Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Olympic notes.

Default More Olympic notes.

In off topic because I don't intend to put anything controversial here. Of course one never knows how people will take things.....

1. There's a U.S. diver by the name of Steele Johnson. Really. I swear.

2. Over in the mature topics Olympic thread, I mentioned a crash in the women's cycling road race. The woman shown in the clip was leading at the time, with less than 10 miles to go. It's hidden because its horrifying, although last I heard, she's going to be OK.

Amateur video, so some dead space. Click in about 1:30 if you have a short attention span.

American Mara Abbott was in 2nd (eventually finished 4th) a few seconds behind, and apparently passed while the camera was focused on Annemiek.

3. I'm excited for the start of Men's Rugby 7's in an hour or so. If you're not familiar with the game, its worth a look. 7 men on a side, 7 minute halves, full-size pitch. Non-stop action, insanely fast-paced. Rooting for the U.S. of course, although they're unlikely to medal. Doesn't matter, its still a fun game.

wrong types of asphalt and tyres for the climate/conditions.
    not as yucky as that gymnast's leg, though (oh, the jokes we've made over the airwaves )

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    wrong types of asphalt and tyres for the climate/conditions.
    not as yucky as that gymnast's leg, though (oh, the jokes we've made over the airwaves )
    Missed that one. Probably just as well. Never got into gymnastics, even though my sister was pretty good.

As for tires and asphalt, at that speed, there's no margin for error. It's not really apparent from the video how fast that downhill was. There were points where official video coverage was lost because the motorbikes didn't dare try to keep up. Add wet brakes..... Also consider the 100 or so kilometers of flat and the climbs that preceded. She's not in first at that point with appropriate tires for the descent. I consider it something of a sadistic choice of course by the organizers, but hey, that's cycling.

My wife and I were watching the U. S. girl gymnasts win gold. They are incredible!

Japan beat the All Blacks in rugby? Japan!!??!? That's my wtf moment of the games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    My wife and I were watching the U. S. girl gymnasts win gold. They are incredible!
    I don't get the scoring, but it sure is amazing. More enjoyable than usual this year since there are a couple U.S. gymnasts who actually look like women, as opposed to 10 year old girls or..... something else.

Edit: and please don't go off on me for judging by appearance. That's what the whole sport is about isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

A couple notable moments from yesterday....

1. Japan in the rugby semifinals, New Zealand NOT. Comparing notes with Junior, I guess Japan has been improving over the last couple years while we were busy with other things. Watching them play, it was no fluke. They are that good. Go Japan!

The U.S. team did about as they should have. There's always the chance Carlin Isles can break any game open if the tiny god of Luck smiles and gives him the ball with a little space, but otherwise U.S. ball handling and defense aren't that good.

The thing that has really struck in this tournament is the lack of scoring. Maybe seven's is maturing as a discipline, or maybe its just the level of competition and high stakes. On its face, a huge field with so few guys on it would seem to lend itself to lots of scoring and last-guy-to-touch-the-ball-wins, as it has in past tournaments I've seen.

2. A round of applause for Kristin Armstrong. 3rd straight time trial gold. Being involved in cycling, I knew she'd been around for awhile, but time kinda snuck up on me. She turns 43 today. The talking heads were all agog over that, oldest medalist since some archer in 1904.... and she's a mom. So trite and predictable. Me? Being an old guy, I always have to root for the old guy...er, gal.

Yes, there was some controversy over her selection to the team, some arguing that others had better performances in qualifiers, etc. I guess results speak for themselves.

Athletic editorial rant: Not that 43 is old. Those of us involved in endurance sports know that you don't even hit your peak until your 30's, and performance doesn't really start to drop off until mid-40's. My times stayed pretty flat until I needed bifocals at age 46 (like almost everyone I know...) IMHO, its dodging injuries over 100's of thousands of training and racing miles that's the real issue, rather than the inevitable decline mandated by Father Time. All those crashes take a cumulative toll.

As for childbirth, in my limited experience with elite female athletes, every one of them got significantly better after having a child (or two....). Something to do with the massive hormone changes in pregnancy and childbirth? Maybe. Psychological? Perhaps when compared to childbirth, going to your physical limits in competition doesn't seem as hard. "Pain, what pain?" Asking them about it, they weren't sure. They also brought up time management and sense of urgency. When you've got a child, free time disappears and every moment counts.

Or it could simply be that reproduction should happen in your 20's for best results, so by the time a female athlete hits her peak in her 30's, she's probably had a kid if she had any intentions of doing so.

Oh, and an Item 3. Maya Dirado, last minute coach's substitution in the 4x200 free relay. Maybe somebody else was a little off, maybe she showed the hot hand and some closing speed in her races? Whatever the reason, the U.S. team got gold as expected and she gets to go home with a complete set of medals. Gold, silver, bronze. I don't know if anyone else thinks that's cool, but I do. Almost cooler than 3 golds....

At the risk of being sexist (you expect that from me, right?), I think she's quite the cutie, aside from the awesome athletic skills. Yeah, she's married, as am I, but she is of legal age. Its OK if I lust from afar, isn't it?
    Last edited by Maxx; 11-Aug-2016 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    2. Over in the mature topics Olympic thread, I mentioned a crash in the women's cycling road race. The woman shown in the clip was leading at the time, with less than 10 miles to go. It's hidden because its horrifying, although last I heard, she's going to be OK.

Amateur video, so some dead space. Click in about 1:30 if you have a short attention span.

American Mara Abbott was in 2nd (eventually finished 4th) a few seconds behind, and apparently passed while the camera was focused on Annemiek
    As a cyclist, that kind of crash terrifies me. I ride for fun and exercise, and at least for now, I don't race because I am afraid of this kind of stuff.

While I understand that the overall course is huge, I am surprised that it took so long for medical attention to arrive. Not saying that they did anything wrong or should have been there sooner, just surprised, especially with the number of vehicles that just drove by.

Quote Originally Posted by zaps View Post
    As a cyclist, that kind of crash terrifies me. I ride for fun and exercise, and at least for now, I don't race because I am afraid of this kind of stuff.

While I understand that the overall course is huge, I am surprised that it took so long for medical attention to arrive. Not saying that they did anything wrong or should have been there sooner, just surprised, especially with the number of vehicles that just drove by.
    Consider where it happened. You can't just park an ambulance on a blind turn knowing that another hundred or so cyclists are going to come flying through there in another minute or so. To your point though, they probably should have had a medical team stationed there on foot knowing what happened in the men's race the day before.

I agree with you Maxx about our female gymnasts being more muscular, and less little girl like. The Washington Post said the same so I wouldn't feel like it's a sexist statement. It's simply a statement of fact.

I watched both the men's and women's cycle races, something which I found interesting and yes, it seemed like a long time before the ambulance arrived. He certainly hit hard. Didn't you find the loose water bottle on the cobble stone section crazy?

Canada's putting in a pretty mediocre performance so far, with six medals, only one gold as of right now. So far, most of the medals have come in the swimming events. So far, the Canadian women have won all the medals for our country, putting the men to shame. Still, it's early days, I suppose.