Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More information from the poke'tard

Default More information from the poke'tard

This is from Serebii.net:

Damage = ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100

Seems long and confusing? Compared to the other formula's, this one is easy as pie. Let me explain all the variables first. Damage is, well, damage, the output number. Level is your pokemon's current level. AttackStat is your pokemon's Attack/Special Attack stat, whichever one is being used at the moment. DefenseStat is your opponents Defense/SpecialDefense stat, depending on the attack your pokemon is using. AttackPower is the power of the specific move you're using. For example, if you were to have been using Thunderbolt, you would have a 95 for this variable seeing as in the status screen, there's a 95 clearly marked in the move description when you select it. STAB is the same type attack bonus. If you're using a move that coordinates with your own type, you get a 1.5 bonus here. Otherwise, this variable is equal to 1. Weakness/Resistance depends on if your move was super-effective or otherwise. This variable could be 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, or 4 depending on how effective your attack was. RandomNumber is simply a Random Number between 85 and 100.

Now let's use this formula. Say I wanted to see the effectiveness of Umbreon's bite on an Espeon (I'm using neutral-nature maximum stats for this example). The pokemon are both level 100. Bite's attack power is 60. Lets say the Random Number is 100. Now let's plug in all the numbers:

Damage = ((((2 * 100 / 5 + 2) * 219 * 60 / 289) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2 * 100 / 100
    Damage = ((((42) * 219 * 60 / 289) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2
    Damage = (((1909.6) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2
    Damage = 44.9
    Damage = ~45

You may be saying WTF THATS TOO LOW but that's indeed near what it's going to be. Umbreon's Special Attack isn't that great and Espeon's Special defense is decent, so it makes sense why that number's pretty low. Try it out with a Kyogre's Surf vs. a Magikarp. :P

Oh yeah, you may be wondering how Swords Dance and those attacks up your stats. Well, each of the moves like that will up your stat or decrease your stats depending on the move a number of levels, maximum is six. Say you used Howl and upped your Attack stat by 1 level. What does that translate to? Well depending how many levels you have, those moves will up either your Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, or Special Defense stats by a certain percentage.

-6 levels: 25%
    -5 levels: 29%
    -4 levels: 33%
    -3 levels: 40%
    -2 levels: 50%
    -1 level: 66%
    0 levels: 100%
    1 level: 150%
    2 levels: 200%
    3 levels: 250%
    4 levels: 300%
    5 levels: 350%
    6 levels: 400%
    That's basically all I can think of in calculating a move's damage.

Mesmerale

Too much stuff...

Will read later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Pokemon is now dead. Thanks for overcomplicating a fun game.
    It's more complicated than you might think, Pojo. Ever heard of Effort Value? Or ever look up a pokemon's base stats? Pokemon is all about strategy.

Mesmerale

I'ma do some EV training right now!

Do you seriously think that much into it? I thought the strategy was pretty common sense, with out needing a calculator nearby

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Do you seriously think that much into it? I thought the strategy was pretty common sense, with out needing a calculator nearby
    Then don't use it... I was just putting it out there because it was interesting. I don't use it either.

Mesmerale

The strategy to win the game is common sense.

The strategy to have the best Pokemon possible is math.

Quote Originally Posted by Latias714 View Post
    Then don't use it... I was just putting it out there because it was interesting. I don't use it either.
    Then you don't want to battle me then.

EV training can net over 50 more stat points I think, if not more. Also EV training is easy as hell. The breeding for IV's is what sucks. If a pokemon had maxed out EV's and IV's which is possible but the likelihood of it happening is around 1 in 80,000 and that's with a whole days worth of breediing and checking. In the end it WILL wipe the floor with you.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Then you don't want to battle me then.

EV training can net over 50 more stat points I think, if not more. Also EV training is easy as hell. The breeding for IV's is what sucks. If a pokemon had maxed out EV's and IV's which is possible but the likelihood of it happening is around 1 in 80,000 and that's with a whole days worth of breediing and checking. In the end it WILL wipe the floor with you.
    31 IVs.

6 stats.

Odds of 1 stat getting 31. 1/31

Odds of 2 stats getting 31. 1/31^2 == 1/961

Odds of 3 stats getting 31. 1/31^3 == 1/29,791

Odds of 4 stats getting 31. 1/31^4 == 1/923,521

Odds of 5 stats getting 31. 1/31^5 == 1/28,629,151

Odds of all six stats getting 31. 1/31^6 == A whopping 1 in every 887,503,681

For every eight-hundred-eighty-seven million, five hundred and three thousand, six hundred and eighty-one pokemon that you breed, one of those pokemon will have all six stats of 31.

The odds are a little scewed because breeding selects the IVs strangely, but it's the same extreme range of odds in the end.
    Last edited by Mesmerale; 11-Mar-2009 at 11:39. Reason: Deleted some, added something else. :)