One-Day Project I wanted to share!
I've had a contoured changing pad in baby-size for a few months, and I've been itching to upgrade it.
So, I got the following materials:
- 1-inch thick foam camping pad (72" long)
- 2-inch thick foam camping pad (72" long)
- 2 yards + 6" of 64-inch wide PUL of one design
- 2 yards + 6" of 64-inch wide PUL of another design
The pad ended up being 72" long, and 28" wide. The bumpers are wedges 5" on the bottom and 2" on the top.
I built each bumper by using a serrated blade (a bread knife) to cut two 5"x72" strips of the two-inch-thick foam material, and then used foam-compatible adhesive to glue them together. Once dry, I marked the wedge shape and cut out the excess material. I repeated this to build the other bumper, and then I attached both to the top of the 1-inch thick pad with the adhesive.
Sewing was a pain in the rear at such a scale (I won't go into details, but the extra 6" was handy). Being geometrically-shaped, it was straight-forward cutting out the shapes but a pain to sew together. (PUL is slippery and doesn't catch evenly on the feed-dogs of the sewing machine)
I didn't install a hard bottom, as the pad is built to be flipped over to expose the other pattern. (the arrow pattern visible on the sides)
In the end, it's incredibly comfortable and just the right width to hug my shoulders and accommodate my height. Very happy with this build.
(pictures depict baby changing pad for scale -- no plans to put myself in those pictures)