Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Websites not accepting my ID.

  1. #1

    Default Websites not accepting my ID.

    I've got this dilemma which is driving me crazy, I feel like my ID is pretty much useless I'll explain why.

    In Australia we have a thing called proof of age / identity, It's a valid government issued ID, however most websites that are asking me for ID only accept passports and drivers licences.

    So I was going to register for parcel storage, online easy enough I thought, but they only accept passport or drivers licences ok.

    I went to register my phone sim both in store and online, couldn't use my proof of age card for that either.

    Namecheap account gets locked, only accepts passport, well I'm screwed there.

    Tries to buy bitcoin, they don't see a proof of age card as valid government ID, sent a few emails to complain about it, I always get the same generic reply, please use government issued documents, are you fucking kidding me.

    So, I can use my ID to open up bank accounts, buy alcohol, but I can't register for a parcel storage service online seems legit. what a world we live in.

    I really don't want to have to get my drivers licence or passport in order to do specific stuff online, It's driving me mental.

    Both proof of identity and drivers licences are issued by the same department, why the hell can't they just cross reference the information. Even when I enter the ID number, it always returns not a valid drivers licence number.

    The logic with some agencies and companies drives me nuts.

    Can use medicare card to register phone But can't use my photo ID, the hell is this nonsense.

  2. #2
    PaddedPuppy

    Default

    Its probably something to do with international companies that operate in other countries as well as your own. They probably just see it to make sense to only accept passport or drivers license, something that is available in every country, and can be used without having to change the policy from one location to another.

    In the UK For example we don't get government issued ID Cards. If you want to prove your identity for something the most common one is the drivers license. Even if someone has no intention of learning to drive they get a provisional license just to prove their age/identity here.

    You say you don't want to get your license or passport, is there any reason why? If you want to prove who you are for some things, you will just have to accept that you have to jump through their hoops. And a passport or drivers license is hardly a waste. Both are incredibly useful as ID, as I am sure you have learned, and will also enable you to learn to drive, or leave the country.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    Its probably something to do with international companies that operate in other countries as well as your own. They probably just see it to make sense to only accept passport or drivers license, something that is available in every country, and can be used without having to change the policy from one location to another.

    In the UK For example we don't get government issued ID Cards. If you want to prove your identity for something the most common one is the drivers license. Even if someone has no intention of learning to drive they get a provisional license just to prove their age/identity here.

    You say you don't want to get your license or passport, is there any reason why? If you want to prove who you are for some things, you will just have to accept that you have to jump through their hoops. And a passport or drivers license is hardly a waste. Both are incredibly useful as ID, as I am sure you have learned, and will also enable you to learn to drive, or leave the country.
    I'm going to go for my licence soon, but atm I don't want to go though the effort just to register or buy specific services online.

    Even with a passport, I don't see the point getting one currently in order to unlock an account, see where I'm going with this, I have to pay roughly 250 for a passport and wait a couple weeks, seems kind of pointless as I may not need it again. If I were to travel overseas than it would make sense, but since I may not leave the country for some time, seems pointless.

    As for the drivers licence, sure I could get one, but am a student and don't have money to constantly go down 4km to do a drivers licence test atm, as I live a bit of a distance away. Even than takes some time for it to arrive.

  4. #4

    Default

    Get a Passport. Passports have many advantages.
    As well as being the gold standard of ID, and allowing international travel, they're actually more secure than a driver's license, because they don't show your address.

    Even if you never intend to travel, having a Passport is quite useful. The downside is they're hard to replace if lost, but the solution for that is simple: don't lose them.

    Also, I can't remember the last time any website asked me to provide ID. If yours do, you might want to consider alternatives. Perhaps it is a bank or something, in which case fair enough. VERY few websites outside of the banking/government realm have a legit reason to demand ID, though.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Get a Passport. Passports have many advantages.
    As well as being the gold standard of ID, and allowing international travel, they're actually more secure than a driver's license, because they don't show your address.

    Even if you never intend to travel, having a Passport is quite useful. The downside is they're hard to replace if lost, but the solution for that is simple: don't lose them.

    Also, I can't remember the last time any website asked me to provide ID. If yours do, you might want to consider alternatives. Perhaps it is a bank or something, in which case fair enough. VERY few websites outside of the banking/government realm have a legit reason to demand ID, though.
    Well, 99% of sites where you buy bitcoin are very strict with ID, they have very stupid ID requirements, like a picture of you holding the ID, the back, than a picture of your ID. which is odd.

    Most hosting sites do, Facebook does occasionally, I've noticed with go daddy they mostly do it with promotions, like 99c domains, I've had it happen once, never went with them again as that's insane. (It's mostly 50/50) sometimes they demand ID, sometimes they don't, they mostly do it if you order over $200.

    With hosting usually any ID is acceptable, with your odd one being namecheap, which was a pain as I didn't apply for my proof of age until way after I turned 18, I'm 19 now so It's not too much of an issue with hosting sites.

    I've lost interest in bitcoin because of that reason, I shouldn't need to hand over my drivers licence which I don't have, in order to buy a lousy $5 worth of bitcoin.

    The ID checks are mostly to stop the classical Nigerian fraudster for using stolen CCs but occasionally my orders get flagged for simple things, I once had a order flagged for spelling my address wrong, because the address didn't match my debit card which was in my name.

    Of course I couldn't upload my ID as I didn't have one at the time, so they just refunded me. Mind you I live on a street which has odd spelling and most people including me spell it wrong. I've lived here for years, still can't spell it right 99% of the time.

    That and I'm the odd case of having some of my ID and debit cards with my full name, and the other with first last, I have two bank accounts with two debit cards, which raises flags sometimes.

  6. #6
    yurguardianangel

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    Its probably something to do with international companies that operate in other countries as well as your own. They probably just see it to make sense to only accept passport or drivers license, something that is available in every country, and can be used without having to change the policy from one location to another.

    In the UK For example we don't get government issued ID Cards. If you want to prove your identity for something the most common one is the drivers license. Even if someone has no intention of learning to drive they get a provisional license just to prove their age/identity here.

    You say you don't want to get your license or passport, is there any reason why? If you want to prove who you are for some things, you will just have to accept that you have to jump through their hoops. And a passport or drivers license is hardly a waste. Both are incredibly useful as ID, as I am sure you have learned, and will also enable you to learn to drive, or leave the country.
    That's incorrect though, I'm pretty sure.


    Pretty sure there's still ID cards you can buy with your age,photo, hologram,etc on them.
    Last time I used such a card was over 10 years ago though for nightclubs that were 21 and over.

    Was things like validate and simular around then,might still exsist now.

    However being 32 now I don't have to worry.

  7. #7

    Default

    If it was anything like the one i had they are as useless as tits on a bull!
    I had a "keypass" i.d card ready and in time for my 18th birthday, only to find later that night it was not accepted anywhere, good waste of money that turned out to be.
    I also had my vic learners permit card at the time and that was not accepted as valid i.d either (probationary and full license cards were accepted), so needless to say i ended up having a quiet night that night!

  8. #8
    PaddedPuppy

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by yurguardianangel View Post
    That's incorrect though, I'm pretty sure.


    Pretty sure there's still ID cards you can buy with your age,photo, hologram,etc on them.
    Last time I used such a card was over 10 years ago though for nightclubs that were 21 and over.

    Was things like validate and simular around then,might still exsist now.

    However being 32 now I don't have to worry.
    Yep. Citizencard proof of age cards with the 'PASS' logo on them are still a thing. Things like the Young Scot card give all Scottish people under 25 the chance to get things like discounted travel, admission to attractions etc. in Scotland, and they all have the pass mark on them too.

    These aren't government issued however, and only certain places choose to accept them.

    Also, as this is purely as proof of age, its not something that is widely accepted for proof of identity, and certainly isn't accepted online. So something like this wouldn't be suitable for most of the OP's requirements, and is even more useless compared to their existing ID Card.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkBear View Post
    Well, 99% of sites where you buy bitcoin are very strict with ID, they have very stupid ID requirements, like a picture of you holding the ID, the back, than a picture of your ID. which is odd.
    Is this primarily about buying bitcoin? If so, then just don't buy bitcoin. It doesn't have a practical use case right now and at best is a very speculative vehicle to hold money in.

    If this is about something else, something necessary and legitimate enough to give an ID to, then this is a good juncture to get your passport. Passports are the gold standard ID, useful in a pinch for a lot of things, necessary for international travel, and typically are valid for a decade which is lot of time to grow into a need for it that you didn't initially expect.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fruitkitty View Post
    Is this primarily about buying bitcoin? If so, then just don't buy bitcoin. It doesn't have a practical use case right now and at best is a very speculative vehicle to hold money in.

    If this is about something else, something necessary and legitimate enough to give an ID to, then this is a good juncture to get your passport. Passports are the gold standard ID, useful in a pinch for a lot of things, necessary for international travel, and typically are valid for a decade which is lot of time to grow into a need for it that you didn't initially expect.
    Not primary, there other other things.
    1. Whenever i try register a prepaid phone even in store, they won't accept proof of age. I always have to use my medicare number.
    2. Renting parcel storage online is an issue.
    3. My bank requires a DL or Passport for loans online.
    4. some banks don't even accept my birth certificate online as, mine was pre-2000, and doesn't have a certificate number on it, only a registration number. newer ones have both a registration number and a certificate number.

    Now that I think of it, I should probably get my passport.

Similar Threads

  1. Websites
    By Snivy in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2014, 12:37
  2. websites help
    By rilo in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2014, 06:49
  3. fun websites
    By yourhuggies in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2009, 15:07
  4. Other websites...
    By Kovy in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-May-2009, 14:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.