Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They found out

Default They found out

Yep, I've been caught. Parents went through my room and found everything. Not sure what to do now. They seem Ok with it, but they seem to think that I have some sort of mental illness. I personally don't see the problem with it, and I am happy as is, but I don't think they are willing to accept this.
    Anyways I have to get rid of a bunch of diapers and stuff... not sure what I should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragequit View Post
    Yep, I've been caught. Parents went through my room and found everything. Not sure what to do now. They seem Ok with it, but they seem to think that I have some sort of mental illness. I personally don't see the problem with it, and I am happy as is, but I don't think they are willing to accept this.
    Anyways I have to get rid of a bunch of diapers and stuff... not sure what I should do.
    Sorry to hear you've been caught. Are your parents making you get rid of the diapers, etc.? My mom thought I was crazy when she found my stuff many years ago. A lot of parents react that way. You could have a talk with your mom and explain to her what it is. You might take a refresher course by searching "Infantalism" on Wikipedia and "Understanding Infantalism" so you'll have a better understanding of what all this is. It would also help to frame and organize what you might want to say. That's what I did when I had to explain it to my wife, that and making a membership on this site.

Yeah, they want everything out. They also don't like the idea of me carrying on. I tried to convince them that I wasn't harming anybody or anything including myself. They want me to go see a therapist, they don't think it's healthy. I explained it to them rationally and without resorting to emotion but it just seems like their solution is "get rid of everything and try to refocus that energy. I have almost half a case of ABU stuff, molicares, some other expensive stuff and they want it all gone. It's a lot.

You should say since you made those purchases with your own hard earned money you are entitled to them.

Yeah, they want everything out. They also don't like the idea of me carrying on. I tried to convince them that I wasn't harming anybody or anything including myself. They want me to go see a therapist, they don't think it's healthy. I explained it to them rationally and without resorting to emotion but it just seems like their solution is "get rid of everything and try to refocus that energy. I have almost half a case of ABU stuff, molicares, some other expensive stuff and they want it all gone. It's a lot.
    Hmm, that's rather a rough spot. I assume you're dependent on living with your parents as well. I'd suggest you agree to see a therapist (they're paying, right?) and ask them to wait on throwing stuff out. You can take a break, not use it for a while, but explain that it's expensive and you want to talk to the therapist and see what he says before you have to waste all that money. You can put everything in a storage box for a week or two, and then ask the therapist. You'll want to explain rationally to the therapist and listen to what they have to say. Ideally, the therapist can then explain to your parents why they're making a mistake making you get rid of everything once you've explained to them about how it helps you.

I would hide the stuff and say you got rid of it, that way both parties are happy, you can't kid yourself, alternatively to save your relationship is to go to the therapist and explain how you feel and see what he has to say for himself, he will often suggest ways around keeping your stuff and encouraging your parents to accept you.

There is nothing wrong with using the therapy for other things that concern you or you have difficulties with. Take the therapy anyway

My folks freaked out when they discovered my stash when i was in 6th grade. it remained taboo until i was able to move out.

life is so much better now.

Dude I am so sorry you have to deal with this. If you don't mind me being religious I want to include you in my prayers. Perhaps the Holy spirit has answers. I know I use my little side as a way to cope with anxiety and depression.

Hi Ragequit.

So sorry to hear that your parents have found your stuff.

And you know your family situation better than anybody else.

How ever be open and honest with them about the way it makes you feel when you regress.

Most parents just want the best for the children and discovering that they are an AB DL may come as a bit of a shock to them. So is understandable that you think you need therapy.

But don't we all need therapy that is.

I found with my son being open and honest is the best way forward.

Hope it all works out for you