Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
It may explain why I can have a 5 minute break and look at my clock and it has been 2 hours! Oops! I can be hyperactive and restless often, I often have racing thoughts a lot especially at night and have trouble getting to sleep sometimes. I can get easily distracted and if the TV is on or if someone else is talking I forget what I am going to say halfway through my sentence! I have a very short attention span and can get bored pretty quickly and I always fiddle and can't sit still for long! I forget to do stuff a lot and I am always late for everything! Not matter how much prep I do!

I think I have not had the best start in life due to not being diagnosed, I have spoken to dad about it and he thinks I have it, I mean I spend half an hour to an hour in the shower not meaning to because I have the most thoughts while showering! I often act on impulse and regret it later, I can't remember the most improtant points when discussing improtant things because they get missed out as a result! I will proberly think of more examples later on tonight when I am supposed to be asleep!

Before I ruin my life even further, I am going to get help or at least book my appointment tomorrow so I can be calmer and have more access to appropriate thoughts and be able to stop thoughts racing. Does this sound like ADHD to you?

Well Angelic,
Did you know that there are about 5% of children have problems such as ADHD (attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder) and more than half still have ADHD into adulthood. Not a few of these adults have not been diagnosed and are not aware of having ADHD.

Therefore, you should look at the following nine signs of ADHD in order to make the appropriate remedial action.

Less focus
Less focus here is not only mean trouble concentrating. This means your focus is very easily distracted, so it is difficult to listen to others in the conversation, attention to detail, as well as difficult to complete the job or task.

Hyper-focus
Hyper-focus is the opposite of a lack of focus. For example, while working on a preferred job / hobbies, like drowning in your own world that forgot the time. As if the circumstances surrounding the unimportant and entirely ignored. Hyper-focus can adversely affect relationships with others.

Irregularity
Sometimes life looks very chaotic, and almost everyone experienced. But for people with ADHD, life often feels more chaotic than normal people. They find it difficult to live everyday on a regular basis, often due to lack of time management, task difficulty, often delaying, often late and had trouble determining priorities.

Easy to Forget
Occasionally forget is understandable, but a different case if you have ADHD. A person with ADHD is very familiar with the word 'forget'. It includes very often misplaced something and forgot the appointment / important dates. Easy to forget can be bad for your career and relationships with other people, because you might be mistaken for sloppy.

Impulsive behavior
People with ADHD may often cut off the conversation, too hasty in doing something, and act without any consideration. Impulsive behavior can often be seen on the spending habits of a person. Often buy goods that are not able to buy that must go into debt or asked to buy, is a common sign of ADHD in adults.

Emotional disturbance
In addition due to the irregularity, lives with ADHD may look chaotic because of emotional ups and downs. When doing something, they are very easy to get bored and find something else. Few feel frustrated can cause mood instability and depression.

Poor Self Image
Adults who have ADHD can be very critical of themself. This is somewhat due to the inability to maintain concentration and other ADHD symptoms that cause problems in school, work, and relationships with others.

Less Motivation
You might be able to do a variety of tasks at once, but feel unmotivated. This problem is commonly seen in children with ADHD, who often don't focus on homework, but it can also occur in adults.
The combination of the lack of motivation, procrastination and poor time management which makes adult ADHD difficult to complete a project. Not to mention the inability to focus for a long time.

Anxiety
If you have ADHD, you may feel there is encouragement from nowhere to keep moving. If the desire to keep moving not met such as having to sit still or wait, usually there will be feelings of anxiety and worry. Restlessness and anxiety can also be caused due to continue thinking about something alarming.

Aside from the nine symptoms above, there are also some other symptoms that can occur in people with ADHD, among others:
-Show opposition or break rules
-Hard to socialize with others
-Lack of confidence
-Poor ability to organize
-Easily bored and agitated
-Often in a hurry to make decisions

Treatment of ADHD
Although this condition cannot be cured, there are some actions or treatments for people with ADHD. Treatment here means actions or strategies to help control the symptoms of ADHD. The goal is to help sufferers improve social skills, improve their ability to learn / work, boost the child's confidence and keep sufferers from behavior which could endanger yourself.

Treatment for patients with ADHD can include medication or therapy. The drugs are often given by doctors usually stimulants, which are used to help control the attitude of hyperactivity and impulsivity in children, and to help improve focus or attention.

Handling form of therapy (psychotherapy) is also commonly given to people with ADHD. Therapy can be given in the form of social skills training, behavioral modification (behavior), as well as cognitive therapy. Parents and families also normally be given training in the form of an introduction to ADHD, how to deal with the symptoms of ADHD in children, the approaches used, or in the form of support for parents who have children with ADHD.

Thanks
-Max

Yup sounds like me!

I personally think ADHD is one of those things that is overdiagnosed. The symptoms are a common occurrence in most people from time to time and for all sorts of various reasons. For example, all those listed by MaxToddler, I have experienced besides maybe breaking rules lol. Though I am fairly certain I don't have ADHD. Granted I never actually checked.

I believe these symptoms need to be a fairly common occurrence, like a daily struggle. Not something that just occurs every now and then. So to be diagnosed properly would probably take some time.

I have been like this since I was little

I did not get my diagnosis of ADD until I was 39.

I became suicidal first and had depression spells from the time of 3, but was "just a funny kid".

It was diagnosed as we worked through the life history and why I wound up actively Suicidal.

After we ruled out all of the other possibility including sleep apnea (which I did have but the symptoms did not reduce) and heavy medal poisoning then it was confirmed.

I do not think that it is over diagnosed, but I do think it is over reacted to and not all options are explored by competent professionals.
We went through diversion therapy/coping mechanism and the issues still persisted, so then we went into medications and it took over a year to finally get the correct drug that worked.
This is where a lot of issues come in because the Dr. do not triple check the prescription and the effectiveness and the patients/parents do not want to take the time to follow through either.

I have been in and out of therapy since 2000 and I still have to have regular drug monitoring, but in that time they have gotten to understand things better and I have since had the diagnosis changed to Autism spectrum. This does not mean very much but it does look at the whole picture and not just ADD or depression, or OCD. but the whole interaction of the issues that make me me and why I deal with things the way I do.

So to stop rambling The diagnosis is important and seeing a professional is very important.

Egor

egor said:
I do not think that it is over diagnosed, but I do think it is over reacted to and not all options are explored by competent professionals.

Many doctors would disagree.
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-mind/mood/article/adhd-overdiagnosed

So to stop rambling The diagnosis is important and seeing a professional is very important.

I agree, even if it is over diagnosed, the only way you can get any diagnoses at all is through a professional. So it's really the only option.

brabbit1987 said:
Many doctors would disagree.
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-mind/mood/article/adhd-overdiagnosed

I agree, even if it is over diagnosed, the only way you can get any diagnoses at all is through a professional. So it's really the only option.

If I am reading this correctly then we are saying the same thing from a different point of view.
I do not see a reference list, just quotes. Also the site reference does not have reference list either.

But the point is, the final decider for a diagnosis is a "Professional Prescriber" and parents need to follow through and look at all options.

AEsahaettr said:
Agreed. The problems with MaxToddler's post is that all the symptoms described are incredibly common among people who don't have ADHD. ADHD is a synergistic interaction of those symptoms and while you might suspect you have it, it really requires a professional to accurately diagnose.

Maybe the diagnose is less true, ADHD symptoms sometimes invisible and it does look like a normal person, it was a bit difficult, I'm not a counselor who has high expertise in the field of psychology. indeed to check into a professional person was more better.
I just give an explanation about what I know.

-Max

Last edited:
I once thought I had either ADHD or Down Syndrome. It took a bit of research, but it merely turned out to be me suffering from some head trauma.

As has been said, the only way to get an diagnosis is to see a mental health professional and undergoing evaluation. The process should be some what involved, lengthy, and in depth. Regardless, if you think you're exhibiting and suffering from the symptoms of ADD, even without a diagnosis you can start on initial treatment which would be behavioral and lifestyle changes. Get a two or ninety books on coping with ADD as adult from the library, follow some of the advice therein. Consult relevant websites, follow some of that advice. Look up and try the Pomodoro Method. Treatment doesn't have to be, and long-term probably shouldn't be, stimulant medication.

I have tried everything and it's hard to stop being hyper and unfocused!

Angelic said:
I have tried everything and it's hard to stop being hyper and unfocused!

Maybe you should relieving your stress. if you experienced a period of hyperactive and could not calm down then it would be nice if it starts relieving stress. Relieving stress will help in relieving hyperactivity that is in you to make yourself a little more calm. A quiet atmosphere will also help. If you hear the music too loud and fast it would make you more hyper. Begin to listen to soothing music, relax with a dim room light. Besides, do routine activities and different calming, don't perform the same activity every day, because saturation will also make you feel unsatisfied, so hyper would come itself.

Thanks
-Max

A lot of treating ADD is learning how to cope and work around its limitations. Without being you, or knowing you very well, I can't even begin to guess what would work for you. I know for me, having a set routine and lists was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back