Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper smells on furniture?

Default Diaper smells on furniture?

So, I see a lot of threads asking about not smelling bad when wearing diapers... But nothing about the things you lie down on or sit on when wearing diapers.

It seems that anything that comes in contact with a diaper, ends up getting a "diaper smell". So, if you sleep in diapers, your bed starts to smell--or if you sit on a chair in just a diaper, it will get this smell too.

In order to avoid this, any time I feel like diapering up, I always wear something overtop of it so that it's just a little bit of extra laundry rather than the super-annoying task of washing furniture. But I have a feeling that there is a better way than this.

How do you all deal with the things you sit on? Is it just an accepted thing that happens? Do you just avoid couches or harder-to-wash furniture? Or is there a type of diaper that doesn't have this problem maybe? ^^'

When wearing to bed I have a plastic sheet a put over it, stops any leaks from ruining the mattress and keeps everything smelling nice. For chairs, couches ect, i just throw a big blanket over them

My favourite chair gets a bit smelly now and then but febreeze helps. My wife brought me a pad from work to put in the chair as this can be washed. Our bed is well protected so not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    When wearing to bed I have a plastic sheet a put over it, stops any leaks from ruining the mattress and keeps everything smelling nice. For chairs, couches ect, i just throw a big blanket over them
    This, although I don't sit on any of the living room furniture when I'm wearing and using. I stick mostly to the basement mancave where the furniture is comfy, but also either waterproof or expendable. I've got a window fan arranged so I can clear any smells down there in a matter of minutes.

If it's just the wet nappy being in contact with the furniture but not actually leaking, any smell is probably only noticeable if you get very close to it and will fade away in time. (If you mess, which I don't, then that's probably a different matter...)

If it's actual leaks, that's where more persistent issues could arise, especially in hard or impossible to wash items. To be safe, use waterproof seat pads and mattress covers, they will help prevent any other transfer of diaper smells as well.

MarchinBunny

This is never a problem for me actually. I mean not to a bad extent. As long as you are not leaking, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocChip View Post
    If it's just the wet nappy being in contact with the furniture but not actually leaking, any smell is probably only noticeable if you get very close to it and will fade away in time. (If you mess, which I don't, then that's probably a different matter...)
    That's true for normal humans. However, if you live with a menopausal woman, their sense of smell becomes superhuman for some things, and disappears for others. Ever notice that old lady perfume is usually applied by the quart, yet they can't seem to detect it? Anything else, like a cigarette 7 blocks away, they're all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    What you mean leaks?

If it's actual leaks, that's where more persistent issues could arise, especially in hard or impossible to wash items. To be safe, use waterproof seat pads and mattress covers, they will help prevent any other transfer of diaper smells as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    This is never a problem for me actually. I mean not to a bad extent. As long as you are not leaking, you should be fine.
    Nope, no leaking involved here... Basically, when wet, a diaper will make the things it touches smell. The effect also accumulates and becomes more potent over time.

Honestly, I could put up with it, but there are some things that I don't really want to dirty even if I do. It's also not really the kind of thing I would want to subject guests to either.

So, the idea is to either keep things clean, or keep them easy enough to clean so that my apartment doesn't smell too much like diapers--and I had a few ideas how to do that, but I wanted to see what sort of things ADISC does...

I'm not too big on messing either... This is about what odor a wet diaper leaves behind. It's why even if you just wet, wherever you store dirty diapers might smell like dirty diapers after throwing them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I haven't really covered much, but you know what? I probably should..!

I mostly avoided it initially because blankets are kind of annoying to wash when you live in an apartment. But now that a have more than one, that's less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ST50 View Post
    My favourite chair gets a bit smelly now and then but febreeze helps. My wife brought me a pad from work to put in the chair as this can be washed. Our bed is well protected so not a problem.
    Aye, this is pretty much what I'm considering. I wasn't sure if there was some trick that might have been common knowledge, so I wanted to check before breaking out the Febreeze and cleaning supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    This, although I don't sit on any of the living room furniture when I'm wearing and using. I stick mostly to the basement mancave where the furniture is comfy, but also either waterproof or expendable. I've got a window fan arranged so I can clear any smells down there in a matter of minutes.
    Ah!

I don't really have enough furniture to dedicate some of it like that... But that's a pretty good way to do it, it sounds. ^^

Fabric softener sheets do wonders. Fabreeze is a good addition. But I think the real key is to make sure you are changing often.

Don't let yourself wear a diaper that has been wet a long time and go sitting around on cloth furniture. It certainly absorbs the smell even if you don't leak. That is just the honest truth about most fabrics. They absorb not only moisture, but smells as well.

There is a difference to covering up smells and removing them. Utilizing sprays such as resolve or other cleaners will remove the smell and not just cover it up.

But bottom line, wear a good diaper that isn't going to leak and even plastic pants that will help contain not just leaks but the smell of urine. When wet, change frequently. That is going to be your best bet!

And should you accidentally have leakage, I recommend the accidental spillage of some cologne or perfume. Better to have it covered up then others wondering what is that distinct smell?