Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about the future...

Default Thoughts about the future...

Well I don't know where to start, but really I just don't know what I want to do with myself at this point...I'm of course referring to my future and ideas maybe as to what I want to do or become or whatever...Well I finished high school last summer, and I've basically taken a year off as a break to try to get my head together and figure things out for myself...believe me, I really needed it...I've figured a lot of things out myself over that long period of time, but none of them have given me any sort of direction as to where I go from here...I wanted to go to college, but I can't even think of the slightest thing I'd like to take...I've gone over it and over it...And I can't stay working where I am for the rest of my life in this dead-end job. Time and the extra money from working full-time has helped me for the first time in years get out of depression for an extended period of time...But in the last week I feel like I've been slipping back into that all over again...(Not any specific reason either) Kind of losing hope for the future that I'll be stuck here forever...And the worst thing is, I really don't have many goals either...So there's nothing to go for really right now...I don't know where I'm going with this, but anyway...Just some thoughts I wanted to put out there...

EmeraldsAndLime

Yes, definitely taking a year off is good for reflection. I'm doing it right now and I can honestly say it's one of the best things I've ever done. I've gotten so much organised and I've realised quite a few things already. Clearing the head is definitely the best idea if you are concerned about your future. It will help prevent you from making any regrettable decisions.

If you are still concerned, think about what you like to do and what you are good at. Research, and from there come up with some possible pathways you could take.

hmm..kind of different for me. when i was JUNIOR in high school, i knew exactly what i wanted to be. graduated, relaxed a little for the summer...and started college that fall.

I'm a SOPHMORE in college now going to get my Bachelor's Degree in Food/Beverage Management

Oh, the old "What am I going to do with with my life?" dilemma eh?.. Yeah, I feel you..

I'm kind of in the same boat right now, but I have narrowed my chioces down some. Here's what I did to help with my lack of knowimg what I wanted to do: I started college, but I am only doing the basics right now. That is a good thing to do because then you observe everything, talk to people, and figure something that you would like to do.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm getting into the Culinary Arts.(Cooking) I like to cook, and a Chef is an awesome job! What is cooler than cutting stuff up, and cooking them all day, and making $60,000 + doing it? Well ,ok, so some things are cooler, but I could never do those things, so I'll stick with what God has given me- no sense trying to learn something I can't do. I've already decided to avoid anything involving Math..
    Last edited by Drosera; 27-Feb-2008 at 16:05. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Chromos View Post
    Oh, the old "What am I going to do with with my life?" dilemma eh?.. Yeah, I feel you..
    Yeah, that's pretty-much it. Thing is...I never really ever had any direction I planned on going in...I don't want to end up going to college, and working hard for something...only to find later that it was a total waste of time. And everyone always says..."do what you're good at"...or "do what you like to do". There isn't anything really that I've found remotely interesting in all honesty...not to be a pessimist. I've looked into them at the local college...even at some of the further-away colleges...I've gone through the courses...So many options, but a lot are either a) something I could never do b) something I could never stand to do for the rest of my life (or any significant chunk of it) or c) no money in it....I'm sorry for being so negative right now...I'm sure there's something out there...I just haven't found it yet.

i don't want to sound cliche, but it's true, do something you're happy with. forget the money and all that because it won't matter much. personally, i was going to school for meterology because i was facinated by storms, but then i found out there was no money in it. then i decided i was going to make music because it was fun, but people told me it was unreasonable for a job. now i'm looking into computer science and that's what i'm sticking with because it's fun and i can adapt into any of the first two ideals i had when growing up.
    it's all about living for yourself. just step back and think 'if i could be anything what would i be?', but truly think about it. don't discredit any ideas because of this or that or whatever. it's your life, make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    i don't want to sound cliche, but it's true, do something you're happy with. forget the money and all that because it won't matter much. personally, i was going to school for meterology because i was facinated by storms, but then i found out there was no money in it. then i decided i was going to make music because it was fun, but people told me it was unreasonable for a job. now i'm looking into computer science and that's what i'm sticking with because it's fun and i can adapt into any of the first two ideals i had when growing up.
    it's all about living for yourself. just step back and think 'if i could be anything what would i be?', but truly think about it. don't discredit any ideas because of this or that or whatever. it's your life, make it happen.
    Thanks. I think really my biggest interest is music...I know a bit about it, and really get into and enjoy it...But that could only ever be a hobby...And really I think that's probably the same for everyone else anyway. I don't know how you could ever make it with that...Other than that, I don't know for anything that might actually be a job...I was pretty-much average in everything in school...I don't think I could cook or anything...I don't really want anything dangerous...I don't want a repetitive job...I'd like it to be interesting and not boring...but at the same time, I don't want it to be totally random and unexpected. I don't know other than that...I tried the "if I could be anything thing"...I really can't see myself as anything in particular...but thanks for bearing with me here, with ideas.

You might try going down to an unemployment office. I am pretty sure that they will have one of those tests that you can take to get a general idea where your true interests lie. It doesn't mean that you need to become a plumber if it says you like working with your hands and water but it can lead you to look closer at some more specific career fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    You might try going down to an unemployment office. I am pretty sure that they will have one of those tests that you can take to get a general idea where your true interests lie. It doesn't mean that you need to become a plumber if it says you like working with your hands and water but it can lead you to look closer at some more specific career fields.
    I already have a job as it is...It's just the one I have I hate...Would I still be able to go in there and take the test anyway, if I ever decided to?

Darkfinn

I went from HS straight to College... no break... it really burned me out as the first year at the univ. is a hassle with arsehole roommates and parties 24/7... makes it hard to be a good student.

With the way things are set up anymore you need to know exactly what you want to study before you get to college... or you end up there for 5-6 years instead of 4... which gets really expensive.

I took 2 years then decided it wasn't for me and was costing way too much... working 40+ hours a week just so you can live and trying to take classes on top of it was overkill. So I quit. I may go back one day... or finish my degree online (an increasingly popular option now). But for now I'm working... just started as warehouse manager for a small company down the road from my apt. The money isn't stellar... but it's better than flipping burgers... it's enough to live on and not need a 2nd job.

Sure I can't have everything I want... but here in the states it's becoming harder and harder for even 4-year college grads to find a job... and they typically come out of school $30,000 to $50,000 in debt with student loans... which is a lot of money to be looking at paying back.

Overall I'm happy with where I am in life... if I had a choice I probably wouldn't have bothered with those 2 years at the univ. at all.