Thread: Another Year.............

Default Another Year.............

My birthday is around the corner. Ugh. I've done nothing. I honestly hate myself a little more as time go on. I just don't want to do anything for my birthday. I was looking forward to it, but I now feel like a failure.

I can empathize with that, sometimes I feel like I dont deserve any attention on my birthday, it does not occur to celebrate all the things that I personally bring to other peoples lives, or let the people who enjoy my company show their appreciation. I blind myself to any positive influences I have on others. all I can see is that number of years going up and feeling as if its nothing to celebrate.

there are other reasons i prefer not too as well. namely presents. I dont care ofr presents, partly because i feel obligated to get them something eventually for their birthday or holiday, and partly because I DO enjoy the simplicity of not having to be concerned about what should i get this person, or i now have to seem enthusiastic about this other persons gift.

give me good times and free food anyday.

I guess the nice thing about birthdays and New years resolutions is they give us a chance to reflect on the things we dont like about ourselves. its a step closer to us tearing off our shirts and yelling no more! (metaphorically) and initiating the change in our lives we want.

Quote Originally Posted by KryanAshford View Post
    My birthday is around the corner. Ugh. I've done nothing. I honestly hate myself a little more as time go on. I just don't want to do anything for my birthday. I was looking forward to it, but I now feel like a failure.
    Well, I'm going to take a risk and say it anyway...Happy Birthday! I hope you have a good one and that you're able to pull yourself out of this slump. We all get them.

I think the significance of the day is it 'officially' makes us another year older, and it can often be a time for reflection on what we've accomplished in life and where we hope to be in the year ahead. And, yes, they can sometimes be a very depressing time for many people. You're not alone in feeling that way.

My advice to you is to simply focus on the day itself and enjoy everything that goes with it. Don't think about the things that have or haven't happened in your life.

Birthdays are an acknowledgement that we all get older and that time passes for each of us. But the reality is that time itself is nothing more than an illusion. We can't go back in time and change the events that have occurred in past years, nor can we change the decisions we made. We can only live in the here and now. We spend so much time thinking about what we hope to accomplish in our lives and worrying about the future, and as a result, we sometimes blame ourselves for not having achieved our goals.

When I say that time is an illusion, I mean simply that our pasts are unchangeable and that the future is a question. We have only the present moment in which we live to make clear decisions and to act on our feelings. Negativity, depression, and low self-esteem are counterproductive to moving forward. These feelings can consume us and drain us of our energy, preventing us from taking positive action in the present.

So right now... just pay attention to this moment. Don't think about what's happened in the past or how it has affected you. Don't think about where you had hoped to be or where you might be in the years to come. Just think about where you are right now and identify one small thing you can do today that will make you happy. It can be as simple as seeing a movie or calling up a friend, or taking the first steps to finding long term happiness, such contacting your doctor to discuss your feelings, or speaking to an employment counsellor. Just focus on something manageable and not overwhelming, and act on it, giving it your full attention. Set small achievable goals for yourself, and as you reach each one, you will find yourself building the steps to a happier life.

So, best wishes for a happy birthday. I wish you happiness and success in the years ahead, and most importantly, I wish you peace of mind today.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 13-Sep-2016 at 01:50.

There is another way to look at it once you get to a certain age.... Congratulations! You fooled 'em for another year!

I haven't celebrated my birthday in 8 yrs it is just another day nothing more

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Birthdays can be hard on us, especially us "littles" because we're one more year further away from those very young years. When I turned 30 I looked at myself and realized I wasn't going to be a famous recording musical artist and so I changed jobs to where I was more in control and making more money, rather than chasing a dream. We all hit these crossroads moments. Don't let it get you down but learn from it and do something different.

I'm constantly reinventing myself. This year I decided to learn some of the big, Romantic piano pieces. I even went out (with my wife) and bought the best digital piano made, a Yamaha Avant Grand. When I learn and play a new big piece, I feel like I've accomplished something great. Certainly, the musical piece is great even if I'm not, but I'm associated with its greatness. You just have to find "your thing" and enjoy doing it. Anyway and for what it's worth, Happy Birthday!

I felt that way at 25. It's gotten better and better since then.

Wear last night and it help make the feelings go away. I would wear on a more permanent basis, but there's too many people at my house.