Not open for further replies.

thickdiapers

Loving diapers since 1974!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hello my fellow ADISCers,

I have been thinking for some time about becoming an OTR/long haul truck driver. Are there other drivers on ADISC? I would love to chat about the job and the ins and outs of the day to day work. So far I've found a mixed bag of drivers who love it and hate it. If you drive or drove in the past, it would be awesome to PM back and forth and exchange thoughts.

Thanks,

Brett

Deftleppard is but he isn't on the internet much nowadays

I'm an off and on truck driver. I kind of hate it, because there's really no respect out there for you despite what you do. Whether it's people in cars around you, other truck drivers, or companies themselves, it can get stale once you've seen all the places you haven't seen before.

Companies can care less about you and your family. They'll keep you driving and driving and do whatever they can to keep you on the road, despite anything that's going on at home. The compensation is really not there considering you're away from home for a month. It's an unhealthy lifestyle as well.

The only good things about truck driving is that you can be homeless and have a roof over your head. You can actually start with nothing and make a recovery in your life. It's a way to make better money than most jobs locally.

You just have to learn to put your foot down when you get with these companies. They have a mindset to make money, your dispatcher makes money off of your progress. They'll do what they can to make more money off of you.

The truck driving industry has one of the highest turnover rates, and companies know this. They don't care either. They'll have another company's driver to fill in within a week. This is their attitude as well. Recruiters will lie to make money off of each potential driver that joins.

If you have no experience, stay away from those truck driving schools. It's not necessary to pay $1000s of dollars. Stay away from those companies that say drive within 2 weeks. You will not have enough experience to go on your own. They'll teach you the basics without any kind of real experiences.

I will say stay away from Swift, Knight, CR England, they'll put you on the road and to fend for yourself with another rookie.

If you want the best possible experience without loss of wage during training, better knowledge, better treatment, more professional, train with Prime Inc. They'll get you on a better track to success. They will room you, feed you, and compensate you during your training for a CDL. They'll put you with another driver and get a one on one experience to get your CDL then they'll put you with another trainer for a few months to learn on your own. They have great driver accommodations, I'll just affixed you to stay away from leasing programs until you know the business inside and out. Most are scams or just traps to keep you on the road. If you can, save up and get your own truck. Then you'll be the ultimate boss and be able to make real money.

Being a AB/DL has it's perks with truck driving. It's pretty beneficial as well.

Wow, thanks for all the info! Still definitely on the fence about this. I'll take your suggestion and check out Prime. They seem to have a good reputation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just started driving trucks and am loving it so far the money is good and you will deliver some interesting goods.

- - - Updated - - -

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I'm an off and on truck driver. I kind of hate it, because there's really no respect out there for you despite what you do. Whether it's people in cars around you, other truck drivers, or companies themselves, it can get stale once you've seen all the places you haven't seen before.

Companies can care less about you and your family. They'll keep you driving and driving and do whatever they can to keep you on the road, despite anything that's going on at home. The compensation is really not there considering you're away from home for a month. It's an unhealthy lifestyle as well.

The only good things about truck driving is that you can be homeless and have a roof over your head. You can actually start with nothing and make a recovery in your life. It's a way to make better money than most jobs locally.

You just have to learn to put your foot down when you get with these companies. They have a mindset to make money, your dispatcher makes money off of your progress. They'll do what they can to make more money off of you.

The truck driving industry has one of the highest turnover rates, and companies know this. They don't care either. They'll have another company's driver to fill in within a week. This is their attitude as well. Recruiters will lie to make money off of each potential driver that joins.

If you have no experience, stay away from those truck driving schools. It's not necessary to pay $1000s of dollars. Stay away from those companies that say drive within 2 weeks. You will not have enough experience to go on your own. They'll teach you the basics without any kind of real experiences.

I will say stay away from Swift, Knight, CR England, they'll put you on the road and to fend for yourself with another rookie.

If you want the best possible experience without loss of wage during training, better knowledge, better treatment, more professional, train with Prime Inc. They'll get you on a better track to success. They will room you, feed you, and compensate you during your training for a CDL. They'll put you with another driver and get a one on one experience to get your CDL then they'll put you with another trainer for a few months to learn on your own. They have great driver accommodations, I'll just affixed you to stay away from leasing programs until you know the business inside and out. Most are scams or just traps to keep you on the road. If you can, save up and get your own truck. Then you'll be the ultimate boss and be able to make real money.

Being a AB/DL has it's perks with truck driving. It's pretty beneficial as well.

I am with swift and my trainer is not a rookie at all where do you get these facts from?

Most of their drivers are rookies. I know this because I used to work there. I started with Prime.

In Swift's Memphis TN terminal, the road test you take is literally a mile long split between 3 other people there and back on a five lane road in front of terminal. You take a right out of terminal, go through a couple traffic lights or so, take a left turn into a business park. Stop, change drivers, go around the business Park, after a couple of turns, stop, change drivers, go back to terminal. Road test done for 3 people.

Swift was actually caught giving away licenses.

http://m.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=24665#.V7AHaHQo7qA

They still haven't learned their lesson and are still doing this today.

Swift as a company is scum. Read the history of lawsuits against this company including significantly cutting miles short calling it the shortest distance but proven to be impossible. Look at all of the wrecks this company is involved with by not testing drivers properly. My road test with them was back in '12 after 4 years of not driving. I knew I needed a refresher course. I wasn't comfortable with my backing and wanted to do a short retraining program. Before I asked this they told me I passed, even though it took me forever to back at the time.

When I asked for further training, they wanted me to go on the road but I insisted to train.

Cr England does put two students together after training. Why? Because they pay the duo as a team, 25cpm split. Same with Werner. After becoming a first seat driver then you start paying off your student loan with a % or whatever companies decide to do.

Just like what you will do in the future.

In 2007 as a non licensed nor permit driver, I went to prime inc. I was put in a hotel room. Was given meals everyday. Took classes for a permit. Once I passed my permit test. I was put with a CDL instructor outside of a classroom and in to real live driving, and learning the ropes in the Business. Went through about 4 weeks of one on one training. I took a long course of driving to pass my test. Once I passed my CDL test they sent me with a trainer to drive as a team to gain more experience under a watchful eye for 60,000mi. He would help your backing improve, and get to real situations and learn how to avoid making mistakes. When I was done, I was pretty confident in driving. I was able to be by myself without worrying or being nervous.

A lot of drivers are left to fend for themselves with little to no experience. Look at all the lawyers out there advertising truck lawsuits.

Whoever you do train with, be 100% confident in your driving. If you're not comfortable to be on your own, don't hesitate to express that and request further training. If you see that your trainer isn't doing his job, request another. Just remember you have 80,000lb brick traveling at a high speed. Mountains are potentially dangerous and you'll get to travel through plenty.

Is Hardaway still the Memphis top dog over the dispatchers at swift? The black guy that looks as if he's stuck in the 80s? This guy will lie to your face, with no hesitation. Then he will say it's your fault for not getting miles while sitting for days at a truck stop after a disagreement or argument on how your pay doesn't add up. Then for laughs, will keep you away from home during Christmas after promising he will have you home. His whole staff worked this way. If you accept the fact that he is the boss and decides if you make money or not based on how much you kiss his ass by leaving home after 34hr restart after a month on road to cover for bad drivers who don't make appointments. He will make sure you suffer.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Is Hardaway still the Memphis top dog over the dispatchers at swift? The black guy that looks as if he's stuck in the 80s? This guy will lie to your face, with no hesitation. Then he will say it's your fault for not getting miles while sitting for days at a truck stop after a disagreement or argument on how your pay doesn't add up. Then for laughs, will keep you away from home during Christmas after promising he will have you home. His whole staff worked this way. If you accept the fact that he is the boss and decides if you make money or not based on how much you kiss his ass by leaving home after 34hr restart after a month on road to cover for bad drivers who don't make appointments. He will make sure you suffer.

I'm not sure I'm not outta Memphis

Just do yourself a favor and find a better company when you can. There's so many better paying companies, with better benefits. If you can purchase a truck on your own, that would be the absolute best choice. Please stay away from those leasing scams.

Lilmssammietx said:
I just started driving trucks and am loving it so far the money is good and you will deliver some interesting goods.

- - - Updated - - -

I am with swift and my trainer is not a rookie at all where do you get these facts from?
When I drove for Swift as a trainee I had to teach my trainer how to drive a manual properly the the guy could never figure out what gear he needed to put his truck in he always jacked up on trying to double clutch I had to teach the guy how to float gears in a truck it's not bad now Swift went to a solid automatic Fleet I think CR England did as well currently I drive for Roadrunner Transportation in one of their smaller reefer divisions M Bruenger I average anywhere between 3000 to 5000 week it's not bad but it does take its toll on you you run with your mega companies in about a year you'll be hating the job and wishing you never started if you go with swift stay away from their lease purchase it's nothing but a scam they have a 90% turn around rate and three out of every four drivers default on their trucks within the first year the same goes with Celadon and quality qualities a good lease if you want to get a truck just don't run quality with eagle Celadon or Osborn currently I have a truck through quality and I'm running for Roadrunner if you want to drive as a company driver I would recommend Celadon they're a good starter company you will have free CDL training and all of their trucks are top-notch as far as equipment all of their company trucks have Apu, inverters, you don't need to idle and cuz they'll start and stop automatically and you get your choice between automatic and manual they don't force you into what they want I will say though just stay away from the quality lease if you run Celadon I made that mistake while I was working for Celadon I went 3 months without pay once I hit the 90-day mark on my lease contract because quality is third-party I applied to Roadrunner and I took my truck with me

d0808e0cbccfc50abf34c1788a1dab68.jpg

3e28acdf702c05ca68ddaa59d5a8c0b2.jpg

Besides not many companies let you bring cute and cuddly Pitbull on the truck he's my baby

Those companies did put the hate in me for driving trucks. I can't seem to stay in a company longer than months. Those companies make you feel less than human and expect you to enjoy it and withstand it. I believe if I did have my own truck, it would change my outlook in a career in driving.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Those companies did put the hate in me for driving trucks. I can't seem to stay in a company longer than months. Those companies make you feel less than human and expect you to enjoy it and withstand it. I believe if I did have my own truck, it would change my outlook in a career in driving.
I'mma tell you a secret the more you switch companies the least desirable of the driver you are the worst the companies are going to treat you the worse your reputation and you'll never get another driving job the company I am at Roadrunner they look for minimum one year experience and no more than 3 driving jobs within the last 5 years just tough it out stick with a company get your one year in and then start looking but the first year at any company I don't care who it is it's going to be hell the dispatchers have to push you to your limits to find out where your breaking points are what they can get away with and if you quit on them it leaves a bad mark on your record you will never get another job a lot of people like to candy coat it but the way I see it it's only going to hurt you in the end I'd rather you know up front just stick it out tough it out get a year to experience and then find a smaller company within your local area you will be much happier if you can check out quality company lease and if you have one year of experience try Roadrunner I have a lease truck through quality at one of their most expensive rates working for Roadrunner in the reefer division and I average between $3,000 and $5,000 gross every week what your personal expenses are after that is what's going to determine what your take home net pay will be and if you ever have to leave a company leave on a good note don't piss them off don't burn your Bridges and if you talk to a new recruiter if they ask you why you leave just say something along the lines of they were a good company they just were not a fit for me and make sure you discuss with the recruiter what your needs are and what your wants are that's where ninety percent of people make a mistake good luck out there

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
If you work for Swift call the planners directly you will not make any money if you rely on your DM get involved and call the planners the Swift engage app under Mac 9 or maybe it's Mac 34 option has a little button that says request plantar info for origin or destination click destination make sure you call the planner 24 to 48 hours ahead of time tell them your truck number what your ETA is what your PTA is tell them a general direction you want to go or an amount of miles you want and they will have something for you before you even touch down it's the only way you're going to stay running with Swift get involved call your planners bypassed your DM as much as possible if you have to deal with a DM wait till after hours and call Phoenix they're really good about getting s*** done

w0lfpack91 said:
3e28acdf702c05ca68ddaa59d5a8c0b2.jpg

Besides not many companies let you bring cute and cuddly Pitbull on the truck he's my baby

Awww, what a cutie!!

I would imagine if you are driving a company tractor, you have a lot of rules. If you have your own tractor, can companies say whether you can have a pet, or another passenger with you?

thickdiapers said:
Awww, what a cutie!!

I would imagine if you are driving a company tractor, you have a lot of rules. If you have your own tractor, can companies say whether you can have a pet, or another passenger with you?
Depends on how their insurance is set up and how your insurance is set up I hold my own insurance for the tractor itself I do not have company insurance I have company plates but not insurance so they can't say two shits about who I have on my truck so long as my personal insurance coverage that person just like a lot of companies are going to tell you it's illegal to take a gun on board a truck widgets not according to the FMCSA handgun laws on Interstate travel clearly states guns are only prohibited in commercial vehicles if the company who has authority over the vehicle says it's not allowed I have my own authority over my own truck I keep my 9 millimeter in my toolbox the key is though you have to research every state you go into as per concealed carry laws open carry laws and vehicle transport laws it's a pain in the ass but I have a lot of goods into very questionable areas on a regular basis including Hazmat so I keep my 9 millimeter on me for protection and my concealed carry license is recognized in 44 of the 48 Continental States so I just stay away from the states it's not valid in or I passed through them very quick but I never stick around

I've been driving if and on since '07 I've started with Prime and made a huge mistake by leasing through them, however the training is to notch composted to what I've seen out there.

Then in '12 I joined swift and had a nightmare experience.

In '13 I joined Arnold Transportation and they didn't have work for any drivers but they had lots of them. I stick with them for a while but I've never made anything over 1200mi per week until I went to a seasonal walmart gig I made great money. Then it ended and had two consecutive weeks of sub 1000 miles and left.

In '15 I tried JB Hunt and it was beget than my past experiences. Their electronics however determined your career. I had a few close calls with people cutting me off that got picked up by the computer and they considered me as a bad driver even though I've never gotten in a wreck or bumped anyone or anything in my career.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I've been driving if and on since '07 I've started with Prime and made a huge mistake by leasing through them, however the training is to notch composted to what I've seen out there.

Then in '12 I joined swift and had a nightmare experience.

In '13 I joined Arnold Transportation and they didn't have work for any drivers but they had lots of them. I stick with them for a while but I've never made anything over 1200mi per week until I went to a seasonal walmart gig I made great money. Then it ended and had two consecutive weeks of sub 1000 miles and left.

In '15 I tried JB Hunt and it was beget than my past experiences. Their electronics however determined your career. I had a few close calls with people cutting me off that got picked up by the computer and they considered me as a bad driver even though I've never gotten in a wreck or bumped anyone or anything in my career.
I started in 2007 at 16 with my grandfather running between Phoenix and Yuma 7 or 8 times a night (heavily illegal he had an old 1992 KW w900 with an 18 speed suckered could run 114 wide open) then at 18 I got my CDL and ran it legally untill he passed and I moved to ky when I was 21 at 24 I went back out with swift. Because all my driving experiance was independent and unverifiable I had to start fresh with a trainer ran them for a while then went to celadon where I got my truck

313642fa826fcc5446bcc511b4055f53.jpg

After three months of no pay I switched the truck to roadrunner and got in with M Bruenger which is one of their smaller more dedicated reefer divisions

c53471d2e0670dd6986c6ba30b5ad0c6.jpg

I'm going to stick with bruenger for the next 6 years untill the truck is paid off then go to either landstar or mercer.

Western Stars look nice, I've only got to drive freightshakers and international and a small time driving a Pete that was on its last legs.

I forget to mention that the JB Hunt trucks are extra small in the single sleeper section. It was literally seat, 4 inches of space, then bed with no under bunk storage and useless shelves overhead that held nothing because it was too small. My case of diapers sat on my bed during driving and day in front seat during off time. I literally had no room for anything. I could only close the windshield curtains to change clothes and such. No room for mini fridge, no flat surface to eat off of. I hated their trucks.

JB Hunt has low compensation, low accommodations, and require a high work ethic to make money. The miles were great but ugh.

dc41f865446472da888e26105e372560.jpg

My solution to no space lol

b362d9d01ff5b997955b24b658cb0930.jpg

76bd0fbfc88ab16875897aa176c4701b.jpg

23a1eae0cee39d589223a897f1f46f7c.jpg

64cf9bc0851aba53e71474b6a27516eb.jpg

7e7d8d71aebc216a023801d4d4dd0da1.jpg

15858cc72bf76f9f0071ac53bb426318.jpg

66f0d7814c37bd38bc5a82716a1252bd.jpg

80c10dfb51d9d8317fbb659643384614.jpg

c4e52ec09717bac6d3334961a9693c9c.jpg

672153e9a6713f4274042bf8961f3338.jpg

fee05f37bcc00885de9303a7999fd915.jpg

f442655aa907488435b5af1753ad7c87.jpg

d7dbe25222f3e245511f9e2e56f75fbd.jpg

There's a few pictures of the interior if you ever wondered what these new trucks look like c.r.england I know has a bunch of them and a few other companies but this model of Western Star is called the 5700 XE it's the same model as the new Optimus Prime from Transformers Age of Extinction and 2016 which is what this one is is the first year in production if you look at all the cabinets you see they look like wood at because they are all the cabinets in this truck are solid wood and that diamond stitching at the back in red is actual leather the truck is really really nice any even for Western Star this is one of their most bare-bones basic trucks they get much nicer than this but other than the updated looks in the nicer interior it's just a Freightliner Cascadia but at least I have my 10 speed oh yeah and PS some of the pictures I posted we're taking the day I got the truck a couple months back in March because as you can see months of being on the road now it's a complete f****** pigsty

706edfe29dbbf87523c6f8ad206fd995.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back