Granddaughter and my diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerguru

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So my granddaughter will be 2 in September and I don't hide my diapers as I'm disabled and everyone knows about them but I have always wandered if a young child such as my granddaughter understands the difference between adult diapers and children's diapers. Well this morning my granddaughter was soaked so I told her to go get me a diaper and to my surprise she went into my room opened the little nightstand and drought me one of my diapers lol I was so blown away thet she knew the difference. I told her she needs to get one of her diapers and she went over and grabbed one off the stack!. This has answered my question about do little children know the difference. Just thought I would share this with all of you.

That's clever but do you think she may not want to potty train?, it's a difficult situation because 2 year olds are likely to not understand why they have to stop wearing diapers, especially if nana wears them! Good luck in potty training when you do, you'll need it!

Angelic said:
That's clever but do you think she may not want to potty train?, it's a difficult situation because 2 year olds are likely to not understand why they have to stop wearing diapers, especially if nana wears them! Good luck in potty training when you do, you'll need it!

This the exact reason I did hide my diaper wearing when my son was very young (and still hide it for other reasons as well). I did not want to interfere with his development with regards to potty training.

Angelic said:

I seriously doubt she'll have a problem training. Because unlike a lot of people here, most people find it extremely uncomfortable being wet or "messy". Sorry I seem so brutally honest, but that's just how normal folks function.

My son once called my diapers "mommy diapers." Kids know more than we think.

Kids do the darnedest things...

You do have to give kids credit. They definitely know more than we may realize.

but do you think its ok not to potty train them

icklespace said:
but do you think its ok not to potty train them

Its not even remotely ok. at least in my book. that breaches that idea of not forcing your children into becoming certain things. you have to give them the opportunity to be able to enter society and become who they wish later on in life.

thats pretty much child abuse in my opinion.

MommyandMattling said:
Its not even remotely ok. at least in my book. that breaches that idea of not forcing your children into becoming certain things. you have to give them the opportunity to be able to enter society and become who they wish later on in life.

thats pretty much child abuse in my opinion.

I would say not encouraging behavior that averages on socially acceptable, leading to them getting opstracized later in life, is probably not chid abuse, but is definitely irresponsible parenting. (I don't see "child abuse" and "irresponsible parenting" as being damaging to the same degree)

You can have kids and only teach them how to speak klingon, there's no law against that specifically, but it'll probably do them a disservice in life. Part of being a parent is preparing your children for integration into society. The details of how they do that or how you prepare them is up to you, but you have to be making responsible decisions so as not to get them off to a crappy start.

But I don't think that's an easy one to call. Parents usually want final say in how they raise their kids, they want to bring them up with a minimum of "interferance". Unfortunately, some people are idiots, and a lot of those idiots are also parents, so you're going to get bad parenting some of the time. It's like any other fredom, you have to decide at what point it becomes unacceptable, draw a line, and not try to enforce the will of society past that line.

bambinod said:
I would say not encouraging behavior that averages on socially acceptable, leading to them getting opstracized later in life, is probably not chid abuse, but is definitely irresponsible parenting. (I don't see "child abuse" and "irresponsible parenting" as being damaging to the same degree)

You can have kids and only teach them how to speak klingon, there's no law against that specifically, but it'll probably do them a disservice in life. Part of being a parent is preparing your children for integration into society. The details of how they do that or how you prepare them is up to you, but you have to be making responsible decisions so as not to get them off to a crappy start.

Aren't they always broadening what child abuse is though? I imagine only teaching your kid klingon would be considered child abuse if you where to ask child services. As I am fairly certain not sending your children to school can also be considered child abuse. It's called neglect.

brabbit1987 said:
As I am fairly certain not sending your children to school can also be considered child abuse. It's called neglect.

That'd be called "home schooling", and in some cases they get a better education at home than they could have at the local school. Legal in all 50 afaik. Getting fairly rare nowadays though. Usually done for religious or isolation reasons though. You get a hardline christian family that doesn't want their kids to learn about sex or evolution in the public schools and a stay-at-home mom that's dedicated and there you go. As long as they can get a GED the state doesn't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Angelic said:

Most kids want to get out of diapers, kids are hard-wired to want to grow up, and diapers are a pretty solid "not grown up" trait they want to ditch. Same as wanting to do things themselves like get dressed, ride a bike, feed themselves, use the potty etc. And there's plenty of peer pressure both active and passive. Seeing the other kids out of diapers is no different than seeing the other kids on the big kids swing. The big kids are doing it, they want to be like the big kids. True, grandpa being different is just one example out of a hundred the kid will see today, but they know how to work out "average/normal" behavior from exceptions.

bambinod said:
Most kids want to get out of diapers, kids are hard-wired to want to grow up, and diapers are a pretty solid "not grown up" trait they want to ditch. Same as wanting to do things themselves like get dressed, ride a bike, feed themselves, use the potty etc. And there's plenty of peer pressure both active and passive. Seeing the other kids out of diapers is no different than seeing the other kids on the big kids swing. The big kids are doing it, they want to be like the big kids. True, grandpa being different is just one example out of a hundred the kid will see today, but they know how to work out "average/normal" behavior from exceptions.

And that is the point entirely. It is sad that adults with special needs, who have to wear diapers, are stigmatized. But a lot of that may have to do with being hard-wired to achieve and maintain adulthood, and independence. People want to be successful, and diapers are not associated with success.

There are many on this board, who I believe are unable to, and are unwilling, to understand people who have special needs, especially those with developmental disabilities. As for most of the individuals here, diapers are a kink. Something that gets worn, then put away when something else is more convenient. I just wish that people would have a better willingness to understand someone who is functionally different. It's hard for me, when I have to severely limit my activities during times when I MUST have my diaper bag in close proximity.

you are setting your child up for a lot of needless hardship if you do not potty train them, while they may eventually train themselves, i feel anyone who refused to potty train their child is encouraging them to behave and act in a specific way. children want to make their parents proud and to please them, they may get the idea they will be loved less if they start to potty train. this deeker like approach and the ramifications foisted upon the child can only lead to social and most likely self image issues later in life. denying or with holding love to enable a child to be more dependent on you for your own enjoyment is nothing more then abuse

bambinod said:
That'd be called "home schooling", and in some cases they get a better education at home than they could have at the local school. Legal in all 50 afaik. Getting fairly rare nowadays though. Usually done for religious or isolation reasons though. You get a hardline christian family that doesn't want their kids to learn about sex or evolution in the public schools and a stay-at-home mom that's dedicated and there you go. As long as they can get a GED the state doesn't care.

Are you kidding me? When I said not sending them to school, what made you think home schooling was not included in that? I mean school is right in it's name still. So if a child is being home schooled that is still school. So not sending your child to school ... I literally meant any school. I didn't think I was required to be so specific since I assumed it's pretty dang obvious what I meant.

bambinod said:
Most kids want to get out of diapers, kids are hard-wired to want to grow up, and diapers are a pretty solid "not grown up" trait they want to ditch.

I generally agree with you. But I've got one 8 year old nephew who just couldn't care less. Still wears diapers and his mom is a bit lazy about working with him to stop. I have mixed feelings on it since I obviously think anyone who wants to wear diapers should be able to, but I also think kids should be properly potty trained so they have the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAO said:
I generally agree with you. But I've got one 8 year old nephew who just couldn't care less. Still wears diapers and his mom is a bit lazy about working with him to stop. I have mixed feelings on it since I obviously think anyone who wants to wear diapers should be able to, but I also think kids should be properly potty trained so they have the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that's definitely unusual. I've read a few stories of parents with older kids, who have no sort of disability, either refusing to do one or both things in the potty or in general refuse to potty train altogether. It's definitely an anomaly.

I think what I might do, if I have kids, is I'll potty train them, but I'll give them the option at some point if they want to wear diapers.

Last edited:
I think any kid that is in diapers late either have a mental issue or some medical problem. I would find it unusual for a young kid to be wearing diapers for AB/DL needs. I don't see any parent allowing that. Would any AB/DL parents here let their young child wear diapers? A teen, fine, they have their own money and can buy their own diapers.

My exboyfriend's ex girlfriend's daughter wore diapers. They could never get her to quit and they tried potty training her for years but then gave up when she started her period. Doctors speculated she failed potty training and refused to quit wearing them was because her mother did drugs while she was pregnant. The girl also had learning disabilities and social issues. My ex saw her as a DL though. I saw photos of her on his computer and it looked like she had a penis because of the diaper bulge. But I saw her on Facebook and I couldn't tell she had diapers on in any of her pictures so she either quit wearing them or she is hiding them. But this was all very unusual and felt like this was something I would read in a story.

Maxx said:
Number 2 grandson was pretty late to train, and still wore diapers to bed until maybe 9.

"Daaaad! Grampa took some of my diapers again!" :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back