Thread: Advice on child abuse?

Default Advice on child abuse?

My niece (16) is coming to live with me for a while because of emotional and physical abuse at home. I would really like to do more than just provide a safe place to stay. I'd love to adopt her... but it isn't really an option with my current financial situation...

The police are already involved but she doesn't want to separate from her parents or call CPS.

Those of you with experience on the subject, do you know anything I can do or say to make her feel better? Numbers to call? etc

If the police is involved then CPS is already included.

Talk to CPS about help, but be careful with them they are two faced as they come.

Psychological help is also a good option.

Big brother/Big sister is another great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    If the police is involved then CPS is already included.

Talk to CPS about help, but be careful with them they are two faced as they come.

Psychological help is also a good option.

Big brother/Big sister is another great resource.
    I think I'll skip talking directly to CPS. I already know that's the last thing she wants.
    Poor kid doesn't need any more trauma.

She's definitely not a talker for therapy either, but it won't hurt to ask. And I have no idea what this Big Brother Big Sister thing is but I'll look into it.
    Thanks!

Still looking for more ways to comfort her so don't end the responses there guys!

We adopted my wife's nephew when he was 12. We went through the court system and made sure everything was legal. There are things to consider. If your niece is living with you, you need to have some sort of legal authorization to take her to a doctor or hospital if she becomes sick or injured. School is another issue because she will have to attend the school where she is physically living, and you will need to have some sort of authorization as her guardian. I believe you will need to have a document from her parents giving you certain authorities to be her legal guardian.