Huggies Pull Ups from 1988! My first vintage diaper purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatPullUpsKid88

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I'm excited to share my first vintage diaper purchase on here!

These are the first generation of Huggies Pull Ups to ever come out; the originals from 1988. These are the only Pull Ups I ever wore as a child and I am ecstatic to finally have them in my possession. I like these designs as opposed to what has been put out recently by Huggies. These Pull Ups are definitely larger and thicker than the Pull Ups made today!

These are certainly a keepsake for me, a link to my childhood.

Who remembers these Pull Ups? Please post and share :)

I suppose those are from the jingle that will forever be in my head, "I'm a big kid now!"

Hahaha! Yes indeed, they certainly are!

ThatPullUpsKid88 said:
I'm excited to share my first vintage diaper purchase on here!

These are the first generation of Huggies Pull Ups to ever come out; the originals from 1988. These are the only Pull Ups I ever wore as a child and I am ecstatic to finally have them in my possession. I like these designs as opposed to what has been put out recently by Huggies. These Pull Ups are definitely larger and thicker than the Pull Ups made today!

These are certainly a keepsake for me, a link to my childhood.

Who remembers these Pull Ups? Please post and share :)

Holy Macaroni! These are some Pull-Ups that are rare!

bambinod said:
I suppose those are from the jingle that will forever be in my head, "I'm a big kid now!"

That jingle is equal parts nostgalgia and dread for me. Even when they're trying to help it ends up being a bit of a torment, "don't you want to be a big kid?", or "You're still not a big kid now". *sigh*

ahhh commercial jingles. Gotta love them lol

Fabulous and congrats... Make sure you keep them cool and dry (if not using them of course)

Nah of course not (not using them that is). It's just a keepsake really. They wouldn't fit me anyway

I'm not too up on when Pull-Ups were revised, but I'm pretty sure I bought my first Pull-Ups in 1989. So I may have had these, or perhaps it was the design immediately following this one. The print does look vaguely familiar, but of course I've probably seen pictures of these on the internet before.

I was a cloth baby in the 70's and went straight from diapers to undies, as was relatively common then. Nonetheless, when Pull-Ups came out, I was very interested in them. Being 12 or 13 at the time I got them, I was barely able to squeeze into them, and I don't think I bought them again for a few more years. By that time, I had to modify them to have any chance of using them, which was a bit more of a pain than modding Pampers and Huggies diapers. No Velcro sides on Pull-Ups back then!

Anyway... fun purchase! I hope you enjoy them--for whatever purpose. I've several times bought 80's- and 90's-vintage Pampers diapers off eBay with then intent of using them (sparingly), but I haven't had great luck in that regard. Even in seemingly sealed packages, the diapers haven't aged well. The padding, having been compressed for decades, no longer fluffs up, and is instead rather brittle. And, not unlike old rubber bands, the elastics on these old diapers seem very tired. They don't necessarily break easily, but when they're stretched, they seem in no hurry to return to their original size/length. I've had very good luck with vintage cloth baby diapers, though, and have amassed quite a collection.

Of course, the challenge in any vintage diaper acquisition is not spending a ton of money. With cloth, that's not too difficult, but wow! $400+ for a sealed bag of 80's/90's disposable baby diapers is rather common. You pretty much have to wait for somebody to misspell "Huggies" or put their auction in the wrong category or something, together with being oblivious to the collector/ABDL market for these. That's been my strategy so far, but I'm very patient.

Last edited:
They've come a long way like the evolution of Goodnites from these minimal prints to the current prints

Like I said. They're just a keepsake. They were actually in pretty good shape for being almost 30 years old. They weren't discolored or dry-rotted at all. They look good

kimberly clark has come a loooong way.... not always in the right direction

A company does what it has to do to move forward and make its product easier to use. I just like the original designs. Hell, I even like the designs for boys and girls made from 1993 to 1996. I like having these as a way of knowing what they looked and felt like, which was way different than what is put out today (and just a simpler design; I like simple). I think even if I could wear them, I don't think I would simply because i know that over time there will be none left and I'll never see them again. I bought them as a way to reconnect with that phase of my life, whenever things get stressful.

Since you prefer the first Gen pull UPS (sorry for all caps atuo-correct thinks I'm talking about United Postal Service :p) what do you think of the current ones that are just rolling out

There's nothing wrong with them per se. Like I said, a company does what it needs to do to move forward. As far as the designs (really everything from the early 2000s onwards): too much color for me. I just like the white pull ups with the scattered pictures for some reason. Plus I think today's pull ups would be too thin for my liking. But that's just me.

ThatPullUpsKid88 said:
A company does what it has to do to move forward and make its product easier to use.
And cheaper to make, not sure how cutting the absorbent cores length in the seat makes it easier to use ;)

rennecfox said:
And cheaper to make, not sure how cutting the absorbent cores length in the seat makes it easier to use ;)

What I mean is that there are many parents who have complained about the use of Pull Ups for toilet training because of the fact that they are too much like a diaper and their kids will just go in them instead of using the toilet. So the company does what it can with the technology it has had over the years (i.e. The fade when wet designs, the wet liner etc) to help make TRAINING easier. (Sorry about the caps, not trying to be obnoxious) But there again I see what you're saying, I didn't know they cut the absorbent core.

These bring back memories, but I don't recall them being available until around 1990. I remember stealing the Large size from my neighbor's house. Her little cousin was 3 or 4 and was potty training at the time and I would take 2 Pull Ups each time I went. I was 13 at the time and could fit into them with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back