Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Granddaughter and my diapers

Default Granddaughter and my diapers

So my granddaughter will be 2 in September and I don't hide my diapers as I'm disabled and everyone knows about them but I have always wandered if a young child such as my granddaughter understands the difference between adult diapers and children's diapers. Well this morning my granddaughter was soaked so I told her to go get me a diaper and to my surprise she went into my room opened the little nightstand and drought me one of my diapers lol I was so blown away thet she knew the difference. I told her she needs to get one of her diapers and she went over and grabbed one off the stack!. This has answered my question about do little children know the difference. Just thought I would share this with all of you.

That's clever but do you think she may not want to potty train?, it's a difficult situation because 2 year olds are likely to not understand why they have to stop wearing diapers, especially if nana wears them! Good luck in potty training when you do, you'll need it!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    That's clever but do you think she may not want to potty train?, it's a difficult situation because 2 year olds are likely to not understand why they have to stop wearing diapers, especially if nana wears them! Good luck in potty training when you do, you'll need it!
    This the exact reason I did hide my diaper wearing when my son was very young (and still hide it for other reasons as well). I did not want to interfere with his development with regards to potty training.

Kids that age understand more than you realize. Most aren't verbal enough to express it. That's becoming clear with my granddaughter (age 2.5) who is exceptionally verbal (at least compared to other kids in my somewhat limited experience). Complete sentences and all that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    I seriously doubt she'll have a problem training. Because unlike a lot of people here, most people find it extremely uncomfortable being wet or "messy". Sorry I seem so brutally honest, but that's just how normal folks function.

My son once called my diapers "mommy diapers." Kids know more than we think.

Kids do the darnedest things...

You do have to give kids credit. They definitely know more than we may realize.

but do you think its ok not to potty train them

Quote Originally Posted by icklespace View Post
    but do you think its ok not to potty train them
    Its not even remotely ok. at least in my book. that breaches that idea of not forcing your children into becoming certain things. you have to give them the opportunity to be able to enter society and become who they wish later on in life.

thats pretty much child abuse in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post
    Its not even remotely ok. at least in my book. that breaches that idea of not forcing your children into becoming certain things. you have to give them the opportunity to be able to enter society and become who they wish later on in life.

thats pretty much child abuse in my opinion.
    I would say not encouraging behavior that averages on socially acceptable, leading to them getting opstracized later in life, is probably not chid abuse, but is definitely irresponsible parenting. (I don't see "child abuse" and "irresponsible parenting" as being damaging to the same degree)

You can have kids and only teach them how to speak klingon, there's no law against that specifically, but it'll probably do them a disservice in life. Part of being a parent is preparing your children for integration into society. The details of how they do that or how you prepare them is up to you, but you have to be making responsible decisions so as not to get them off to a crappy start.

But I don't think that's an easy one to call. Parents usually want final say in how they raise their kids, they want to bring them up with a minimum of "interferance". Unfortunately, some people are idiots, and a lot of those idiots are also parents, so you're going to get bad parenting some of the time. It's like any other fredom, you have to decide at what point it becomes unacceptable, draw a line, and not try to enforce the will of society past that line.