Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: even morer DIY :p

Default even morer DIY :p

so, there i was, baking a cake (jam-sponge, if you wanna be sexy about it) and as the first half finished and i opened the door, the oven conked out. dead. at thirteen months old.
    now, the cake was a little treat to myself for having been in annoying pain for x-amount of time and the plan was to take things easy and recover as best as could be (no lifting, no driving, etc), and the oven dying was the icing on the, erm, stress-cake.
    luckily, as i'd thought, we had the old oven, of the same type (Panasonic slimline combi), in the shed and it only has a grumbling fan-bearing. even luckilier then, as it was night, i had only just put fresh bulbs in the security-light (although the universe may be trying to tell me something) and so i dug out the old oven from behind all the other heavy stuff, and i then put that heavy back. in pain

after a cleaning, i swapped them over and ran the old oven through a heating cycle to burn off any residues and mould.
    at the end of that, the old oven conked out. dead. just like the new oven.

this is where you have to give 'fair dues' to pain because, had i been fit and well, i would've smashed the shit out of something. then again, had i been fit and well, i'd be working and would've just bought a cake from Asda.

and, by this point, i was too stressed and in too much pain to do anything proper. i reckoned it was just a fuse that had blown, in both cases, although it was pretty weird for both to go as they did.
    after a rest, i opened the new oven and sure enough, the internal [special] fuse had blown. as you'd expect [all things ade], finding the rating of the fuse was another load of bollocks as the stamping on the fuse was hardly discernable. i couldn't be arsed digging out a camera and tripod, at that point, but here's a pic i took today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_0717a0238 Large Web view.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	26644

the characters are each less than a millimetre in width, but i guessed at 15amp, but didn't know the speed.
    and the internet was no help. and the nearest stockist of suchlike had only 10amp fuses. and, no, i couldn't rip my hair out (not with my shoulders).

more resting and seething followed. then, i re-checked the oven's specs.
    at full whack, the claimed current draw is 9.6 amps, but we never use the oven at full whack and, at our useage, the average draw would be 5.5 to 7 amps

and so, pack o' ten fuses for less than four quid later, we're oveneering again

'course, i didn't get to finish my cake and had to make do with only half a cake.
    i'm currently awaiting the explosion of the Sun as i'm sure it's warranty's just run out. who's got the receipt?

That's unlucky, I hope you got your cake in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    I hope you got your cake in the end!
    i beg your puddin'!!!

i did half a cake; cut the sponge base in half, slapped on the jam and there you go.
    the oven conked out, again, the day after as i opened the door, again. i've checked the door micro-switch operating mechanism and while the switches do seem unsecure, that may be a design intent [for the use by the cackhanded; or soldier/idiot-proof as may be said] and it may be my gentleness of use which is unliked by the mechanism?
    anyway, 8 fuses to go

well, got the car through another MOT.
    gave the rear brakes an overhaul and new pads and discs, beforehand. it needed it as one of the calipers had partially seized on it's guide-pins. only done 2k miles this past year; no wonder that the grease-monkeys were ogling the car, yet again, "you've had that a while. hard to find a straight one, nowadays".
    i wonder how much they'd give for it?

upcoming projects: kitchen sink tap (faucet), fence anchor/brace and letterbox bag.
    the tap began leaking last week and got worse throughout the day. when i dismantled it, it was obvious that the rubber seals were worn, but they aren't standard tap-washers (i 'found' the tap at work some years ago and it's quite a posh one). the bloke at the local plumb centre was no help and talked a load of codswallop, so i decided to get one of the american style taps of Amazon, at 47. it's fecking massive, btw!!! and despite the old one being 'posh', it's a pretty crap mixer for a mixer-tap. hopefully, the new one will give warm, instead of freezing cold or scalding hot.
    the Amazon Prime i got on special offer is coming in handy evermore with the demise of B&Q, especially as you can have it as a family account and share payment methods.
    naturally, once i'd temporarily reassembled the tap, it stopped leaking. grr.

and the drill bit for the anchor bolts came, today, from Amazon. so, weather permitting, i can make the bracing frame, soon.

and the letterbox bag........well:

Name:	2013_0122a0018 Large e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	26731

not really to protect the post, but more the dog from the junk mail which gets slipped through quietly and often has stapled items.
    bags can be bought, starting from 35 on Amazon, but they look too costly for what they are. i'm making my own from the old scrub-suits and, all being well, will be an underlapping pocket affair, meaning no need for velcro, and secured to the door with bolts.
    it should be a zero-cost gig as i have everything i should need. i'll post pics of the process and result for those who want to copy.

letterbox bag on test:

Name:	P7290110 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	26794

the big test is this weekend's newspapers. mum threw away last weekend's, so i couldn't do a decent testing. it works with the post, though, and a single paper.
    i had a dilemma with the inner flap's hem, on which side to put it:

Name:	P7290112 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	26795

i didn't want to put it on the inside where it may snag any post or papers, but on the outside risked snagging one of mum's nails when she delved into the bag. mum won. but, i think that a final design would have the hem going all the way to the top of the bag on the outside of the inner flap to eliminate the snagging risk altogether.
    a waste of material, maybe, but i was already short of material which, along with my workman's/whip stitch, accounts for the Frankensteiny look.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    so, there i was, baking a cake (jam-sponge, if you wanna be sexy about it)
    Ironically, my first romantic girlfriend/escapade, was with a jam-spongecake, and yes, it was unprotected sex!!!

On a more serious note, sorry to hear about all your aches and pains, though well done on finding the problem and repairing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    On a more serious note, sorry to hear about all your aches and pains....
    oo! ta!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    .... well done on finding the problem and repairing it.
    well, i'm not wholly sure were we are on that, yet (it died on mum, too, so it's not just me ).
    i know the micro-switches are dodgily secured, but i do also have to wonder if there may be a bad contact around the heating element area??? so far, a new regimen of stopping the oven with the operating controls before opening the door, rather than replying on the door's automatic cutouts, seems to have stopped the oven blowing fuses (what are the odds that it states to do so in the owner's manual? )

and......
    Saturday's newspapers were delivered with no problem. the big one, tomorrow: Sunday papers and all their suppliments

fence abraced:

Name:	IMG_20160807_211657 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	26919

a two day job. the forecast was for one good day, but by the end of that, they said the next was also good. and i needed it because, by the time the nappies towels had dried enough, it was afternoon. everybody was trying to make the most of the good weather; the whole neighbourhood sounded like a factory
    by the end of the first day, i'd made the brace and had begun to inspect the ground to where it would fixed. i then found that i had six inches of sand beneath the paving, before i got to the concrete base. and i then found that i couldn't find the trowel to dig out the sand (weeds had grown around where i left it last ).
    day two began with lengthening the anchor bolts; had i known how long i'd have to do them, i would've gone for thicker bolts.
    i plan to make another brace for the post further up, but not as sturdy and only fastened to the paving.

a wee while ago, i bought a new telly for the kitchen (as that's where i spend most of time): https://www.reevoo.com/p/jvc-lt-22c540
    the store i bought it from recently e-mailed me asking for my review of it, and that reminded me of what i need to do to it:
    fit proper, forward-facing speakers!!!!!
    the sound quality of it, with it's rear-facing speakers, is crap. once i'd realized this, i was sorely tempted to take it back, but there were/are no alternatives. i mean, come on, that whole speaker thing was ditched a long time ago as being crap. the sound should be directed at the viewer, not at the floor, ceiling and walls. it really does take the piss, especially when you get clearer sound in any other position than the one from which you view.
    i'll probably cannibalize an old lcd tv for the speakers (yay! for being a hoarder )

Well done! Looks like you're keeping busy.

I feel like my whole life is DIY these days.

Projects currently in progress or recently done?

Major one involves a full rehab of a formerly-derelict two-family house. It had been stripped of all the wiring and plumbing for the scrap value. Water heaters and boilers were stolen. Radiators were stolen. The original skeleton-key mortise interior door locks were stolen. The kitchen cabinets were stolen. The bathroom fixtures were stolen (except for the cast iron tubs-they were built in too well). Right now, I'm working on restoring some of the exterior stuff to keep the city off my back and getting the electrical wiring done. Plumbing and heating are on my mind, but I don't want to do plumbing until I have heat in the building (Michigan winters are brutal!), and I'm short on cash to do two furnaces right now.

From there, I bought a 1995 Ford F-150 pickup off Craigslist to haul materials for the aforementioned house project. Of course, a 21-year-old truck with 191,000 miles of Michigan roads and Michigan winters needed a complete suspension and steering rebuild. The shock towers looked like Swiss cheese for the rust holes, the shocks themselves were the originals from Ford, and the coil springs had both broken. So, chiseled away the rusted factory rivets for the mount towers and replaced everything with new. From there, all four ball joints (I paid for those to be done, since I hate doing ball joints!), inner and outer tie rods, Pitman arm, and steering gearbox got it. Overall it drives a lot better, although it still doesn't quite like to return to center. Oh well...

Minor projects-building new cabinet faces for our kitchen at home (pieces are made. I need to fix my air compressor so I can spray them with a nice gloss paint and then finish assembly), rebuilding a 1905 ornately-muntined window, and gearing up to make mouldings to match the originals in the project house where they've been too greatly damaged.

Then I wonder why I feel like I never have time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    Major one involves a full rehab of a formerly-derelict two-family house. It had been stripped of all the wiring and plumbing for the scrap value. Water heaters and boilers were stolen. Radiators were stolen. The original skeleton-key mortise interior door locks were stolen. The kitchen cabinets were stolen. The bathroom fixtures were stolen (except for the cast iron tubs-they were built in too well). Right now, I'm working on restoring some of the exterior stuff to keep the city off my back and getting the electrical wiring done. Plumbing and heating are on my mind, but I don't want to do plumbing until I have heat in the building (Michigan winters are brutal!), and I'm short on cash to do two furnaces right now.
    Any advice on how to judge the market for flipping a home? My wife's relocating for work and we've considered buying a foreclosure in the next year to rehab. I can do any interior work on a house (so no foundation work, roofing, siding, etc) but we'd need to be able to sell the home in about 2-3 years and the costs would be minimal. I wouldn't be looking for much profit except to cover the cost of the tools I'd like to buy and of course balancing things out such that in the end all the money we paid on "rent" comes back. The area she's looking in is has a lot of foreclosures and not a ton of stock on the market otherwise so I'm worried that there just aren't enough buyers to go around. Basically, there's a ton of single-family homes with 900-1,000 sqft for $50-70k.