Thread: Diploma Mill

Default Diploma Mill

I decided to do the diploma, I did drop out of it, instead as everything about them turned out to be true.

There a diploma mill scam, no clue how the hell they are even around, must have oiled some politicians hands.

Anyway, I'm going to write this for further reference.

1. The college is Australian, and seems to go under 200 different names, which is sketchy enough.

2. The teachers, aren't even qualified teachers, they have a diploma at the same fucking college, while I was there I was the only one doing the course, I overheard a conversation on how they twist the rules and let some people do the test as much as they want, even though I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

3. I'm the only one doing the course, they have enough information about me to commit identity theft, I'm not kidding, they copied both my photo ID and my birth certificate without my knowledge, I gave it to them to look at, not to fucking photocopy, so chances are It's stored on a computer somewhere. It could be possible they could use that information to blackmail me even.

Every aspect of there organization smells fishy, no one does work, tutor can't fucking spell at all, I was literally laughing when he marked my work, stopped going in as it was a joke, and requested to be dropped out of my course, because I did, I don't have to deal with any debt, unless they do sketchy things.

They act all nice, until they suck you in, then they don't care, I pretty much sat by myself the whole time, sure some of the teachers are nice, but you can tell they don't like what there doing.

Not being mean, but from what I've gathered they target the disabled, the LGBT community etc. I've seen a few transsexuals there myself. pretty much you sit there googling crap half the time.

Even tafe which is a public education system, didn't require a scan of anything, and actually taught me stuff, so I'm going to get a job and focus on my life. I made the smart move and dropped the course, even though my mother doesn't believe me that it's a scam.

The work was way too easy, I mean very easy, I looked though the entire course, pretty much you fill in the blanks. It's not a diploma or even a certificate level. My cert 3 was harder than this nonsense.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm kind of worried and writing this down as I may be able to use this in the future, if I notice any bank accounts opened up under my name, or anything of the likes.

I feel sorry for a lot of the people there, as they look so desperate and hoping to build careers from it, but it turns out that the diploma itself is useless.

I should add, some of the people who go there, are clearly on drugs, and are only using it for government benefits. (not that I have a problem with that personally)

Is there anything I can do?

what is it you would like to do?

When you ask if there is anything you can do, do you mean anything you can do to help other students you feel are being taken advantage of?

do you mean, is there anything you can do for an alternative diploma program?

do you mean is there anything you can do to report this institution you feel is operating dishonestly?

If you are concerned about the identity theft, the only real assurance i can think of would be one of the programs that monitor and alert you to when your name or information is used on specific things. I.E. Lifelock or something similar.

other then that, It sounds like the cat is already out of the bag with your information.

Unfortunately there are a lot of diploma and certification mills out there taking large amounts of money for a token amount of education and a piece of paper that won't get you a job at McDonalds. ITT tech was pretty notorious and has finally been forced out of business, but there are plenty more where it came from.

In general though. education is expensive and even if the school you were attending wasn't a scam it's a really good idea to research whether the paper you get at the end is worth anything. Look around the area you want to work and see if a diploma/degree from the school is considered acceptable, even go as far as calling employers in the industry and asking if they have hired people from there or if they have any kind of internship/co-op program with the school.

Also usual bit about if something is too good to be true, it usually is. These kind of places tend to pray on people with less than stellar academic performance who would struggle to get into a traditional university. It's all about the low admission requirements (they'll take pretty much anyone with an above room temperature IQ and a chequebook).

Good news is you probably don't have to worry about identity theft. They are already making money hand over fist legally, but always a good idea to monitor your credit report and such (no idea how that works in Australia, here in Canada we are entitled to a free copy once a year from the 2 major vendors, and personally I wouldn't spend any more money beyond that).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Unfortunately there are a lot of diploma and certification mills out there taking large amounts of money for a token amount of education and a piece of paper that won't get you a job at McDonalds. ITT tech was pretty notorious and has finally been forced out of business, but there are plenty more where it came from.

In general though. education is expensive and even if the school you were attending wasn't a scam it's a really good idea to research whether the paper you get at the end is worth anything. Look around the area you want to work and see if a diploma/degree from the school is considered acceptable, even go as far as calling employers in the industry and asking if they have hired people from there or if they have any kind of internship/co-op program with the school.

Also usual bit about if something is too good to be true, it usually is. These kind of places tend to pray on people with less than stellar academic performance who would struggle to get into a traditional university. It's all about the low admission requirements (they'll take pretty much anyone with an above room temperature IQ and a chequebook).

Good news is you probably don't have to worry about identity theft. They are already making money hand over fist legally, but always a good idea to monitor your credit report and such (no idea how that works in Australia, here in Canada we are entitled to a free copy once a year from the 2 major vendors, and personally I wouldn't spend any more money beyond that).
    Yeah I'm going to check my credit record, I don't get charged a cent for dropping out since I dropped out before the charging date, now here is the thing

They lied to me about the course fees, It's not $27,000 AUD It's more like $32,400 and for that might just do uni lol.

Even than, that price figure is a red flag, as TAFE only charges 5K for the diploma, or $500 for the cert ($1500 if you're not a concession)