My financial aid came in and I know exactly what I want to spend the leftovers on~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepies

Just your friendly neighborhood baa-by
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Ah! I love college financial aid.
After textbook, food, and gas costs, I know EXACTLY what I want to buy.

Had my eyes on some ABU nappies for a loooong while. Definitely ordering a sample pack of those. Thinking 1 Little Pawz and 1 Space.
Would really like a Lavender.. But that's part of the vintage pack.

What are your guys' experiences with ABU?

Don't go spending all your leftover money in one place now!

If you want a Lavender mixed with a LittlePawz or Space, just let me know and I can make it happen for you. I just need the order number immediately after you order. I won't go into my experience with ABU, I'm, biased?

Good luck!
-Casey :)

I've only ordered Little Pawz, but I think they're great, definitely one of my top choices for diaper right now. Thick, cute, and absorbent enough to last all day. I wouldn't recommend exercising in them, they're thick enough to chafe around the legs. Ordering experience for me has been no trouble, package comes within 3 days and is left at my door, though I don't know how they'd do with college living if you're in a dorm. Probably no trouble for a sample though, since they're a small bag that can fit in a regular mail slot in most dorms.

Sheepies said:

ABU is awesome! Incredible customer service and superior products! I've ordered from them 5/6 times, and the only issue I've ever had was running out eventually! I highly recommend ABU nappies!

Sheepies said:
Definitely ordering a sample pack of those. Thinking 1 Little Pawz and 1 Space.

Just remember that while the Space and Little Pawz (and the Simple) are made of the same core, the Lavenders are a different diaper altogether!

So, if you try a Space, there's no need to try a Little Pawz.

Sheepies said:
After textbook, food, and gas costs, I know EXACTLY what I want to buy.

Had my eyes on some ABU nappies for a loooong while. Definitely ordering a sample pack of those. Thinking 1 Little Pawz and 1 Space.

At least get a bag if you know the size you need. Samples can be so pricey.

Hands down some of the best diapers I've tried. You won't be disappointed. I'm currently waiting on some SDK's and Space to come in the mail

i ordered 2 sample packs from them and needed some help as i was getting error messages when i tried to submit my order. haven't gotten my package yet but i want to say Casey was amazing!! really took the time with my order and made sure i got exactly what i needed so highly recommend!

I've used ABU Space, Lavender and Little Pawz

I've only ordered Little Pawz from them. They're fantastic; super thick, super absorbent, super cute, and the wetness indicator is a very nice touch.

My only problem with them right now is that I've been using them too fast. :rolleyes:

I am sorry, but does no one else see this as just plain wrong? It reminds me of the welfare mother who sued the government for a vacation. Shouldn't you spend the financial aid money on something educational?

Kenn said:
Shouldn't you spend the financial aid money on something educational?

Whether it's an income tax return or a financial aid check, some people just see it as free money that it doesn't matter how they spend it, spending responsibly or saving it just doesn't occur as an option. Not saying that's true of the OP, just saying I see that a lot. (I work at a school)

A few people I know use their income tax return as a sort of forced savings account, where they get a little windfall once a year they give themselves permission to use for something gratifying, an exemption from responsible spending, a once-a-year treat. I suppose that's reasonable, especially if you (or your partner) lacks the willpower to save up and budget for such things.

But students, I think they should be thinking much more long-term. They're going to be leaving school with some amount of debt, and every time they blow a wad of cash that's "burning a hole in their pocket" (such as a financial aid check) they're just digging a deeper hole they're going to get tossed into the day they graduate. It's easy to say "hey it's been a hard year and I haven't had a break, I deserve this!" Maybe they're right. But it's just delaying the hard times, and lumping them all together in a growing pile that someday is going to have to be suffered through. I'm not fully for or against it, I just think people need to consider the situation they're in, and act responsibly. Maybe some years it is time to get a different car. Maybe other years it's better to set aside a portion of that money into a savings account, and spend the rest on a "financial vacation" as a reward for doing well so far. (so few students have a savings account, because they spend any surplus they have, every single month) Or if times aren't too hard, spend 100% of that money on what you really need or to savings. Life's going to be rough for awhile when you graduate. Just how rough it is depends inversely on how rough it was during school. The more you tough it out now, the easier it will be later, and you'll be thankful. But that can be hard to see, and even more difficult to beleieve. "It can't possibly be worse than it is now!" - ooooooh yes it can my friend!

Owell I suppose that was a little bit of a rant. But speaking from prior experience, and current observation - I'm not armchair-quarterbacking. If you're reading this and thinking I don't know what I'm talking about and you've got it all figured out and the partying and unnecessary spending will be fine if you just can make ends meet till the day you graduate, you're going to have a rude surprise waiting for you and there's probably nothing anyone can do to help you avoid it. So enjoy it while it lasts, and get ready to buckle up because it's going to be a rough ride down the road.

procrastination.jpg

I like that... "let yesterday become your secret ally"

Actually if you read tye fine print on finacial aid it is wrong. If they can prove you spent it on non-educational expenses they can stop all future financial aid payments and collect the misused payment. I think posting in a space like this would be evidence that can be used against the op to collect the money back and cancel all future aid. Grants and scholarships stipulate what they can only be used for. Any other use of the money is considered fraud.

By law financial aid must be paid directly to the school with the exception of room & board if you aren't on campus and transportation and out of pocket school supplies. O.k. so if you calculate your rent and utilities and other school related expenses for the semester and it comes to more than the amount they sent you then you can easily justify getting the money. As long as you have reciepts that total more than the check it doesn't matter if in reality you spent some of it for diapers because you are still paying those bills out of other money. Now, if you live with someone that feeds you and you have zero bills, then all the money has to be accounted for as transportation to school and supplies you have to have for class. In this case, you aren't as free to spend the money because you won't have the receipts to prove you needed the money unless your gas comes to more. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount sent home was very small since college is so expensive. I like the advice to save some for the future if possible, but having receipts to justify the aid is more important if the government checks into it. My husband always paid his rent ahead for the semester when the check came in. I didn't have rent when I was in school. I just used it for utilities and saved some. Then since I worked while in college and kept the same job afterwards, I was able to put my savings against my loan and pay it off within a few months before I married. I didn't want to complicate my marriage with more debt. Now we are focusing on paying the house off.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

I expect most students today have no intent of repaying financial aid. And the way things are going that will likely be the case.

Wooooah now, I'm not blowing my wad on diapers. There's no reckless shopping sprees or partying going on here and am extremely frugal with my money. Heck, if I weren't so careful with my money when I was working, I'd be in a lot of trouble seeing as I had amounted a cushy enough savings to fall back on when I had the accident that cost me the ability to walk for 5 months. And I still plan on stowing away at least half of my available spending money back into savings. Just because I'm a young college student doesn't mean I don't know how to manage money.

Was just saying I'd like to order a sample pack with whatever I have leftover after major expenses have been paid and accounted for.

Definitely not going into debt for $12 come on now.

College is already paid for in full with $0 owed to the school. The only actual debt under my name are medical bills.
The bulk of my financial aid (grant, not loan) goes directly to the college and any leftovers are mailed to me in check form and cashed at my bank to be used however I see fit.
If I'm paying all my bills and have gas / grocery / book money handled what's the problem exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

klo555 said:
If you want a Lavender mixed with a LittlePawz or Space, just let me know and I can make it happen for you. I just need the order number immediately after you order. I won't go into my experience with ABU, I'm, biased?

Good luck!
-Casey :)

Also thank you very much Casey.
If I do go ahead and order a sample I'll definitely be contacting you.
How do I do it? Message you through here or call / e-mail ABU themselves?

Sheepies said:
If I'm paying all my bills and have gas / grocery / book money handled what's the problem exactly?

None. For reasons that aren't clear to me, anytime someone is receiving money rather than earning it, there is an immediate jump by many people to assume that the person is misusing the money they receive and an incredibly detailed demand to account for all of it. It might, perhaps, be prudent to save as much money as you possibly can, but that prudence applies just as much to people earning money from their job or their investments. You'll go crazy if you never do anything fun and most grants and scholarships include some amount of money for basic entertainment and pleasure so that you're not required to live entirely on ramen and never go out or socialize with anyone. I had a roommate in college who bought a new television with his scholarship leftovers, it was quite nice and he was a good guy who was also studying hard and was really into classic film.

WBxx said:
I expect most students today have no intent of repaying financial aid. And the way things are going that will likely be the case.

Here anyway, the semester's checks are sent out on the start of the second week of class. Students have to attend class for the first week to receive their checks I think. Anyway, there's always a small subset of students that you don't see ever again. They cash that check and never show up on campus again.

Seeing as student loans are very difficult to escape, I don't know what these kids are thinking. Bankruptcy doesn't even forgive them. But there are still kids that do it, every year. Makes me wonder if they know they don't have a future and just don't care.

bambinod said:
Here anyway, the semester's checks are sent out on the start of the second week of class. Students have to attend class for the first week to receive their checks I think. Anyway, there's always a small subset of students that you don't see ever again. They cash that check and never show up on campus again.

Seeing as student loans are very difficult to escape, I don't know what these kids are thinking. Bankruptcy doesn't even forgive them. But there are still kids that do it, every year. Makes me wonder if they know they don't have a future and just don't care.

It is strange that they sent them out so early... not that I'm complaining. Thanks to that I get to save by not having to pay for expedited shipping on books.

As for taking the money and bailing, now THAT'S a dumb decision. I know someone who did that 2 years ago, and now that she wants to come back to school she has to pay everything out of pocket for her little stunt. She always complains about falling behind and how expensive everything is; but she definitely dug her own grave so I don't really sympathize with her.

- - - Updated - - -

ArchieRoni said:
None. For reasons that aren't clear to me, anytime someone is receiving money rather than earning it, there is an immediate jump by many people to assume that the person is misusing the money they receive and an incredibly detailed demand to account for all of it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back