Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Nature.

Default Human Nature.

Please respond succinctly, and for the most part definitively.

humans are mean or kind? Hindering or Helping, Selfless or Selfish?

I understand that you may not feel 100% either way, but please give a definitive answer based on the majority of the way you feel

Please base your answers SOLELY on your own experiences.

Also even though some may say that helping others and being selfless or kind, ultimately is self serving, for the sake of this post please do not include that in your answers.

thank you for taking the time to answer!
    Last edited by MommyandMattling; 05-Aug-2016 at 13:09.

Humans are capable of anything, be it kind or unkind. There is no definitive answer because there is no default human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post

Also even though some may say that helping others and being selfless or kind, ultimately is self serving, for the sake of this post please do not include that in your answers.

Succinctly and for the most part definitively, based on my own experiences (but also from reading history and watching the news...)

Humans are mean or kind, hindering or helping, selfless or selfish.

Maybe I'm just weird but in an average day I can chalk up being ALL of those things in multiple ways big or small.

thank you for your replies, I agree with what you are both saying that humans in general are capable of both, and therefor its tempting to give an in between answer.

If pressed though, and again taking into account that obviously humans are not 100% of anything, which would you say the majority of your experiences have been?

Also if you are unable to give a DEFINITIVE answer, please refrain from posting.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post

I understand that you may not feel 100% either way, but please give a definitive answer based on the majority of the way you feel

It's not definitely, for me personally depends on each individual, basically human trying to be kind, but egoism instinct make people think to be the best, and ultimately leads to selfish mind and evil.

AEther*

I think that is going to come down to the attitude of the person. If a person is generally positive then they would say they have more positive experiences regardless of how much positive or negative experiences they have had. Personally I am a very positive person so I would claim to have more positive experiences wether thats true or not is subject to my own biases.

thank you for that lovely answer, that is exactly the type of answer I am looking for.

its OK to be subjective!

Whilst most if not all people are generally self serving in their actions, I believe that ultimately there is an innate goodness in people, which is most evident in a crisis.

- - - Updated - - -

Experience and environment, however, determine a persons attitudes.

Humans are like unpainted masks to me, for each hold the potential to become great. Sometimes one might appear to be friendly, yet conceal darker intentions, whereas a weathered face may hold only the desire to mend and aid. I often look beyond one's outer shell to the soul within, in hopes of seeking a compatible ping, it is only then that I may truly be able to trust a fellow human being.

Or in non-dreamer talk: Don't judge a book by it's cover, get a better understanding before obtaining a stance, yet even then, let it never be finalized for like the sands of time, people's intentions, desires, and motives ever shift.

I believe, inherently, that humanity is based in kindness. I think what matters most is that we see the capacity for goodness in each person and that we strive to help each person reach their potential to participate fully in society.. As individuals, we each have obstacles or barriers that require our immediate attention to focus on personal, sefish needs to varying degrees. A person with unlimited finances, for example, may have a greater opportunity to do good than a person living a life of poverty or struggling with addictions. It doesn't mean the latter person has less capacity to do good in this world, only that they are consumed with their own immediate needs of survival and overcoming adversity.

Marlow's Hierarchy of Needs demonstrates how we must satisfy our most basic needs before we reach self-actualization: the need for food and shelter, security, a sense of belonging and esteem, all of these are basic necessities in our lives before we can look outward to helping others.

The question should not be whether or not people are good, but rather how we help each person in our society to reach their full potential and sense of altruism. It's a matter of seeking out and finding the good in each individual, and loving the ones who sometimes can't even love themselves. Our society can be better measured not by determining whether people are good or mean, but rather, how we demonstrate the capacity to see the good in each person.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 05-Aug-2016 at 16:44.