For stress or urge incontinence, has your wetting worsened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaifester

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I want to canvas some opinions.
For those of you who have incontinence (not total), has your wetting worsened i.e. use more diapers now that you enjoy wearing them?
In other words, are you more likely to use your diaper than try to make it to the toilet?

Just curious

It depends. At times I am careful and if I go regularly to the loo things get much better and I even wonder at times if wearing diapers is not something that just makes me feel more confident (and because I like wearing them) but that is not absolutely needed.
But on the other hand that's true that wearing them makes it much more comfortable and there are (probably too many!) times I don't care about going to the toilet and just let it go in my diaper. When I am more lazy like that I tend not to care at all and just drain without caring at all (consciously or unconsciously). Which proves that I am more likely to use it.

I only use occasionally and have very mild stress IC. Not enough to be considered IC but enough to have an accident if I'm not careful.

And I see no difference at all. Can still easily make it to the toilet if I need to, but if I'm wearing, it's much more convenient.

scaifester said:
I want to canvas some opinions.
For those of you who have incontinence (not total), has your wetting worsened i.e. use more diapers now that you enjoy wearing them?
In other words, are you more likely to use your diaper than try to make it to the toilet?

Just curious

Yes.
I'm incontinent and tend just to use my diaper rather than stress about making it to the bathroom.

I gave up the fight and just use my nappy now and wear them 24/7. My incontinence was slowly getting worse in any case. I am now unashamedly DL and bladder incontinent and couldn't be happpier

I wear diapers all the time, (often I mean) and my IC hasn't got worst because of it. Diapers have only improved my life quality, I can enjoy trips, concerts, my job, movies, etc without stressing about looking for a toilet. Every day I feel more comfortable and proud of who I am.

I have recently started wearing diapers 24/7 for just over 2 weeks and find that although I can control the flow, but have a diminishing warning reflex. It is much easier to wet my diaper anywhere which now makes it more and more important that I wear something to control wetting my clothes

I have urge incontinence and have very little time between the onset of an "urge" and the beginning of involuntary urination. Nevertheless, if a toilet is nearby, I will use the toilet instead of my diaper. But if there is no nearby, handy toilet or I have something more interesting to do, I wet in my diaper. On a typical day, I would guess that I use the toilet maybe once or twice and use my diaper the rest of the time.

Same as me, I try to use a toilet but most of the time I use my diapers. I use Sam's Club diapers as they are the cheapest I can find that also work pretty good.

yes, my incontinence has gotten worse over the years, not sure whether it's because I wear and use diapers and have accepted my situation e.g. diapers, but I have come to realize, that I'm going in my diaper more often than in the toilet.
AS other said, If I'm in the middle of something and get the urge, I just use my diaper and continue with what I'm doing. If I'm close to a toilet, I try and make it to the toilet.

Yes and I have urge incontinence and because of it I have to wear diapers virtually all of the time it all started in 1993 When I suffered from epilepsy that thankfully I have now grown out of although it left me with neurological damage to the muscles controlling my bladder.

Although it worsened after I turned 30 years old/young, add to that I have suffered from severe autism for my whole life and have ptsd following years of bullying as in being the victim and you have one self confessed mess of a 35-36 year old male, Thankfully I am going into care next year and will be provided with a place to call my own and a trained carer and things are finally looking up.

Hopefully I will have a another new paid job as I was fired/made redundant through no fault of my own following the floods of 2015 which almost ended up costing me my life because I almost committed suicide due to severe depression and the loss of two life long friends who died suddenly of cancer.

I admit that I am a mess although I am trying to get help from some professional pycalogical councillors for my problems although I will ask my Doctor for advice on how to get pycalogical help for free as it's going to be hellishly expensive other wise I'll keep you informed as to what happens to me next year.

Yours sincerely

Chinababy888

I started out as a DL, deliberately untrained, and am incontinent as a result.

My incon is worse than when I started, yes. I originally thought I would draw the line at daytime wetting. I now have daytime wetting, bedwetting, and usually don't make it to the toilet for #2. It's largely habituation I think at this point, but I also think that I would need to genuinely re-toilet-train to get back out of diapers.

I have had urge incontinence my entire life. It got worse in my early 20's and then much worse in my mid 30's. That certainly was not due to wearing diapers more often. I have worn my whole life because of physical need and occasionally emotional need although when I was teenager there were many times that I needed to wear and didn't (cue the embarrassing accident). I accepted wearing diapers about 26 years ago and, due to a number of medical issues, started wearing 24-7 about 13 years ago when my urge incontinence got much worse. My incontinence really hasn't changed much since that time, I simply have little to no warning in my bladder, but a little more warning in my bowels.

Obviously, if I'm wearing a pull-up or airing out (not wearing at all) and near a bathroom, I'll try to make it to the toilet. Otherwise why bother? Before I can untape (or unpin) my diaper I'll be wetting anyway. The only difference will be if I'm dehydrated then I have a 50-50 chance to make it to the bathroom. The bottomline is I couldn't live my incredibly busy life without diapers or some miracle medical intervention.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
alwayz said:
I have recently started wearing diapers 24/7 for just over 2 weeks and find that although I can control the flow, but have a diminishing warning reflex. It is much easier to wet my diaper anywhere which now makes it more and more important that I wear something to control wetting my clothes

Once I started wearing 24/7 my remaining control was quickly lost. My continence nurse had warned me this would happen and advised me to stay away from pads as they insist on calling them during the day as long as possible but to be honest wearing a nappy and loosing what control I had was easier and less embarrassing than the risk of wet pants in public.

- - - Updated - - -

Inconinmiss said:
I have urge incontinence and have very little time between the onset of an "urge" and the beginning of involuntary urination. Nevertheless, if a toilet is nearby, I will use the toilet instead of my diaper. But if there is no nearby, handy toilet or I have something more interesting to do, I wet in my diaper. On a typical day, I would guess that I use the toilet maybe once or twice and use my diaper the rest of the time.
I guess it is similar for me. If a toilet was close by I would probably use it but most of the time I just use my nappy. I certainly wouldn't get up during the night now. If on rare occasions I wake needing to pee I just let go and drift back to sleep.

For me I found that wearing protection actually helped reduce wetting episodes. I started using pull-ups when I thought I might not be able to find a loo quickly. This reduced stress as I knew I could “survive” a wetting if I didn’t make it in time. The stress was definitely a factor when I had leaks or full-blown accidents in the past - I would panic and that would contribute to the bladder spasms. Most of the time I make it to the bathroom and don’t need to use my pull-ups, but it’s good to know that I am protected just in case.

• Love
Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
I didn't notice any change in response to wearing diapers for DL purposes. For me, episodes of urge incontinence are usually triggered by stress and anxiety, and the problem goes away when I'm feeling generally calm and things are going well. One of the ways it sometimes manifests is as a non-stop urge to go, and while I usually can resist it on my own, it can sometimes be very difficult especially when I'm trying to go to sleep. So I usually just put on a diaper and forget about it until the episode passes (usually after several hours). To some extent I'm arguably using diapers for convenience during those episodes, since I would probably be much more reluctant if I weren't a DL; I'd probably want to take a pill for it or something.

So, yes, I probably use more diapers than I otherwise would if I weren't DL, but using them hasn't worsened my IC issues so far as I can tell.

Over time it did get worse. Now i make it to the rest room 1 out of 10 times. Before it was the other way.

Since I have no control There is no where to go but up towards getting control my doctor says I wont regain continence at all Diapers did not have anything to do with it my bladder just gave up . Muscles have atrophied to a point that they will not recover and I cannot go through surgery I have had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and almost did not come out of it during a tonsilectomy.

Sheepies said:
I only use occasionally and have very mild stress IC. Not enough to be considered IC but enough to have an accident if I'm not careful.

And I see no difference at all. Can still easily make it to the toilet if I need to, but if I'm wearing, it's much more convenient.

she has lots and lots of accidents, especially if she is caught by surprise by her goat giving her a love headbutt

xpluswearer said:
Since I have no control There is no where to go but up towards getting control my doctor says I wont regain continence at all Diapers did not have anything to do with it my bladder just gave up . Muscles have atrophied to a point that they will not recover and I cannot go through surgery I have had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and almost did not come out of it during a tonsilectomy.

My incontinence cannot be cured as I have nerve damage caused by my diabetes. My urologist refered me to the continence nurse following my diagnosis for practical help and said I would have to learn to live with being incontinent for the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back