Thread: Didnt take good advice

Default Didnt take good advice

A friend and fellow combat vet told me not to watch the movie American Sniper but I did. He was right, it has me all fucked up. I cried thru most of the movie, and i was crying at work too. I've done my best to block out certain things I've seen but the movie brought it all rushing back because its a very accurate movie. I should have listened to my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklebuttt View Post
    A friend and fellow combat vet told me not to watch the movie American Sniper but I did. He was right, it has me all fucked up. I cried thru most of the movie, and i was crying at work too. I've done my best to block out certain things I've seen but the movie brought it all rushing back because its a very accurate movie. I should have listened to my friend.
    I've had movies hit me hard like that, though for a different reason. My wife and I had gone to the movies to see "Girl Interrupted". She thought it was going to be a romance movie, but it was the true story of a girl who's parents but her into a very upscale, mental facility because she had Borderline Personality Disorder. I had a similar experience happen to me when I was in college. I got caught by my mom for being gay, and she sent me to a shrink at a large residential mental health facility outside of Princeton. I wasn't a resident, but I was scared, just not scared straight.

It happened again to me this past TV season when my wife and I were watching American Crime Story on TV, about a kid who gets raped at an off campus party. When I was in college, older, upper class men would get me drunk so they could do whatever to me. Watching what happened to this kid on the TV show made me shake and then cry, yet I had to see it, episode after episode because I so identified with the character and I had to know what happened to him.

When terrible things happen to us in life, there are those weird triggers out there that can bring it all back. I've called it, the brain vomiting it all up. It can be cathartic if you treat it in the right way. I think talking about it to others can help. Once you've told a number of people, it begins to lose its power over you. Just know you've got friends here on this site who have had horrible things happen to them. I've not been in combat, but I have been shot at on the street, and yeah, it blows your mind.