Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Pants

Default Plastic Pants

Hi Guys,

I only have one pair of plastic pants and they are starting to go a bit "hard" with age, is there anything that you can do with them to make them soft again ? Also Im in South Africa and can not find any locally but if anyone knows of anybody selling plastic pants in SA I would be great full for there contact details.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do when the plastic starts to harden, oils,creams and natural body fluids will cause this. To prolong the life of any plastic product wash it with plain warm water only. Towel dry, and then air dry out of the sun. I get my pants from the well known auction site from a chinese supplier. I tend to buy in bulk, so far i have been very happy with them and looked after they have quite a long life. There is nothing better than putting on a clean nappy with a brand new pair of plastic pants on top just in case of small leaks.

Once the plasticizers start to leech out the pants days are numbered they become stiffer and stiffer until they are cracked and brittle, creams and ointments as well as sweat and urine will do this also having them in the sunlight degrades them , cloth diapers love the sun but Plastic pants not do much.

I am in the US so unfortunately have no recommendations for easy replacement that would be applicable or appropriate for you in SA. Sorry

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

i too wear Hainan plastic panties (from china) and have to say, for the price you can't beat em. they are abit tight in the leg and waist, but +/- $6 a pair i can easily keep myself in plastic panties..

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    Once the plasticizers start to leech out the pants days are numbered
    I wonder if there isn't something they could coat them with to prevent that? A sealant of some kind? They're already supposed to be waterproof so it shouldn't complicate things.

I am using some Mylesta nylon waterproof pants at the moment they are 100% pee proof and don't go brittle. You can't machine wash them though as it knock the waterproofing out of them. They are silent under clothing.

another option is get some 'Euroflex' panties.. (can be bought at llmedico and other places) .. they feel like a cross between plastic and latex. They are a bit more expensive, but are impervious to oils, creams, urine, and messes .. i had two pair of them i wore daily for well over two years 24/7 and in the end the elastic finally gave out, but the panty was as soft as new.

I'd highly recommend Gary Activewear PUL (Poly Urethane Laminate) pants. They cost a bit more but I've found that they are soft, quiet, wash well, wear like iron, and are also a lot cooler than the regular plastic pants.

I've tried the inexpensive Hainan plastic pants and have not had good luck with them. The side seams tend to rip out very easily and they also tear at the elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1959 View Post
    another option is get some 'Euroflex' panties.. (can be bought at llmedico and other places) .. they feel like a cross between plastic and latex. They are a bit more expensive, but are impervious to oils, creams, urine, and messes .. i had two pair of them i wore daily for well over two years 24/7 and in the end the elastic finally gave out, but the panty was as soft as new.
    The caveat to Eoroflex is a diabetics urine will destroy them very rapidly, otherwise they are great pants.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I like the 4-mil pull-on vinyl pants from Gary.

The thing to keep in mind with these and other reusable diapering products is that they don't last forever. Doing things like hand-washing, not using detergents, line-drying (in the case of diapers), etc.--yeah, you'll extend the life a bit, but how much inconvenience is that extra bit worth? Having to replace these things periodically isn't really all that bad.

The Gary pants seem to last me about two years. I may only use them a few times a week, though, and they do periodically go into the wash--with my diapers, and detergent. After that, I just shake them vigorously to remove the largest water droplets and call 'em done.