Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rejection sucks!

Default Rejection sucks!

So I just got the letter telling me I didn't get the job I applied for. Basically I would have been doing the exact same thing I'm doing now, but I wouldn't have been limited to 1500 hours in a year (gov't part-time bs) and I would have full time benefits etc.
    It's just so frustrating, because ever since I graduated in May, I have been trying (4th rejection letter now) to get a better wage. I don't even care that it's not degree-specific. I just want steady income so I can start paying off these horrendous loans. Right now I am on a sinking ship, and I need more income soon or I'll be defaulting my loans before long.
    I hate this feeling. I bought a suit I couldn't afford so I would look good for the interview, I prepared questions and answers, I even made sure none of the interviewers had any reservations or concerns... It keeps on feeling like the only job I and my resume are good for is one where the interview is simply a formality and they were going to hire me anyway (because they need me more than I need them).

So, that's how I'm feeling right about now... Any feedback would be appreciated. How have you guys dealt with rejection in the face of adversity?

Oh God can I relate.

The thing that is even more annoying is that the cowards do not talk to you just send an impersonal letter.

The hard part is to keep your head up and keep applying.

Look at the positive side and at least you are getting interviews.

I know, right? Is it too much to ask that someone say it to my face, and why? I'd like to know, so I can do better in the following interviews...
    I have another application out for the same company, but it's not what I've been doing. It's human resources... And I have a degree in Meteorology :p. I guess I have to start applying to other places. I just hate it, 2 jobs was hard enough for one semester, let alone the foreseeable future.

It's a sad world we live in. I've been struggling with being a truck driver. The demand for trick drivers is sky high, but companies still pay drivers terribly.

Yes it is better than most local work in terms of physical nature. There isn't much actual work involved, but the time being away from everyone that you love, you're limited to what you can do during your non driving time. Basically, you live in a closet. You have the front seats and a bed. Some storage space underneath and over the bed. It can get pretty boring. Other than that you can sit in the truck stop.

I'm frustrated by the amount of time spent driving trucks for a living and being away from your families and only average $2500 per month. It's hardly enough to live comfortably. You basically have enough money for your bills and nothing else. I can't splurge or "reward" myself.

This makes me feel like I don't have an opportunity to enjoy things that I like. When I do have things at home, but I'd like to enjoy myself while out on the road as well. It's near impossible to be happy in a closet. It's also mentally straining to be away, stuck unable to go home or anywhere for that matter. You are stuck on your truck or truck stop.

It's expensive to live on the road. You can easily spend $20- $30 a day on meals and drinks. You can say to buy lunch meat and bread, but we shouldn't have to be forced to live this way. Why live on the road and still struggle to make ends meet. According to statistics, I'm making under state cost of living expenses. I live in Louisiana, which is lower than most.

What I'm basically stating is that for the amount of time involved in this industry, basically the money isn't worth it. Companies could care less about any drivers.

Seeking feedback post rejection isn't exactly a bad idea. Most of the time people will give very vague answers due to all sorts of liability issues, but sometimes you might get actual useful feedback.

It may just come down to their being someone better for whatever reason or just plain luck. When we've interviewed for people we usually cut the list down to 10 or so that we actually want to talk to, and I'd say on average it comes down to a hard choice between 3 (with usually a few that would have been ok and the rest that make us re-think our initial screening process).

As shitty as it is, unfortunately networking is the way to really get the good jobs. You do have one major leg up in that you are currently employed (paradoxically having a job makes you more employable). As people get to know you and the kind of work you do and then move on to other jobs, you start to develop a network of people who can give you a heads up about open reqs or a direct recommendation. Don't be blatant or annoying about it, but if you have friends working elsewhere let them know you are looking for work. Being vouched for by a current employee will always make you a much more appealing candidate.

You can also try to expand your career from your current position. I know the pain of government work and casual work terms, but maybe try to get more exposure doing what you are currently doing.. take on more responsibility, help out in a different department to broaden your experience, and just generally try to kick ass at your job.

with a degree in meteorology, it may be worth looking abroad for openings. the UK Met Office has recently lost the BBC contract to, i seem to remember hearing, a Dutch firm,
    Australia is also a good place, with their extremes and stuff.

other than that, i'm in as much of a pickle. virtually all jobs are now 'online application' and are often sorted by some strange, and certainly unworthy, method. and when you get the rejection e-mail, there's no address to reply to.
    my latest rejection, last week, was from a nationwide automotive parts & gadget retailer to whom i've applied for the same position the several times before. you'd think that with such a turnover of staff they'd suss that they were doing it wrong.
    'you'd think', but i actually think that they don't want free-minded, experienced individuals; judging by whom they've previously taken on, they just want mindless, unknowing robots who'll do whatever they're told.

Being an older disabled adult, I understand about being rejected for employment.
    In my final life's employment search, from October of 2001 to December of 2006, I received no rejection letters whatsoever.
    2001 - 1 job interview - Not Hired
    2002 - 1 job interview - Not Hired
    2003 - 1 job interview - Not Hired
    2004 - 1 job interview - Not Hired
    2005 - 1 job interview - Not Hired
    2006 - 1 job interview - Not Hired
    In December of 2006, at age 48, I had to permanently give up trying to be in the workforce as an adult with Mild Autism and Cerebral Palsy and go onto SSDI.
    I sent out around 3,000 resumes as a graduate of Wentworth Institute, and received only 6 replies, only 1 per year from October of 2001 to December of 2006.
    Anyway, at the 6 job interviews over those years, right from the moment I walked into the front door, it was obvious that I would not be hired, even being neat, clean, and in a 3-piece suit.
    Essentially at all 6 interviews, I was "treated like shit", and in 20-20 hindsight, they were a waste of my time and gasoline in my car.
    Anyway, this is my experience with searching for employment.

Well caitianx look on the bright side we are getting our social security money out that we paid when we worked most people will not.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    Well caitianx look on the bright side we are getting our social security money out that we paid when we worked most people will not.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    When I was intermittently working as a disabled adult from June 1978 to October of 2001, I worked my arse off, mostly for ignorant petty shitheads who only needed me to save their fucking arses all the time for their own unmitigated fuck-ups in the workplace.

I'll also add the very common but good advice of actually going into places and applying in person. A lot of places will have someone chat with you, and it's going to make way more of an impression than a piece of paper in a stack of 100 other resumes (or worse, an email inbox).