Is thicker really better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybebabymaybenot

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
(If you don't care to read my novel, feel free to skip to the *****'s) :)

I'm (hopefully) coming down from my first binge cycle. Only having recently accepted that the fetish I've shamed myself into ignoring for most of my adult life doesn't make me a horrible person, I've spent the last two or so months completely obsessed with diapers. I've learned a lot—about this fetish, this lifestyle, and more importantly, about myself—and I've spent a lot too. (Babies aren't cheap!)

At first, I thought—assumed— I wanted a diaper that was thick and would get heavy. My very first experience with diapers as an adult seemed to confirm this—I layered 4 GoodNight pull-ups I sheepishly bought from my local grocery store and proceeded to prance around my empty house until minutes before my fiancé came home. Perfect experience.

Aaaaand then that binge I mentioned before started to spiral. I went on an online spree—I ordered first a pack of Abena M4s and then 2 of Molicare's Super Plus disposables. (The first was plastic backed, but the small size was too...small. The mediums I ordered next were cloth-backed.) Samples from Bambino came next, then I just went a little nuts and ordered packs from ABUniverse and Tykables. Needless to say, I have quite a supply, and am slightly embarrassed at my lack of control.

Anyway. Back to my point. So, throughout all this, I have this idea in my head that "thicker is better," right? Thicker and plastic. That's what's best—so says the Internet, at least.

Aaaand yet...even as I sit here in a very pretty ABU Lavender, I can't help but think that I'd be happier in the second pack of Molicares I got—the very thin, cloth backed ones that most people seem to hate.

I don't know if it's because of my age (at 27, I don't really remember thick plastic diapers. My mom always bought thinner ones, and my memory seems to linger on cloth backed Pampers) or if it's because I like how they look under my clothes (suits and Tykables do not mix), but I just can't seem to fall in love with them. They feel...like I'm faking something? Or trying too hard.

Aren't baby diapers designed to be comfortable for babies and toddlers? Surely not to be so thick they can't close their legs when it's dry. Yes, baby diapers sag, and toddlers waddle...but only after wearing for a while.

(As I'm writing this, I'm realizing I may have answered my original question, but I have a new one...)

Is wearing a thicker diaper really more infantile? Or do we just assume it is? And if we do, why?

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, I realize that I'm overthinking this. But this entire revelation is very psychological in nature for me, so...sorry... >_>

The one you like best is the best one.
That's not really as simple an answer as it sounds. Defining why you like diapers at all is probably going to be as impossible as defining why you like cookies. Life will get more simple when you fully grasp that you just do, and that's all the answer you need. But getting to that point is a journey of self discovery. Don't sweat it.

Their is probably some deep rooted reason you like a certain diaper right now. It will be your gateway into discovering more about your self. In time, that diaper will become boring, either because your reasons change as you grow comfortable with your self, or because of fetish disassociation. That's where the thing that brings you closer to your happiness by reminding you of some past happiness starts to become the present happiness all on it's own, and your brain disconnects the association between the nostalgic experience, and the joy of the presence. And when that happens, you'll start experimenting with other ways to bring the present source of joy. This isn't limited to diapers, it can happen with food, music, cars, relationships. I.E. your first love probably reminded you of your mother, but your next love.....

So to simplify. You find something that brings you happiness because it reminds you of something. but as you keep doing it, you start to love it for the joy of now.

Anyway, don't sweat the binge/purge thing. That happens with all guilty pleasures.

I really think it all has to do with personal preference. Some people can't get a thick enough diaper and others are content with thin store brand ones. That's why most AB/DL companies don't just focus on one style or design, but instead try to carry as many different products as they seem fit. Everybody is different and not everybody is going to like the same thing.

Yes. Thicker is really better.

these days most toddlers wear thiner diapers and pullups then the adults if they are wearing supermarket ones. If you were born in the 90s not sure why people would associate it with the feeling as they were only slightly thicker then underwear. Even then like now its pretty easy to forget you have it on... if it isn't you probably have an issue of having an uncomfortable product.

Thicker is mostly better in that it offers a bit of bulge to a significantly longer time between changes. If bowels are a consideration it might not be worth it if you need a lot of those kinds of changes.

Last edited:
Baby diapers are thinner than even the thinnest adult diapers if you're looking at it in a strictly thickness to thickness perspective because the absorbency needs for a baby due to their smaller size isn't as much. However that smaller size is also why thicker is seen as more babyish because even though the diaper itself is technically thicker, proportionally to the body of a baby it is thicker.

maybebabymaybenot said:
Is wearing a thicker diaper really more infantile? Or do we just assume it is? And if we do, why?

Part of it is because thick diapers were the norm until the early 90s when they started loading them up with SAP, thinning them out. One thing I've noticed is that most people's preferences seem to be what they remember as the norm when their sensibilities first began to manifest (example: I trace my own tendencies back to age 5, and my preferences fit in with what was common in the late 80s, with a little bit of triangle-style cloth [with one giant pin in the front] due to old cartoons).

I think the best summary reply is: "try it, you might like it"

I'm also personally a fan of trying more than one or two at a time. I try to sample "by the bag" where possible. ABU is really nice that way, you can contact them and request a very specific mixed case without paying a fortune. (I think they price the case based on the case price of the most expensive model in the variety) This can work out a LOT cheaper than getting a case of samples from like DiaperConn etc, and gets you a huge variety and enough padding to comfortably "binge" on for awhile. Sometimes it takes two or three shots with a diaper to get the hang of fitting and taping it and seeing how well it works for you.

I don't like overly thick and crinkly diapers either. I'm firmly in the plastic backed camp though, but for pratical reasons: I have yet to see a cotton feel diaper that stays in shape and has the same level of odour control as a decent plastic backed one.

My absolute favourites are Tena Super and Maxi, the Active Fit variant is the one to get these days. It's a discreet and rather silent diaper but really swells up with use. So I it's kind of the best of both worlds for me.

maybebabymaybenot said:
(If you don't care to read my novel, feel free to skip to the *****'s) :)

I'm (hopefully) coming down from my first binge cycle. Only having recently accepted that the fetish I've shamed myself into ignoring for most of my adult life doesn't make me a horrible person, I've spent the last two or so months completely obsessed with diapers. I've learned a lot—about this fetish, this lifestyle, and more importantly, about myself—and I've spent a lot too. (Babies aren't cheap!)

At first, I thought—assumed— I wanted a diaper that was thick and would get heavy. My very first experience with diapers as an adult seemed to confirm this—I layered 4 GoodNight pull-ups I sheepishly bought from my local grocery store and proceeded to prance around my empty house until minutes before my fiancé came home. Perfect experience.

Aaaaand then that binge I mentioned before started to spiral. I went on an online spree—I ordered first a pack of Abena M4s and then 2 of Molicare's Super Plus disposables. (The first was plastic backed, but the small size was too...small. The mediums I ordered next were cloth-backed.) Samples from Bambino came next, then I just went a little nuts and ordered packs from ABUniverse and Tykables. Needless to say, I have quite a supply, and am slightly embarrassed at my lack of control.

Anyway. Back to my point. So, throughout all this, I have this idea in my head that "thicker is better," right? Thicker and plastic. That's what's best—so says the Internet, at least.

Aaaand yet...even as I sit here in a very pretty ABU Lavender, I can't help but think that I'd be happier in the second pack of Molicares I got—the very thin, cloth backed ones that most people seem to hate.

I don't know if it's because of my age (at 27, I don't really remember thick plastic diapers. My mom always bought thinner ones, and my memory seems to linger on cloth backed Pampers) or if it's because I like how they look under my clothes (suits and Tykables do not mix), but I just can't seem to fall in love with them. They feel...like I'm faking something? Or trying too hard.

Aren't baby diapers designed to be comfortable for babies and toddlers? Surely not to be so thick they can't close their legs when it's dry. Yes, baby diapers sag, and toddlers waddle...but only after wearing for a while.

(As I'm writing this, I'm realizing I may have answered my original question, but I have a new one...)

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, I realize that I'm overthinking this. But this entire revelation is very psychological in nature for me, so...sorry... >_>
Dude, I totally agree with you! I knew I wasn't the only one thinking that!

I know the popular opinion is the thicker the better and plastic instead of cloth-like but I agree with you: it isn't realistic.

But that was my opinion as well before I actually tried adult diapers about 3 years ago.

That's when I started to notice that adult diapers are very different than baby diapers.

By chance I came across a type of adult diaper that resembles baby diapers the most.

At the moment the diaper I use more often is the Attends Adjustable and Attends Slip Active with some Tena Flex as well. I'm also aware that the Tena Stretch and the new Molicare are like the Attends Adjustable, I hope to try the Molicare single tape soon.

Coincidentally, today I wore a snuggies (tykables) waddler that I still have laying around, and in the beginning it was nice seeing the babyish print, but it covers so much skin... I was sweating a lot too, it was just uncomfortable. I've since changed into an Attends Adjustable, and the difference is immense, I'm much more comfortable and feel more little since it looks like I'm wearing an all white pampers or other modern baby diaper. I just don't understand how more people don't see it. Well, your post made my day since I now know I'm not the only one. :)

Enviado do meu ASUS_Z00ED através de Tapatalk

kapi said:
I don't like overly thick and crinkly diapers either. I'm firmly in the plastic backed camp though, but for pratical reasons: I have yet to see a cotton feel diaper that stays in shape and has the same level of odour control as a decent plastic backed one.

My absolute favourites are Tena Super and Maxi, the Active Fit variant is the one to get these days. It's a discreet and rather silent diaper but really swells up with use. So I it's kind of the best of both worlds for me.

Plastic backed is just better overall as its easier to get a good fit/I find them more comfortable, and odor issues are less issues

Everyone has personal preferences. Everyone has different reasons as to why they choose a certain product. It's not just because they grew up with it, it's not always because it's what they wore as a toddler. I can't even hardly remember those years and I doubt many could.

I love mostly thick plastic backed disposable diapers. I Akari have room for prefold cloth diapers as well as the modern cloth diapers. I'm not closed minded toward thin diapers, I just prefer them thick. Sometime I like to wear thinner diapers.

Some people don't like having a pillow between their legs. They don't really care for the waddling experience. They just want enough to know that something is there.

Some people love having crinkles. The plastic backed crowd is mixed with crinkles, but they like the smoothness of the plastic. It has better protection and odor control. Then others don't like anything about the plastic because it's warmer, noisy, and prefer to have something breathable.

Thicker diapers become really squishy when full. It can be a turn on or for some it's not sexual for them at all. They just may like it for some reason for another.

People come from all walks of life. People have certain preferences that vary from others. We just do us, and that is all that matters.

I think wicking is the most important aspect. So that leads me to Molicare supers and Northshore Supremes.
I also think that a sturdy pad that does not clump or break up is also essential and the Northshore is the only one fitting that description. So for active daytime it's Northshore and for night time it's Molicare. I wish Northshore would offer a printed pattern diaper. Not likely to see that. I think the Crinklz pattern on a Northshore would be a scream.

I like cookies because they are fattening ...
I like thick Plastic diapers because when I look in the mirror I can blame the diaper for making me look fat as enjoy another pre-pre lunch of cookies and milk, speaking of cookies I just saw the commercial for a new red velvet with white chocolate chips and frosting inside the cookie , got to get me some of those to try.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have always liked thicker diapers, but both kinds of diapers now have a special place in my heart.

There is one thing that occurs to me - as a continent voluntary diaper user, I needed fairly thick diapers. As a person who became incontinent by choice, my diaper shopping is toward the top end of the thickness spectrum in the medical market - Abena M3 is my staple, for example, although most diaper wearers would consider it quite thick.

However, Abena M3 is 'thin' compared to 'thick' diapers like ABU Simple or, far thicker, cloth pin-on diapers.

They both have their uses to me - when I am not focusing on being AB, I am happiest in 'thin' M3s because they give me physical flexibility and relative discretion while providing me with an appropriate amount of impression. When I am regressing under emotional stress, or simply relaxing, I prefer thicker diapers because they are more absorbent and make me feel more comforted (I was out of diapers quite late so I do have some conscious memories of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back