Thread: Oliver Stone views that Pokemon Go related with Surveillance

Default Oliver Stone views that Pokemon Go related with Surveillance

Did Pokemon Go was the Totalitarianism and future of Surveillance?

Well, recently I read an interesting news related to the Pokemon Go game about Oliver Stone warned the game:

He said about that games had connection with Totalitarianism, to do:

*Selling and sharing data business.

*Making future Surveillance with predicting human behaviour.

Read this article:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/pokemon...llance/5538709

What do you thought?

AEther*

Quote Originally Posted by AEther View Post
    Did Pokemon Go was the Totalitarianism and future of Surveillance?

Well, recently I read an interesting news related to the Pokemon Go game about Oliver Stone warned the game:

He said about that games had connection with Totalitarianism, to do:

*Selling and sharing data business.

*Making future Surveillance with predicting human behaviour.

Read this article:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/pokemon...llance/5538709

What do you thought?

AEther*
    I think that this ship has already sailed. It's the smartphone itself that is the threat to privacy, not any given third-party app that's running on it. Even without Pokémon Go, Apple, Samsung, HTC et al, can all track your location, read your data and (theoretically), listen in on your conversations if they care to. If they had any fundamental moral issues with the practise of locational data mining, then they wouldn't allow app developers to do it either. There are any number of mass-market apps, including Facebook, that can track your location via the phone's GPS, and I suspect that they have far greater long-term staying power than Pokémon GO.

TBH, I'm not sure that ubiquitous surveillance for commercial purposes that is consented to by the consumer (you don't have to own a smartphone) really fits into the historical models for Totalitarianism. There are certainly parallels, but just because Totalitarian societies all exhibit a lack of privacy does not mean that a lack of privacy equals Totalitarianism.
    Last edited by Akastus; 31-Jul-2016 at 23:28.

If Pokemon Go is a surveillance app, it's pretty useless - it alters the behaviour of those it's surveilling.

Pokemon Go is skynet!!

But seriously this is a bit silly. You wouldn't need an app to track people the phone already does. Anyone who has access to your network's data can track your smartphone via its GPS. Unless you are like me and have an ancient galaxyS2 with a broken GPS lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliborio View Post
    If Pokemon Go is a surveillance app, it's pretty useless - it alters the behaviour of those it's surveilling.
    Ah! So it's a mind control app. Even more disturbing!

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Ah! So it's a mind control app. Even more disturbing!
    Well, right! I mean, we've already had people walk off cliffs while playing it. It turns people into lemmings! :O

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acan View Post
    Pokemon Go is skynet!!

But seriously this is a bit silly. You wouldn't need an app to track people the phone already does. Anyone who has access to your network's data can track your smartphone via its GPS. Unless you are like me and have an ancient galaxyS2 with a broken GPS lol
    You might know, gps is only the iceing on the cake so to speak. Your broken phone still seeks out the transmitter with the strongest signal while you are on the move. It is this fact that Joe O'Reilly did not take into account in the commisioning of the murder of his wife in Ireland a few years ago. Hence his getting to bleat innocence from behind bars, to date.

The only true child I've seen play that game was a German tourist. He was capturing pokemon here and presumably intending to traffic them back home. Have to wonder what immigration would make of that.

All others I've seen playing the game, disturbingly enough were adults. To watch them respectfully going about their way, then without warning go ape shit insane with a phone in hand. On a couple of occasions I was tempted the restrain the unfortunate inflicted individual till the danger poised had long passed. I'd imagine, you would get to read about that in the papers though.