Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless

Default Useless

My therapist gave up on me,

I can't say that I'm altogether surprised. I'm a difficult client, I know that. I'm depressed, and I have a high IQ. Dangerous combination. I can explain why the world sucks six ways from Sunday.

Still... it hurts to be regarded as useless. I suppose I'll get used to it. I'll get the damn message eventually. :-(

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    My therapist gave up on me,

I can't say that I'm altogether surprised. I'm a difficult client, I know that. I'm depressed, and I have a high IQ. Dangerous combination. I can explain why the world sucks six ways from Sunday.

Still... it hurts to be regarded as useless. I suppose I'll get used to it. I'll get the damn message eventually. :-(
    It's not a dangerous combination. In fact, stating so makes very little sense. You insinuate that someone with a higher IQ can explain why the world sucks "six ways from Sunday" when honestly anyone can do that. In fact, anyone who has taken a history class can list 1,000s of examples I am sure.

What I expect of someone whom is smart, is that they don't only focus on the negatives but also the positives. Yes, we can all list why the world sucks ... but we also can all list why it doesn't. If your therapist gave up on you, I would say that is because you likely where not even trying and going was pointless.

For you to get help, you first have to want it.

MarchinBunny

Whatever makes you feel better.
    No idea .. what you even mean by this response.

Damn. That was mean of me.

It was mean of you as well.

It is kind of obvious that I want help. Fucking DUH.

MarchinBunny

Damn. That was mean of me.

It was mean of you as well.

It is kind of obvious that I want help. Fucking DUH.
    Well ... I just gave you advice on what I felt is needed. There isn't much other advice I or probably anyone else can give you. What exactly are you looking for me to say? If a therapist gave up on you ... then how exactly is anyone here suppose to do a better job?

Also ... it wasn't mean. No where at any point in time was I saying anything remotely mean. Just the truth. The only way you are going to be happy is if you stop focusing only on the bad things that exist. There are plenty of good things as well.

That is mean.

My therapist should not have given up. It is very unprofessional.

It's OK. I won't feel bad for being nasty anymore. It's just human interaction, it's nasty by nature...

My psychiatrist, when I was in college. got mad at me because I only wanted to read him my poetry, rather than discuss my problems, which were diapers and homosexuality, a crime and mental illness in 1970. I don't know if I didn't want to discuss what brought me to him, probably, but he so completely couldn't relate to me, that I eventually talked my mom out of sending me to him. The thing that he didn't understand was that everything that was troubling me was contained in those poems. To this day, I still have and occasionally read those very poems. It was my heart and soul at the time.

I think you need to find another therapist who is more able to get to you. At the same time, I know what brabbit is saying, even though it's a guess or supposition. We do have to meet our therapists half way if we are to be helped. They can't do it if we don't respond to their questions. Of course, I don't know if that is your case. Brabbit was just surmising.

So, why do you think he gave up on you, assuming you want to talk about it? Perhaps we can help you through this, though I still rest on my original suggestion, that you don't give up on yourself and find another therapist.

Just remember that if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.