Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How rich is rich?

Default How rich is rich?

Interesting article on MSN news about this. Check it out.

Just how rich is rich, really? - MSN Money

What do you all think would classify you as rich? I would say atleast $5million-$100million a year.

Interesting...

When I think of rich people I think of mansions and butlers and insufferable accents.

I don't even want to be rich I don't think, just fairly well off. Being sort of middle class and owning a decent sized house, and having enough money to only have trivial money problems, and having enough money to be able to buy the quality free range chicken.
    Which is pretty much my parents situation.

I'm sure why people have such a burning desire to become rich. I don't know what I would do if I had $5million-$100million a year. A large amount of that money would be wasted.
    I guess money = power, but meh.

being rich isn't about how much money you make, it's about how much of it you waste on stupid expensive watches, flashy cars, yacht club membership, plastic surgery, extramarital fuckbuddies, lawn care, ultra-ritzy hair salons, pedicures, and other idiotic status symbols.

basically, if you want everyone to KNOW you're rich, you're already nine tenths of the way there even if you don't have two coins to rub together.

In my onest opinion, those days being rich means having money to buy what isn't strickly essential to your life.
    If a person cannot even buy food, have a place where to rest and find heat, then is poor.
    once those basic needs are satisfied and you have money left, you can consider yourself rich.

You see, the concept of "rich" is relative, you can compare somebody to somebody else and say "he's richer than him" or simply compare the ammount of money you have to the ammount you need.

All of us in western society is rich. There's people around the world who survive on 1 US dollar a day. Even if you're the most destitute person living in the US, you're still better off than many people.

Stephanie, 27, a newcomer to the Women in Red who lives in Chicago, has a combined income with her husband of about $69,000. Like Beth, she doesn't want to be rich, but comfortable. She estimates that amount would be about $180,000 a year, almost triple her current income
    $180 000 a year just to be "comfortable?" What does comfortable mean? A big screen TV in every room? Lots of stuff? Nice cars? Count me out then. I'd be happy with a one room apartment, the basic necessities, and no television.

"That's all your house is: a place to keep your stuff. If you didn't have so much stuff, you wouldn't need a house. You could just walk around all the time."
    -george carlin

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    being rich isn't about how much money you make, it's about how much of it you waste on stupid expensive watches, flashy cars, yacht club membership, plastic surgery, extramarital fuckbuddies, lawn care, ultra-ritzy hair salons, pedicures, and other idiotic status symbols.

basically, if you want everyone to KNOW you're rich, you're already nine tenths of the way there even if you don't have two coins to rub together.
    Living in an area that's officially considered as "highly affluent", I can say that this is definitely the case.

Rich is relative to who your neighbors are.

Everyone in America is rich. The average wage in America- $60,000 a year?- is like x10 higher than the average wage in almost any other non-European country.

However, if some man in a hut in Africa has 5 leopard skins and another only has 2 leopard skins, maybe the first guy is rich. Perhaps he's considered loaded. While by our standards, we'd be like.. WTF?

with $100 million dollars, I would love to have a scaled down size home to model a European Monarch's palace. I just want that much money, mainly to be able to do what I want when ever I want. I want to open up my bills and laugh at them and just pay them the second I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    with $100 million dollars, I would love to have a scaled down size home to model a European Monarch's palace. I just want that much money, mainly to be able to do what I want when ever I want. I want to open up my bills and laugh at them and just pay them the second I get them.
    Of course, you're talking about wants, not needs. But when is enough enough? You hear about rockstars who make millions of dollars, and then end up going bankrupt because they don't know how to manage their money. And then theirs teachers who live their entire lives on a meager salary with any credit problems or anything because they can manage their money. Rich doesn't have a dollar amount. There's no such thing as "too rich" or "too well off", since everyone always wants more.

Ya know, I open my bills and laugh 'em off and pay them the second I get them. I think I made about $2000 last year. But since I spend hardly anything, paying bills for me is easy.

Of course, I don't want or need a lot either.

Rich is definitely relative. Were someone to give me $1,000,000 I would retire and live off the interest I could make on it.