Thread: Thinking outloud

Default Thinking outloud

I want to get away. Lately I've wanting to see more of the world. I've been a traveler since I was 12. I'm thinking of tossing most of my money to my mom to place in a second bank account that I have with her. I want to use it to find a new home somewhere else in the states. Somewhere with more chances, but not so overwhelming. I'm thinking there could be something for me elsewhere than here. Trying to stay hopeful and not so down crested. I was also thinking of taking a job with AT&T but I'm not sure what I could do. Everyone says I should try for it anyways. I had to replace my laptop with the one I'm using now, but I got it on sale, so it wasn't so bad. I wanted to just put an update out there.

Well, I'm not the kind of person to advise someone to just pack it in and go start over somewhere else, BUT, you have been pretty miserable in your current situation for a pretty long time and things don't seem to be getting any better. I know it's been affecting your mental and physical health in a serious way. Maybe a change of scenery isn't such a bad idea.

I think there are some questions you need to ask of yourself.

How much will this cost? Will my savings cover it? Am I prepared for any unforeseen costs? (the car breaks down, etc.)
    Are there things I want to take with me?
    What are the moving and transportation costs?
    Where will I stay when I get there? Hotels/ Motels/ Shelters/ Room rentals/ shared accommodation (you can do a preliminary search online prior to moving but I would never recommend renting a place site unseen).
    What are the rental costs of housing accommodation? Is first and last month's rent required?
    What is the employment situation in the area? Are there good opportunities and possibilities of advancement? You could do an online search to help get this information before making a decision.

Ideally, you want to find a location that has a robust economy, combined with a good vacancy rate and a reasonable cost of living.
    It's also good to have a fall back plan in the event things don't work out. It would probably be less stressful if you knew you had a place to return to in the event things don't work out (talk to your mom?)
    Also make sure your resume is up to date and get some reference letters from your employer and colleagues before you go..

I think there's always some risk when you want to start over somewhere else, however, you're still young and you're not hurting anyone else if things don't work out for you, so maybe this is the best time to take a chance. And with some proper planning, it could really pay off for you. There could be quite an exciting adventure ahead of you. Good luck in your decision.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 01-Aug-2016 at 02:07.

I started over several times. One time was when I was 32, employed, and married with two children. We moved from Ohio to Virginia and adopted my wife's nephew as well, but I had a better paying job that we were moving to. My wife also got a full time teaching job which also generated more income. The downside was that we had no family support as we left my wife's family and mine had passed away. We did manage to make it work however, and we're still here.