Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Melania Trump's Speechwriters: Mr. Copy and Mr. Paste

  1. #1

    Default Melania Trump's Speechwriters: Mr. Copy and Mr. Paste

    So the Republican Convention is off to a fun start. While the Donald's lack of discipline and blunt speaking have turned off a lot of Republicans, Melania's speech was a planned, carefully scripted affair.. In fact parts of the speech appear to have been copied word for word from a speech given by Michelle Obama eight years ago.

    http://thegrio.com/2016/07/19/plagia...s-2008-speech/

    Some on social media have suggested that the speechwriters may be to blame; however, Melania told NBC’s Matt Lauer last week, “I read once over it and that’s all because I wrote it with as little help as possible.”

    From the Trump speech:

    “From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily lives. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son,”

    And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

    From the Obama speech:

    “And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.

    And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and to pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

    One of the phrases Melania altered was about treating people with dignity and respect "even if you don't know them." Coming from the Trump camp, that should come as no surprise.

    It seems bizarre that she would riff the words of a high profile Democrat to use for a high profile Republican event. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

  2. #2

    Default

    Heard about this on NPR this morning. Honestly, some people just lack the creative gene. Speeches are generally never that different from one another, but when it's almost word-for-word from another speech... ¡maldito!

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    In fact parts of the speech appear to have been copied word for word from a speech given by Michelle Obama eight years ago.
    Possible, but consider that we're talking about the same vapid sort of platitudes politicians' wives have been spouting since teleprompters were chiseled stone tablets. Of course there's going to be some parallels.

    If I thought it were worth it, I'd dig through old speeches and find a dozen others that predated Mrs. Obama AND Mrs. Trump.

    A non-controversy.

    P.S. A random thought: maybe it WAS intentional... a not-so-subtle mocking of Mrs. Obama by repetition. It wouldn't be the first time the Trump campaign tweaked the media to get free publicity.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Possible, but consider that we're talking about the same vapid sort of platitudes politicians' wives have been spouting since teleprompters were chiseled stone tablets. Of course there's going to be some parallels.

    If I thought it were worth it, I'd dig through old speeches and find a dozen others that predated Mrs. Obama AND Mrs. Trump.

    A non-controversy.

    P.S. A random thought: maybe it WAS intentional... a not-so-subtle mocking of Mrs. Obama by repetition. It wouldn't be the first time the Trump campaign tweaked the media to get free publicity.
    I disagree, Maxx. First of all, There are so many Republicans at this convention who are still repulsed at the idea of Trump as leader, they needed to ensure these kinds of mishaps would not occur, since it only gives the media and Democrats more fodder. Look at how much of the convention coverage is on her speech, as opposed to the other high profile speakers like Scott Baio, the Duck Dynasty guy, and the underwear model. Okay, never mind. Anyway, the aftermath and coverage of it is on the organizers and Trump's handlers, no one else.

    Secondly, she speech she pilfered spoke of her values, and the family's values they instilled in their children. It's incomprehensible to think she couldn't come up with her own definition of values or shown any of her own that she had to go and steal them from someone else. While speeches from a spouse are expected to be heavy on platitudes and light on substance, they are also an indication of the speaker's authenticity, morals, and credibility.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Secondly, she speech she pilfered spoke of her values, and the family's values they instilled in their children. It's incomprehensible to think she couldn't come up with her own definition of values or shown any of her own that she had to go and steal them from someone else. While speeches from a spouse are expected to be heavy on platitudes and light on substance, they are also an indication of the speaker's authenticity, morals, and credibility.
    Name one speech in a similar situation that DIDN'T say essentially "We want to make this country better for our children and our children's children"

    Like garage bands.... they all bang on the same chords.

    At first, I was surprised as you that there was so much coverage of Melania's speech. After a moment's thought, I realized I shouldn't have been. Everyone in the establishment; media, party regulars, RINO's, other would be candidates, they all fear the Donald because they don't own him. As they have been for months, they're looking for anything, any and every chance to torpedo him. This was pretty weak, probably the best manufactured controversy they could come up with on the first day of the convention. Tomorrow it will be something else.

    Edit: Let's also note that English is not Melania's first language, so its a safe bet she had help from one of more speech writers. Maybe she didn't get the first team. First day convention speeches aren't generally the varsity. Maybe the guy she drew had a lot of other things on his plate and got a little lazy. Or.......given that, as you say, most of the party despises/fears Trump and are behaving like the big government Democrats they are under the skin... perhaps the guy was a plant and did it intentionally. All the more reason to vote for Trump and rub their big government establishment noses in it.

    Edit 2: If you really think this is a huge deal, I challenge you, from this day forward, to never ever use phrases, sentences or concepts you might have once heard someone else use. Among other things, that's going to seriously limit you in discussions here in the mature topics forum.
    Last edited by Maxx; 19-Jul-2016 at 18:29.

  6. #6

    Default

    Let's not forget that both Obama and Biden have plagiarized from other speeches as well.

  7. #7

    Default

    Am I gong to get sued for wishing someone a nice day? Good grief!

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Possible, but consider that we're talking about the same vapid sort of platitudes politicians' wives have been spouting since teleprompters were chiseled stone tablets. Of course there's going to be some parallels.

    If I thought it were worth it, I'd dig through old speeches and find a dozen others that predated Mrs. Obama AND Mrs. Trump.

    A non-controversy.

    P.S. A random thought: maybe it WAS intentional... a not-so-subtle mocking of Mrs. Obama by repetition. It wouldn't be the first time the Trump campaign tweaked the media to get free publicity.
    The stars must be aligning because I actually agree with Maxx on this one...

    Yeah it looks suspiciously similar - I'm sure if you put it through some plagiarism software it would light up like a Christmas tree - but both speeches were so dull and cliché, who cares? It could easily be a mistake, two political wives forced by the role they are in to talk in the same platitudes discovering the same formula independently. On the other hand it is 100% a Trump move to get free publicity for a dull speech by creating a silly fight about it, and perhaps shades of the dead cat strategy too...

    Joe Biden was famous at one time for re-using any nice bit of rhetoric that came his way

  9. #9

    Default

    Nate Silver referred to this as the "perfect Trump scandal" because it's grossly incompetent conduct by his campaign, yet has nothing to do with substance when what's much more problematic about Trump than his conduct is the substance.

    Basically, this shouldn't happen in a competent campaign. Convention speeches are normally vetted with a fine-tooth comb; this was a matter of screening a keynote speech through basic detection software.

    Not only did the speech have blatant plagiarism, but there's also an apparent Rick-Roll in it. Perhaps what speaks worst of all for the Trump campaign is that this story is dragging into another day because the Trump campaign can't admit a mistake and fire some sacrificial staffer to save its life; instead its excuses have dragged out a distracting story in the middle of their convention.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fruitkitty View Post
    Nate Silver referred to this as the "perfect Trump scandal" because it's grossly incompetent conduct by his campaign, yet has nothing to do with substance when what's much more problematic about Trump than his conduct is the substance.

    Basically, this shouldn't happen in a competent campaign. Convention speeches are normally vetted with a fine-tooth comb, but not only did the speech have blatant plagiarism, but there's also an apparent Rick-Roll in it. Perhaps what speaks worst of all for the Trump campaign is that this story is dragging into another day because the Trump campaign can't admit a mistake and fire some sacrificial staffer to save its life; instead its excuses have dragged out a distracting story in the middle of their convention.
    Nah, I reckon it's a deliberate "dead cat"... think about it...

    Plagiarised or not, a speech given by the candidates wife is not going to shift votes away from Donald Trump (not unless she had said something genuinely negative, instead of just cliché and possibly lifted, and even then it would have to be pretty far off message to damage the Trump campaign.)

    However this small stakes row has:

    >cast Donald Trump in the honourable role of a husband defending his wife (remember how the stuff about wives between Trump and Cruz played out back in March)
    >encouraged Democrats / Dem supporters to say mean things about Mrs Trump, thus adding legitimacy to the idea that spouses are fair game (the Donald will want to attack Hilary by going after Bill...)
    >encouraged Republicans who were sceptical of Trump to close ranks around his campaign, a habit that Trump wants them to get into
    >disrupted the Democrats media strategy for this news cycle - rest assured they wanted us to be talking about something genuinely bad that Donald Trump had done, not something his wife may or may not have done that makes no odds...
    >the Trump base see the "liberal media" picking on their candidates family for a minor sin, something they will see as bullying and hypocrisy, and re-enforces their image of Trump as an outsider willing to smash the system on their behalf.

    So at the end of this - his image is improved, his troops are more loyal, his enemies' plans are disrupted and he has a new opening to attack...

    That course in propaganda warfare he got from his secret paymasters in Russia was really something... *puts on tin-foil hat*

Similar Threads

  1. Baby Oil or butt paste?
    By blondiewoof in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2015, 06:57
  2. Triple Paste for Rash
    By PFD in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2014, 22:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.