First use of Perfume in Diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchtopK

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Anyone want to take a stab at the date Pampers introduced perfume? I was buying them in the 80's and they had perfume. My niece, born in 1970 had them, but I cannot remember if they had the scent then or not. I recently found a colgate(huggies) patent dated 1965, issued in 1968 that references a coconut-vanillin perfume. Does anyone buying pampers in these early times remember?

I was a kid stealing them during that time. I remember the scent quite vividly. It was nice!!

I wish they still had that scent! Those old school plastic backed 80's pampers...smelled soooooooo good. God I miss that smell. Why did they stop?

I think its pretty good.

Angusmac said:
I wish they still had that scent! Why did they stop?

Probably one person complained, as in everything else that has gone bye-bye because you just can't please everyone...

there was a scent free movement that swept in during the 90's. Then slowly scents started returning. I remember Pampers customer service telling me that the new scent was more reminiscent of baby powder. This confirmed my memory of the original scent as being nothing really like baby powder. As i noted elsewhere, i found a Colgate patent from 1965 that referred to coconut-vanillin scent as appropriate. So I want to start experimenting. Vanilla was definitely the base note, but my nose is having a hard time nailing down the rest. I wish I could simply talk with some of the P&G pioneers, but reaching into that company is impossible.

Remembering back in the 1970's, Charmin and Pampers had exactly the same scent. I believe it was put there to deodorize, as I remember it being very effective. And yes, the scent was very pleasant. It was similar to the current Luvs diapers.

I know this has been discussed much, but there is somewhat of a return to the pampers smell of the 70's. I caught it once more while passing down the isle. I believe it is from Pampers swaddlers or more likely baby dry. I want to pick up a box and squeeze it to smell but that would be too weird. It could be Luvs, too.

Does anyone with access to these know which one smells like it? I don't want to waste money buying them all, but I might have to. The smell is intoxicating down the isle these days.

PamperDamper said:
I know this has been discussed much, but there is somewhat of a return to the pampers smell of the 70's. I caught it once more while passing down the isle. I believe it is from Pampers swaddlers or more likely baby dry. I want to pick up a box and squeeze it to smell but that would be too weird. It could be Luvs, too.

Does anyone with access to these know which one smells like it? I don't want to waste money buying them all, but I might have to. The smell is intoxicating down the isle these days.
By my nose (and my memory, as I no longer have any old Pampers and wouldn't trust them if I did), the vintage Pampers scent falls somewhere in between the scent of modern Luvs and modern Easy-Ups. Closer to Easy-Ups, I think, as there's a bit more of a "sweetness" to that scent--or was, as of my last bag.

scent doesn't last long. I have purchased sealed boxes of vintage pampers only to find no scent. if it isn't too long, you can sometimes bring the scent back by applying alcohol. I tried but no luck. You don't think about how fast this product must move from factory to shelves to customer, but it is likely to be just days. so the scent does not have to last too long. When reading the patents, they say the scent was locked away in the folds of the diaper. Today's diapers don't have those nice folds so it is harder to do. Does anyone know any executives at P&G. Some of the names on the patents still work there like RC Duncan. He is also on linked in, but you need a premium account to reach out to someone. He may be able to shed some light on the original formula, but maybe not too trade secrets and all.

There would undoubtedly be many happy people could we mimic that scent. Thanks. Will check next time down the store isle if the scent is from easy ups, too.

Here is the email I sent to the media dept of P&G. More than a week and no answer so far.

I am trying to complete a missing section for the Pampers Wikipedia page.
Namely, the introduction of scent or perfume to the Pampers product.
I would like to know:

1. what year was scent introduced? (I believe it was 1970 but would like to be sure)
2. what was the goal of that scent?(IE mask odors or simply to be a pleasant memorable scent)
3. what were the perfume notes of the scent?(IE coconut, sandalwood, vanilla)
4. What year was the scent discontinued?(I believe it was 1990 but would like to be sure)
5. did P&G develop the scent, or was it subbed out to a private company like Quest?

Some of the names present on the older patents are still with the company, but some have also retired.
But they seem all but impossible to reach for comment.
I would like to get answers to these questions before all the "founders" are gone and the information is lost to history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back