236, Y is 13456, Z is 1356. W is a J with dot 6, so 2456.
Capital letters (now adays) have dot 7 added to them, where as the numbers will be the first ten letters +8.
Then there is a ton of contractions to make it faster to read. I'm not too Sharp when it comes to that though, especially not in English. Each language has their own set of contractions, so that's lovely. One example in English I remember though is the character 16, which on its own Means child, but if it is part of a Word, it represents the letters CH. (I just had a look at my list of English contractions to confirm. Apparently the Word "character" is shortened to first dot5, and then the CH contraction. Fancy, eh?)

I can recommend having a look at Wikipedia's page about it, might explain it better XD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Braille
Either way, I hope that answered some of your questions ^^ If not, just ask Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back