voiding different...but more comfortable, at least i found the correct diaper! Life with head trauma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddlepuppy

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Wow life has been caught up for sure finally getting used to diapers yet I had the worst seizure, voided about 6 times since 4 am, half of those without realizing i was...i used to void so little. My doctor knows all this. Just curious, how often do you get the urge vs. Just let go without even knowing. Still pretty stressed as this all started by waking up to a way to heavy tranquility atn, and it did not make it ATN! This is an improvement compared to months prior when i would wake up in my own bm's in the beginning and literally wanted a medic i freaked out so badly!

- - - Updated - - -

If your ic or 24 7 wearer, how many diapers in a day? Insurance will cover mine in up coming months here soon because my bed has had about three soaks and although my diapers work better these days because of my better quality funding, lol, i need some thick pads underneath too, dont know enough about the best products either!

Last edited:
It is always difficult to find the right product, but basically you get what you pay for. I don't get susidized or free supplies so use a medium grade diaper in the daytime unless I know I am going to be out a long time and won't easily be able to change. I have days when 2 diapers will cope fine, but others where I need to change more often because of much increased output or a bowel motion.i

At night I want the best sleep I can get and wear a maxi grade diaper. I don't like plastic pants so it is important that my pad holds everything thrown at it well. A few days ago I was woken by a uncontrollable bowel movement that was already underway. With this and overnight pee my diaper was so probably the heaviest I have ever had. The reason for recounting this rather unpleasant experience is not to sat "Mine is bigger than yours", but to admit to amazement that nothing had leaked and the bedding was unmarked. I do wear boxer briefs over my diaper and think they do help by holding things in place.

The other thing I know to my cost is that even the best of products will perform badly if it is not put on carefully, or unfastened and refastened too often. If you use disposable under pads and move around a lot be sore to get the 60X90 cm. ones as the smaller square ones somehow seem to be in the wrong place when you need them most.

I wear ATN and change five times a day with overnights in a cloth super night weight with bloomers, and on a bed pad which occasionally gets wet, I too have a brain injury as well as epilepsy , you just can't predict what's gonna happen , I tend to over prepare rather than be under protected I wear three boosters in my night diaper because I have some sleep disorders also, so I can not sleep day or night for a week and then I will sometimes sleep 14 + continously and normal diapers don't handle 14+ hours, so I over diaper to have plenty of capacity for those times that sneak up on yeah. I get most of my bed pads from Jenny at kin's and also have a rubber sheet on my mattress with a heavy weight cotton sheet that has a waterproof membrane inside it , I have a medical grade "foam" mattress with bumpers to help keep me in bed when I seize as well as padded side rails this giant sheet keeps it all dry ( these foam mattresses don't handle urine well, they will stink to high heaven if wet) so the mattress gets a diaper as well as I do , so there is no accident that the bed will not survive. It's a complex rehab bed so it's basicly a giant crib that can be raised to provide care or dropped like a low rider to the floor so there is less chance of getting hurt if I come out of the bed during a seizure , it also allows me to do uphill/downhill transfers in /out of my wheelchair. Don't get disposable bed pads they suck and bunch up under you and get annoying . My insurance gets me three cases of diapers a month, I often give away the extras when I get to many around.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

voiding and comfort

I use about 5 adult diapers per day. I am UI and don't toilet much at all. I typically mess myself while sleeping. I have voiding control while awake most of the time. Occasionally I can get to a bathroom and remove the diaper to use the toilet. Sometimes I wake up with a full diaper in the middle of the night. I did about an hour ago. I changed and cleaned up. Sometimes if I shit a little during the day I just wear it for the day. When you shit only a little, it's much less smelly and can be hidden.

Buy a cloth changing pad to sit on and to sleep on. Plasticized sheets are very hot and I have trouble falling alseep on them. When I sleep over at someone's house, they use these plastic sheets and I have to take a sleeping to sleep.

Tetra said:
I wear ATN and change five times a day with overnights in a cloth super night weight with bloomers, and on a bed pad which occasionally gets wet, I too have a brain injury as well as epilepsy , you just can't predict what's gonna happen , I tend to over prepare rather than be under protected I wear three boosters in my night diaper because I have some sleep disorders also, so I can not sleep day or night for a week and then I will sometimes sleep 14 + continously and normal diapers don't handle 14+ hours, so I over diaper to have plenty of capacity for those times that sneak up on yeah. I get most of my bed pads from Jenny at kin's and also have a rubber sheet on my mattress with a heavy weight cotton sheet that has a waterproof membrane inside it , I have a medical grade "foam" mattress with bumpers to help keep me in bed when I seize as well as padded side rails this giant sheet keeps it all dry ( these foam mattresses don't handle urine well, they will stink to high heaven if wet) so the mattress gets a diaper as well as I do , so there is no accident that the bed will not survive. It's a complex rehab bed so it's basicly a giant crib that can be raised to provide care or dropped like a low rider to the floor so there is less chance of getting hurt if I come out of the bed during a seizure , it also allows me to do uphill/downhill transfers in /out of my wheelchair. Don't get disposable bed pads they suck and bunch up under you and get annoying . My insurance gets me three cases of diapers a month, I often give away the extras when I get to many around.

I have switched to cloth diapers and plastic pants most of the time, but I have used tena or atn's sometimes during the day if I will be away from home. I also use a 33" x 27" waterproof changing pad on my bed for protection and changing. Usually change 3 times during the day.

I've had urge incontinence for many years. However, in the past 6 months or so, I've also begun to experience instances where I void without realizing I'm goping to do so until it happens, that is without the usual urge experience. My doctor thinks this is the result of spinal stenosis caused by spinal degeneration associated with my mom osteoarthritis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back