Attends Poly Briefs - Highly recommend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellyjigger

Est. Contributor
Lately, (like the past 15 years!) the Attends have been kind of crappy. Every couple of years I like to try out various brands out to see if they've changed. I tried a case of the Attends Poly Briefs last week as they are plastic backed and are actually a cheaper version of the waistband briefs (also plastic backed). The last time I tried the waistband briefs, they had nice plastic, but the absorbency was crappy as usual.

Anyway, you can get a case of 96 of the Attends Poly Briefs for less than $40 with free shipping on Amazon, so you really can't get a cheaper diaper.

Now I'll say the plastic wasn't as good and as soft as the 80's-90's Attends, BUT it was certainly the thickest crinkliest kind of plastic backing available today in a non-ABDL diaper! The plastic rivals even the kind commonly available in the 90s for many brands available then... just not the original Attends soft-shiny plastic.

Because they have "poly" in the name, the company actually intends on not hiding this fact which is a plus and maybe why the plastic is so good and thick? I would even venture to say the plastic seems just a bit thicker than the gauge on the waistband briefs.

The tapes were double-tapes that stuck very well. Of the few I've tried sofar, the tapes never came off and the diapers held their fit so well, I haven't thus far needed to refasten.

Even better, the leg gathers elastic was so springy, you can really feel it "hug" your legs better than any other diaper made since the 90s. The bulk McKesson plastic briefs had great gathers in the past couple years, but last-year they changed their briefs *again* trying to be a cloth-plastic shell hybrid. WTF??

However what really surprised me is that the thickness of these diapers was about double that of the waistband version I had last tried 6 months ago. This absorbency might not hold a candle to the super briefs commonly spoken of in these forums, but in my mind, makes these more legitimate and usable-enough.

Absorbency is nice, but nothing beats the texture of a good plastic backed diaper especially one that hugs your legs like these do. Now that they hold more, it is enough that I could actually use them at night without leaks (most of the time).

I was utterly shocked you can even buy something like this nowadays in the light of all the crap diapers available. Granted this won't satisfy everyone, but for comfort and the feeling of a real diaper like those made in the old days, I'd highly recommend trying these. Who knows how long they'll make em like this, so I just wanted to pass this on!

Good to hear. I had been a fan of the Attends plastic backed since I bought a case about 5 years ago that I still have some left. They made a nice inexpensive diaper that made sense for shorter wearing time and felt nice when wet. Not great capacity but good for the right time. Also did real well with a booster. I may try a case if really this cheap.

I have been buying these diapers for a few years now; they are one of the best deals when it comes to having a cheap plastic backed diaper for the sake of wearing a diaper. I am typically diapered when I am at home, and I use these diapers when time constraints will not enable me to use a premium diaper to its proper capacity.

In my experience Tranquility ATN's are an excellent low cost plastic backed diaper. For anyone that has tried both, how do Attends Poly Briefs compare to ATNs?

I started my diapered life in the original Attends tri tapes and have moved to different brands when they improved them into garbage, I was in the health jail in February and they put attends on me in he Hospital and they were pretty damn good , it also helped the Nurses changed me ever half hour , at home I go through 5 Tranquility a day and sleep in an a cloth super heavy weight night diaper, but I agree the recent Attends have been coming up as good diapers , if this continues I might find my way back to wearing them.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

That's somewhat encouraging to see. I don't suppose they have standing leak guards?

Yes they do Trevor , all the comforts of home in an affordable decent diaper.

WBxx said:
In my experience Tranquility ATN's are an excellent low cost plastic backed diaper. For anyone that has tried both, how do Attends Poly Briefs compare to ATNs?

Took the words out of my mouth.

I think the attends name and manufacturing facility in north america has been bought out by another company because one they now say "Domtar inc" instead of "Paper-Pak" on the package and also they have changed every single thing possible about them, the packaging, the appearance of the logo, and the materials and appearance of the diapers themselves has changed alot as well. Not to say that these changes have made them great but they are certainly getting better a little at a time.

I don't understand why American Attends are considered a cheaper standard Nappy because here in the UK they are fantastic Nappies, my overall favourite.

You guys have versions of nappies that they don't market sell or sometimes even acknowledge available to you that is like a prime rib dinner for the cost of a hot dog here.

Huh, I didn't know that somebody bought the Attends line. I was never familiar with Paper-Pak's other products, but Domtar is literally a paper company from Canada with a US presence. (Domtar has a warehouse in my city for processing paper.) It's something of a relief, after Paper-Pak sort of ran the line into the ground.

I wonder if there was ever a connection between US Attends and those in the UK/Europe or elsewhere? Which came first? Perhaps the company split at some point, or a company simply bought the rights to use the name?

Good to hear they're making something decent again. The last time I bought Attends was probably 2004. The filling was like quick-set cement: It just froze in whatever position it was in when you wet it and stayed that way. The top sheet also wouldn't allow anything through that was thicker than pee. If you ejaculated in your diaper, it would never absorb and would be stuck against your skin. The 3 tape ones looked like granny panties to me and I never tried those.

The Attends w/Waistband used to be my primary day diaper, but absorbency became an issue and I stopped using them. I may acquire some of the Poly Backed ones to give them a shot, worst case scenario they become one of my diapers I get changed into when I had to be changed but I've only got an hour or so until I intend to put on my diaper to go somewhere. Comes up more often than you think, and when a diaper doesn't meet my requirements I'll use them for that until I run out of them.

Trevor said:
That's somewhat encouraging to see. I don't suppose they have standing leak guards?

No standing leak guards were in the ones I purchased. By the way, the product code for the "Poly Briefs" was BR20 (they were medium). Apparently there was a cheaper version called "Value Tier Poly Briefs" which I did not try. I can tell those don't have the double tapes and likely are missing absorbency. I noticed on various websites I searched there was an additional version of Attends called "Attends Care", with the a european-looking logo. Can any European wearers confirm that you guys buy the "Attends Care"?

I would suspect that if the Poly Briefs are fairly absorbent now, the Waistband Poly Briefs might be as absorbent or a little more as the line may have just changed, but that's a guess. As an example, I've bought cases of the Kendall (now Covidien) Wings with a couple months in between and the gauge of the plastic and positions of the "fluff" that really isn't in the sides any longer literally changed with the different batches. However Attends have seemed a little more consistent throughout the years than Covidien as I've been consistently using the thick-plastic backed Attends undergarments for the past couple year during the daytime as these are the only non-clothlike belted undergarment available in the US to my knowledge.

Just like with all adult diapers nowadays, unfortunately there is always this moment of holding your breath when you open the package hoping they didn't change them on you or stick you with cloth-like - something that has probably happened to many people on this board one time or another! :p

jellyjigger said:
Just like with all adult diapers nowadays, unfortunately there is always this moment of holding your breath when you open the package hoping they didn't change them on you or stick you with cloth-like - something that has probably happened to many people on this board one time or another! :p

I totally get that!

Wikipedia says that Domtar purchased both the US Attends and the European Attends in 2011 and 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense and explains the changes seen recently with Attends.

Attends Poly Briefs, might they merit a formal review?

Yeah paper pak sold off Attends so they could focus on there big money always and not sell competing products against themselves, I think it has been a resuscitation of a formerly grand name of diapers, it seems that Domtar has been putting some R&D money into bringing them back, my G/F never met the trip tapes I long ago wore but wears the current product exclusively, no matter what I introduce her to, she always goes back to the Attends and says she doesn't like the fit of anything else,even though she would be much better served by use of something on the level of a Northshore because she has a period of about 7 hours when she is alone everyday and can't change herself ( she did not like the fit of the Northshores I gave her and claimed the tapes sucked, to each there own) , I make jokes about not peeing in my computer but she does everyday in Attends, she is going to kill her wheelchair with super saturating her diapers and it leaking into her chairs controls .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back