Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affect Music has..

Unhappy Affect Music has..

Does anyone else have this issue where a single song can just make a perfect mood into like total sadness and just spoil a whole day

A few songs have a real meaning to me and can cause this, but I'm finding more and more songs seem to be having this affect on me..

Actually, music tends to make my bad day into a good one. Always.

I guess it must depend on the type of music then, I don't seem to ever have that happen for me, I do tend to listen to more heavy music not sure if that has that affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylexon View Post
    I guess it must depend on the type of music then, I don't seem to ever have that happen for me, I do tend to listen to more heavy music not sure if that has that affect.
    Well, I listen to progressive metal primarily; powerful pieces that hit the listener deep inside while having the listener think hard about their complexity. Music is my life, so I fully embrace that deep feeling.

Music engages the entire brain and is one of the few things to do so. Sad songs actually make me sad for a bit, but then happy and motivated. Music in general helps me draw.

I have a tough time with most of what I hear anymore, to be honest. So often, the songs are either depressing in tone, or they seem rather void of emotion. It's as if, to be a popular music artist, you have to be an over-the-top tragic figure or a mindless dance-bot. When I hear people talk about how amazing Adele is, for instance, I'm just totally mystified. I mean yeah, she's got pipes, but gosh... Sing something that's not about loss, breakups, death, etc. When I listen to music, I want to be uplifted, not feel like I'm the singer's therapist or something. Go whine to somebody else! If I want to think about problems, I'll think about my own problems.

That's why I mostly listen to trance and other instrumental stuff. Classical, even. I can think my own thoughts and just let the sound carry me along. Lyrics can wreck just about any good tune, especially if they include the word "baby". How ironic. (The "Baby-baby-baby" song from Elmo's World gets a pass, though.)

My own preferences and opinions, naturally. You're free to somehow like that Adele-type stuff. Somehow...
    Last edited by Cottontail; 24-Jul-2016 at 08:07.

Music tends to make a bad day into a good one for me.

I've always loved listening to music, even though I have no musical talent to speak of. I was a teenager in the 70's, so I listened to a lot of the rock music of the day, such as Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, but I pretty much listened to everything. I particularly related to the softer, literate rock music of Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, and Jackson Browne. This was the first generation of real singer-songwriters. Unlike a lot of people of my age at that time, I also loved Barbra Streisand,, the best singer in the world who could just sing the f**k out of a ballad. There's no one like her in any generation who can sing like that.

After having survived the near death of music during the disco era, I still found people were making good music that often had a message: Bruce Springsteen, John Mellancamp, and I also started listening to some classical and even opera. I pretty well enjoy any kind of music, however as a Canadian, I feel a profound responsibility to apologize for Justin Bieber and CÚline Dion

I think there is a lot of great music available in every generation but the marketing is completely different now than when I was growing up. They're out there but you really have to look hard to find them. Youtube and American Idol can launch a mediocre talent into superstardom while true artists continue to struggle to be heard. However, I still feel encouraged that the future of music is in good hands when I hear young, intelligent up-and-coming artists such as Jake Bugg, Noah Gunderson, Lucas Graham, and James Bay.

Here's a confession; the first band I loved as a kid was the Monkees, who I just saw two weeks ago at the Blues Festival here in Ottawa.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 24-Jul-2016 at 14:07.

I knew a guy who played the opening song from Napoleon Dynamite on his cell. And I was all like "yo that song's from Napoleon Dynamite! You remember that movie?". And he just stopped playing the song and said "I fucking hate Napoleon Dynamite". His whole day went to shit after I said that I guess, some people are just odd.

To answer your question there aren't any songs that make me feel bad really. Unless they're really fringe songs just created to mess with people and have no artistic merit. Mostly songs make anywhere from happy to neutral but never profoundly and genuinely sad.

Love music, as much as my diapers, really. That may sound dumb, but they're both ingrained in my soul, having had diapers in my soul for the past 60 years, and music for just slightly less.

And, no, a song rarely takes me to a bad place, but oftentimes takes me into a reflective mood. Many songs take me back to the time in my life when they were first released, reminding me of where I was at right then, and perhaps of whom I was involved with, and that can be a good/bad reminder, but again, it's more of a reflective thing.

When I play certain songs, I do oftentimes almost come to tears, because they really reach deep. It gets hard to be singing, when you're on the verge of crying for soulful lyrics...