Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok so I might have a drug problem

Default Ok so I might have a drug problem

I'm not going to disclose exactly what I take, but they are pain pills. Anyway its not like I take them everyday. At most its 2-3 pills of 5-10mg in every one to two weeks. I do it for fun, to get away and not have to think. It usually makes me sick the next day but the high is almost worth it.

I don't know if I'm addicted but my boyfriend is worried about me. Would you classify this as a problem? I know I could go without them if I just tried, but I don't really want to try all that much. I just want to have fun with them here and there.

I don't know. I'm open to whatever you all have to say. Maybe I do have a problem...I just don't see it that way.

You're not taking them for their prescribed purpose, so yes, that's drug abuse, and I would consider it a problem. Drugs are not toys to ''have fun with''.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryRaven View Post
    I'm not going to disclose exactly what I take, but they are pain pills. Anyway its not like I take them everyday. At most its 2-3 pills of 5-10mg in every one to two weeks. I do it for fun, to get away and not have to think. It usually makes me sick the next day but the high is almost worth it.

I don't know if I'm addicted but my boyfriend is worried about me. Would you classify this as a problem? I know I could go without them if I just tried, but I don't really want to try all that much. I just want to have fun with them here and there.

I don't know. I'm open to whatever you all have to say. Maybe I do have a problem...I just don't see it that way.
    Hi.

I am not a professional, but I have been in several classes and there is several points that I want to bring them to ones attention.

1) "It s not like I do it every day"
    2) "I only take 2-3 pills"
    3) "I do it for fun"
    4) "to get away from not having to think"
    5) "IT usually makes me sick the next day, but the high is almost worth it."
    6) "I know I could go without then if I tried"
    7) "maybe I do have a problem...I just don't see it that way."

This is part of the list a addict uses to claim they are not an addict.

Considering other post and blogs as of late, I think you need to get professional help NOW!!!!

The other indicator is "How are you getting these pills?"
    If it is not through a Medical doctor who is seeing you for specific condition, then it is a MAJOR PROBLEM!!!

I'm not proud of it, its just, I thought my bf was overreacting. The last time I took pills I was really sick for 2 days after that. I think its because I have a low tolerance to meds in general so things tend to hit me pretty hard, but I'm starting to think I do have a problem.

Its become a way to to cope with things that I just started doing this year. A bad way to cope, apparently a really really bad way to cope...but yeah. My bf straight up told me if I do it one more time he is going to break up with me and call the cops. He has enough messages of me talking about suicide that he thinks they can have me involuntarily committed.

He wants me happy and I know that's why he'd do it. I just thought I had a better handle on things. I think I need to see a professional...

The other thing you said that would lead me to think it was at least on the fringes of addiction is that it makes you sick and yet you do it anyway. When I was younger I did a lot of drinking and it too made me sick, but I'd drink to access. Eventually having a bleeding ulcer and medically dying made me quit cold turkey.

I have an addictive personality so I've learned to be very careful as to what goes into my system. One can have good or better addictions, like running, working out, hiking, etc. At the moment, I'm addicted to playing piano and learning new pieces which is a good and productive kind of addiction. You need to substitute something healthy for your pills to take up the time and space. .

I'm not proud of it, its just, I thought my bf was overreacting. The last time I took pills I was really sick for 2 days after that. I think its because I have a low tolerance to meds in general so things tend to hit me pretty hard, but I'm starting to think I do have a problem.

Its become a way to to cope with things that I just started doing this year. A bad way to cope, apparently a really really bad way to cope...but yeah. My bf straight up told me if I do it one more time he is going to break up with me and call the cops. He has enough messages of me talking about suicide that he thinks they can have me involuntarily committed.

He wants me happy and I know that's why he'd do it. I just thought I had a better handle on things. I think I need to see a professional...
    Hello.

This is the hardest step to recovery. Admitting there is a problem.
    The next hardest step is to follow through and go to the doctor or psychiatrist.
    Keep moving forward and remember we care about you and are here to help the best way we can.

It usually makes me sick the next day but the high is almost worth it.
    In a vacuum I don't have many complaints about people using recreational pharmaceuticals. It's illegal, but so are a bunch of things that I don't think should be. The point being that I want it clear I'm divorcing my attitudes here from legal standing.

The almost here is a pretty significant word. It means that it isn't worth it and you know it. Imagine coming to your senses after going an emergency C-section and following conversation happens.

Doctor, is my baby alright?
    Yes, he is.
    Really?
    Well, almost.

Yea, your words here are pretty telling. You're doing something not worth doing but you do it anyway? At the very least you have some serious thought to give to your priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    Drugs are not toys to ''have fun with''.
    Counterarguments: caffeine, alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Counterarguments: caffeine, alcohol.
    and endorphins. Hard to get. Cost a lot of time and effort, but the side effects are all positive.

I don't think you're addicted yet. Like your boyfriend, I think you're on a tightrope that's way too easy to fall off. Better to start looking for highs that don't require chemical help, especially if you have an addictive/obsessive personality. Hard physical exercise works for me, some find it with meditation, music, art.....

. My bf straight up told me if I do it one more time he is going to break up with me and call the cops. He has enough messages of me talking about suicide that he thinks they can have me involuntarily committed. He wants me happy and I know that's why he'd do it. I just thought I had a better handle on things. I think I need to see a professional...
    First of all, if your boyfriend is going to break up with you or call the cops because of your reliance on these drugs, then there is a problem. There is a problem if you're relying on any kind of drug to simply 'have fun' or to escape suicidal thoughts. There is a problem with addiction if your response is simply thinking he is just overreacting. He wants to help, and you are lucky to have someone who cares, but you need to recognize you need help. And I do believe you need help.

I'd like to tell you what it's like being on the other side... when you're involved in a relationship and watching helplessly as your partner loses control because of prescription drugs.

Many years ago I was involved in a relationship when my partner discovered Valium, a drug often given to people suffering from depression. It was back in the late 70's when doctors were prescribing the drug like it was candy. My partner and I lived in a gay, closeted relationship which in itself had its challenges, and my partner coped with the stress by taking prescription drugs. I heard all of those defensive responses: that I was overreacting, that he wasn't really addicted, it was just a temporary escape. It altered his personality and I wasn't strong enough to change his behaviour. I meekly stood by him, mostly because our relationship was solid and fulfilling in so many other ways. I had hoped he would get off the drug after hearing all his promises, but he always had reasons why he wasn't ready.

On a night when he was alone, he committed suicide. He took the remainder of the Valium he had accumulated from six different doctors, mixed it with alcohol, and then went down into the basement and tied a plastic bag over his head. I live with the guilt today that I didn't do enough to help him and that I should have done more.

I still get angry, all these years later, when I hear of doctors overprescribing drugs that may or may not be necessary to alleviate stress, depression or pain. These drugs can alter a person's behaviour and personality unless they are closely monitored and properly prescribed. The ones you're taking may be helpful in dealing with some sort of physical pain, but they may also be causing considerable side effects, such as exacerbating depression and suicidal tendencies. I can tell you, from personal experience, that it's a toxic, deadly mix.

StrawberryRaven, I replied to your past posts about feeling depressed and suicidal, and I'm replying to you now on the topic of getting high on painkillers. You need to recognize that there is a connection between the two issues and understand that these aren't isolated problems. I would strongly, strongly encourage you to see a professional counsellor so that you can address these problems in a proper, holistic manner. This behaviour can be fatal to your family, your relationships, and most importantly, to yourself. I'm glad you have someone that wants to help you through it. Please... accept the help.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 02-Aug-2016 at 15:16.

Well, I can't tell if it's a physical addiction, but if you cannot stay away from something like that you should go see a professional and disclose the details to him.
    Especially if you take drugs which will fuck you up days later.