Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Use Vinyl Music?

Secret

Default Anyone Here Use Vinyl Music?

Im wondering if anyone here uses vinyl instead of MP3s and CDs. from 12's to 45's whats your collection like how big or how small and what player you use for it.

Yes the giant picture was very necessary!

I use to use vinyl... then the player broke. My collection is truly mine, its my grandmothers and mainly includes about 20 albums of vicente fernandez and about 15 or so other mexican singers.

o0o0oh I'm always scoping GoodWill for records.
    Give me tomorrow and I'll list my stash in the morning ^_^

angelabauer

Oh yes, my husband Don had a big vinyl and even some 78 records when we met. He had a really good turntable, which unfortunately did not have 78. Often we would listen to those albums.

My folks and grandparents always were playing albums as I grew up, everything from classical through jazz and big band then rock. About 2000 Don bought Diamond Cut software that reduces clicks and so on when converting old records to CD. Along with that software Don bought a really great turntable which was reconditioned after being sold by a radio station converting to only CD. This does have 78. The turntables of my folks and grandparents gave up ages ago. They gave us all those albums. Don has been restoring them on CD. All my relatives love the restored CD.

Even with the clicks Don and I really prefer listening to the original vinyl.

One of the greatest resources for unusual vinyl has been the "FREE SHIT" bin at college radio stations.

I use vinyl tons. While I don't often listen to music on vinyl, I often like vinyl for sampling -- it's great to be able to pull a really (intentional) horrible quality sound sample from a vinyl track and sequence it for whatever, whether it be for making loops or samples.

I have a vinyl collection that I inherited from relatives that spaces from classical music to rock from the seventies/eighties, to some pop 45s from the sixties, and I even have some ceramic 78 rpm records, these ones mainly with classical music. Tbh, I haven't been listening to them in quite a while...

For 33 and 45 rpms I have a Technics turntable bought by my dad 30 years ago, and for the ceramic 78 rpms a cheaper one that is something like 40/50 years old but still working perfectly.

Secret

I found like half of my collection in a house that was being torn down, which consisted of The Beats, Bruce springstien, ELO, Hendrix, The doors, Led zepplin and some original Rolling Stones stuff. And the other half I either bought at goodwill or at a dedicated record store.

I have a fairly good collection of vinyl (about 100 or so albums) and a working Technics SL-B2 turntable (recently cleaned the controls and replaced the belt). I also have almost all the Beatles' albums on vinyl. Sometimes it's just fun to listen to music on a record player...it's just a different feeling, and the impurities in the sound quality add to it in a nice way IMO.

Oh and ELO....kicks ass

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    One of the greatest resources for unusual vinyl has been the "FREE SHIT" bin at college radio stations.

I use vinyl tons. While I don't often listen to music on vinyl, I often like vinyl for sampling -- it's great to be able to pull a really (intentional) horrible quality sound sample from a vinyl track and sequence it for whatever, whether it be for making loops or samples.
    Dawes, do you DJ? : )

I listen to vinyls and use them for my DJ sets for the same reasons Dawes has listed above.

- Asher

I have my own little collection of vinyl. Vinyl is the ONLY way to listen to '80s heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc...).

I have 2 Technics SL-1200s that I use regularly which I have integrated into my computer and surround system.

On the note of college radio station vinyl...I volunteered at a college radio station, and since I actually knew what vinyl was and listened to it, I was given 4 large boxes of records that they were going to get rid of. That's also how I got the Technics units. They didn't want to pay the money to buy a new needle stylus for each of them and $10 in replacement parts for the one. It cost me $60 total for 2 new needle stylii and the replacement knobs. So I look at it as paying the sixty bucks for 2 turntables that new would cost upwards of $500 each!