AngelicaPickles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Invest in Adult diapers

I don't think its that big a market to get rich in honestly.

Yeah .-. About like maybe 13-17% of the population is into the stuff we are but you won't make much investing in that.

I mean incontinence briefs and underwear has too many regulations, they aren't interested in either thicker or crinklier. Basically any proposal that doesn't decrease cost, pad thickness, or doesn't make the product quieter is going to be ignored (or laughed at( by the major players in the US. The aging incontinent population being the big group you need to target is not interested in diapers that look like diapers, so if you found a company interested in the advancement of making something more like baby diapers, you lose most of this group right away (like 90%). I'm a bit curious about what numbers you looked at that made you state this, do you know of some pad advancement that could possibly be worth significant money as a patent? something to make it look more like underwear and less likely to share odors... these are possibly things worth investing in.

I have wondered if it was worth buying some diapers and storing them for 30+ years. Some of the oldest pampers sell sporadically for over $100 on eBay. Probably better off buying gold or bonds?

InTheBackground said:
I have wondered if it was worth buying some diapers and storing them for 30+ years. Some of the oldest pampers sell sporadically for over $100 on eBay. Probably better off buying gold or bonds?
If you can gold is a way better asset, that doesn't detiriorate, also unlike diapers it isn't a small minority of people who want gold, vintage diapers have an even smaller market then vintage toys or comic books,

From a stock market perspective I'd honestly say that's a terrible investment. Typically to see a decent return on something you either want to buy into something that's growing or is at least volatile, or short something that's overvalued right before it fails. Diapers are likely neither. There's no reason to expect a sudden boom or sink in demand.

From a business perspective I'd echo what everyone else has said. You're not going to be able to compete with the big guys for the main markets (babies, seniors, hospitals, etc), and the niche "enthusiast" market is tiny, start up costs are high, and there's already plenty of companies in the market. There's no reason to think it's a sure path to riches.. you'd be lucky to make it to survival.

InTheBackground said:
Probably better off buying gold or bonds?

If you're actually serious, I'd recommend either buying index backed ETFs and maintaining some kind of allocation based on your risk tolerance, or buying into an index based mutual fund with a low management fee (dunno what there is in the US, but in Canada I like tangerine's funds for this. You're still losing money to management and you're better off getting an account with quest trade and doing your own balancing, but if you want something that you can just dump money into and be doing the right thing, it's decent).

Gold if you time it right can be profitable. Bonds are fine as a hedge against volatility (I keep a small percentage of my portfolio in bonds and plan to grow it as I get closer to retirement) but you're (probably) not going to get any real return off them.

If you'd invested in the old Goodnites you'd be getting rich on eBay. Those vintage packs sell for easily 10x the retail price.

The cost of storage for a bulky item is non-trivial over time. I don't expect to be making much money off my stash.

Prairie said:
If you'd invested in the old Goodnites you'd be getting rich on eBay. Those vintage packs sell for easily 10x the retail price.

Depends on how long you had to sit on them (pun sorta intended).

I mean if you buy them then sell them 10 years later for 10x profit, sure. If you buy them and sell them 30 years later, you'd probably have made out better investing the money traditionally and letting it compound over time, especially when you factor in inflation, storage costs, selling costs, etc. Not to mention you have to really get lucky in the "buy something and hope it becomes a collectable" game... most of the time you end up with something that gets 50c at a yard sale _if_ the right person walks by.

A few questions the original poster may want to ask...

"How many Adults in person do I know that wear diapers?" "Did I have to seek them out?" "What percentage of the overall do they make up out of all the people I know?" "Of the people I know, do they have a choice in the mater?" "If they could avoid wearing, would they?" "Would this new product be something all of these people would appreciate?"

Changing a few words can help with beginning considerations of a financial investment in a new product.

Well, if you are in the US, and had a lot of money to invest, I think there are some opportunities in manufacturing diapers. There are still some things that US producers haven't done:

* Until recently, the US didn't have any domestically produced premium diapers. Now with Dry 24/7, we do, but I think there's room for more

* I think there is a market for a more eco-friendly disposable adult diaper that is similar to Seventh Generation, Bambo Nature, Earth's Best, etc. Something with non bleached wood pulp and a compostable backsheet.

* Contract manufacturing could definitely come here. There are more and more imported ABDL and other specialty diapers (ABU, Bambino, etc) that command a price tag high enough that they could be made here.

Except for Tranquility and Dry 24/7, the US producers are only a few large corporations that focus on the lower end of the market. If a group of open minded investors could invest in a diaper manufacturing line and be open to new ideas, they could do well.

If you want to make a million dollars, but a Ford Cobra or a Camero Z 28 and keep it for 30 years. A 1970 convertible Hemi-Cuda goes for more than a million now.

dogboy said:
If you want to make a million dollars, but a Ford Cobra or a Camero Z 28 and keep it for 30 years. A 1970 convertible Hemi-Cuda goes for more than a million now.

I'm getting into my time machine now...

BabyDenise said:
I'm getting into my time machine now...

Wait for me ;-;

dogboy said:

Something is valuable today because
A) "I had one when I was young / a kid"
B) damaged/destroyed when used or by any normal use
C) easily available when in production (and often very cheap)
D) can't get it today (excluding replicas)
E) nobody was collecting/hoarding them when they were available

Stamps, postcards, dolls, comic books, baseball cards, even pullups, all meet these basic criteria.
Even cars can pass (C) as a lot of people got their first car as a 16th birthday gift or were able to buy used-but-good on the cheap

IMHO the "time for things to become collectable" has passed. Too many people have seen this pattern, and so (E) is no longer possible. Anything that looks like it might be collectable in the future, (and certainly anything marketed as "collectable") never will be worth anything substantial down the road.

The only things that will be even remotely collectable in the future are things that are truly limited edition. And I don't mean like "hallmark's limited edition christmas plate" that they sell a new one every year, I mean things that are only available once, ever, and nothing like them ever again. And even then, the things that are marketed as limited edition and have potential will all be kept in very good condition. So a lot more will survive and be in much better condition down the road, lowering their individual value.

Diapers are an interesting take on "collectability" since the people that buy them may use them, thus dropping the number in circulation and raising the value of what remains. It's like a rare cigar or vintage wine that way.

dogboy said:
That is simple, they actually produced only 12 of those, they know where 11 of them are,including the one Don Johnson drove in that cop show, they donated the car and hail barge to San Francisco and it's parked on display, but there is one car missing never registered never wrecked it's in a barn somewhere and it's worth a fortune, the Holy grail cars are triple black (t9) chargers and the boss 302 mustangs in raven black , they only made like 80 in raven black, there are tribute cars out there that are done to look like the real thing but the VIN tells the tail, kinda like anything Hemi from the 60's , there are more fakes than the factory ever produced.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'm interested on how dogboy actual advice and discussion about cars [emoji14]

Okay if we want to use how much a stuff is worth in ebay. It actually WHAT the seller want. Not representing actual value of it. I see what you mean by that diaper is not a something that people kept. But hardly how many of us want to collect a diaper and not using it (If you use it and the value is gone).

And if the thread starter actually meant of creating a diaper industry. My questions would be. Adult diaper market isn't big and the niche are already filled. And even the abdl ones. With most of them are made in Far East. And I'm pretty sure that creating one in US/EUR will create huge capital. And like I said. There are so many of them that is hard to compete.

I've got an all band all mode spark to space Radio, that was sold up in til three years ago, as an option you could put the radio under your seat or in the trunk and use the remote head, when it was sold the remote head kit was $99 , today with the remote head kit discontinued and the popularity of the Radio still soaring, I sold a spare Remote head kit to a guy in Europe for $400 + shipping, because they are painfully hard to find , so much so that you can't even find them on ebay, people put up WTB ads and wait 7 or 8 months for someone that has one to sell it to them, so the guy I sold one of mine to thought Christmas came early because I saw his ad only a month after he posted it , the entire Radio brand new was only $1800, its all fiction based on how many are out there, as in millions of the radio, and only thousands of remote kits, mostly used because you burned up the rig and are just reselling still usefull parts, in my case the kit was sealed original from the factory, and I still have a couple in the closet spare, supply and demand can make people crazy , being in a position to capitalize on the demand is not something I'm used to doing.

I just have a hard time figuring out the diaper Market it seems to me it's kinda like scratch off lottery tickets can't figure them out either.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back